Anesthetics for bone fractures
In this article we will tell you which pain medications are most effective in bone fractures, as well as the rules for taking these medications, contraindications and possible side effects. We remind you that this article is an introductory article. The treatment plan and drug therapy for people who have suffered a serious injury with a fracture, should appoint a doctor.
First steps after getting an
injury Do not start drinking immediately after a fracture analgesic! It is necessary to call an ambulance immediately. Arriving physicians will help to quickly stop the attack of acute pain and take the patient to the emergency department. The doctor will perform an examination and determine the degree of damage based on the radiograph.
If the fact of a bone integrity violation is confirmed, the patient will be plastered to fix the limb and prescribed medications, including pain medications, for subsequent treatment. Anesthetics for fractures
Even a small crack in the bone can cause a person the str
- prevents syncope and traumatic shock;
- rapidly arrest the inflammatory process;
- helps in the restoration of motor functions;
- facilitates respiratory and cardiac activity;
- helps accelerate the recovery processes in the damaged area.
If the pain does not resolve, then the risk of complications increases. A person suffering from pain experiences unceasing tension and powerful emotional stress, and this slows down the recovery. Strong painkillers for fractures are necessarily included in the comprehensive treatment program.
Types of anesthesia
If a person has been diagnosed with a bone fracture, depending on the severity of the situation, trauma doctors can resort to one of the following options for anesthesia:
- The use of general anesthesia. This happens in the most severe cases: fractures of the spine, hip bones and joints, as well as if the violation of bone integrity is combined with other serious injuries and there is a need for surgical intervention.
- Introduction to the patient's body non-narcotic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic( NSAID).Such drugs are widely prescribed as an anesthetic for fracture of the leg, arm or ribs.
- Use of anesthetics, which include drugs. It is practiced in difficult cases, for example, when a muscle tissue is broken by a bone, and also to remove a patient from a shock state.
The most affordable analgesics - NSAIDs - are available in various forms: tablets, ointments, ampoules for injections, gels. They can be purchased at most pharmacies.
In the first hours and days after fracture, the pain is usually very strong. To remove it as soon as possible, injections are used. Anesthetic, injected into the body with the help of a prick, begins to act after 5-10 minutes, in contrast to tablets, the effect of which comes much later.
One of the most potent new-generation drugs available in ampoules is Ketorol. The injections are usually done intramuscularly, less often intravenously. The duration of the drug is from 6 to 10 hours. Minus injections with Ketorol: they can not be stabbed for more than 3-4 consecutive days. But for the first, most painful days, this is quite enough. Then you can go to the reception of tablets.
The drawback of this method of getting rid of pain is also the fact that with ankle fractures, it is not always possible for each patient to do anesthetizing injections at home, and every time traveling to a clinic for a person with a broken arm or leg is simply impossible. Family members are also often unable to help their afflicted relative without the skills and experience to conduct such procedures.
Anesthetic pills for fractures
Let's consider more in detail the most popular and simple in application anaesthetics effective at breaks of bones. These are drugs from the group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that are available in the form of tablets. Their effect is based on the arrest of pain syndrome with simultaneous suppression of the inflammatory process in the musculoskeletal tissues.
List of the best best NSAIDs of the new generation:
- "Xefokam".A very effective remedy that can be taken for a long time( always under the supervision of a doctor).Additional form of release: solution for injection.
- "Movalis".Has a strong long analgesic + anti-inflammatory effect. To get rid of the pain, it is enough to take one pill a day. It is produced not only in the form of pills, but also in ampoules( for injections) and in rectal suppositories.
- "Celecoxib".Excellent pain relief and suitable for long-term use. At the same time, the negative effect on the digestive tract is minimal. Form release: capsules of gelatin, inside which is a medicinal powder.
- "Nimesulide".All the advantages inherent in the above mentioned means, and relate to this anesthetic. It is available only in the form of pills.
Rules for taking analgesic tablets
In order to maximize the benefits of such medications and minimize harm, the following rules must be observed:
- Do not take NSAIDs with alcohol.
- Painkilling pills should be drunk only after a meal and never on an empty stomach.
- Carefully read the instructions, examine the contraindications and correctly calculate the dose of the drug.
Application of ointment
Anesthetics with a fracture of the arm or leg in the form of ointments are very effective in the recovery period after the cast is removed. The fact is that even after successful splicing of the bone, the limb may swell and hurt for a long time. In pharmacies, the choice of such drugs is very large. Here is a short list of the most effective of them:
- Gel "Diclofenac" - one of the most popular external remedies for fractures. Famous triple effect: relieves pain, relieves swelling, treats inflammation.
- Ointment "Nurofen" - a quick-acting remedy, perfectly cures pain. Some people cause allergic reactions.
- Ointment "Ketonal" - a wonderful analgesic, suitable for long-term use, does not have a pathological effect on the structures of living tissues.
Can be used already in the first days after the injury as an anesthetic for fracture of the ribs. In this case, gypsum will not be a hindrance, because it is not imposed on the area of the chest.
What are the contraindications for the use of painkillers?
Unfortunately, the use of analgesics is not possible in some situations. Here is a list of such cases:
- Drug allergy or individual intolerance of any medications.
- Some blood diseases.
- Severe kidney and liver disease.
- Recently suffered heart attack.
- Lactation period.
These contraindications can be considered relative, since strict prohibition refers only to self-medication of patients with anesthetics. An experienced doctor, even in the most difficult situations, will be able to select a suitable analgesic that will help the suffering person without causing him any harm.
Possible side effects of pain medications
Sometimes, when trying to get rid of the pain, a person starts taking a handful of painkillers. With fractures, most often physical discomfort accompanies people for a long time. However, the recommended duration of courses for the majority of strong analgesics is low, since they have the ability to exert a number of negative actions on our body. Before taking uncontrolled NSAIDs, it is necessary to read the following list of side effects:
- They affect blood coagulability, increase the risk of blood clots. This especially affects if the patient has atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, varicose veins. Result: increased risk of thrombosis, stroke, heart attack.
- Promotes the formation of ulcers in the stomach and duodenum. The reason for this is the blocking of the enzyme COX-1, as a result of which the protective gastric mucosa becomes thinner, and the production of hydrochloric acid therein increases, which causes damage to the internal walls of the organ. The danger of the described process is that the peptic ulcer can be asymptomatic and manifest with a sudden severe bleeding or a sharp pain, indicating the perforation of the stomach. It can endanger human life.
- Causes constipation, diarrhea, bloating, nausea, vomiting. The causes of all these symptoms are described above.
- Negatively affect the kidneys, worsening the blood flow in this vital organ. Because of this, fluid is trapped in the body, edema develops, blood pressure jumps can occur.
No matter how great the pain of bone fracture, you do not need to risk and violate the rules for taking pain medicine prescribed in the instructions.
With fractures, painkillers with modern drugs can significantly reduce pain or even remove it completely, but the consequences of trauma can affect throughout the rest of your life. Try to be careful, take care!