X-ray of neck - features of carrying out, decoding and recommendations
The cervical region is the most mobile and vulnerable zone of the spine. He is most susceptible to damage and deformation, the natural consequence of which is a significant reduction in the degree of motor activity. In the diagnosis of diseases of the cervical department, an x-ray study is important. It is highly informative, accessible and easy to conduct.
The essence of the procedure
X-ray is an instrumental method used in the diagnosis of injuries and pathologies of internal organs. In the course of the study, special equipment affects the necessary part of the patient's body with special rays. They, in contrast to ordinary light, pass right through the body.
After the beams penetrate the desired zone, the detector of equipment having a high degree of sensitivity fixes them, as a result of which the doctor can visualize a black and white image.
The bright areas on the roentgenogram are bones and joints. This is because the dense structures of the body completely absorb the rays. Zones
During the procedure, the patient is exposed to radiation, but his degree is minimal and does not affect his health. In addition, health professionals conduct research in compliance with all safety rules.
X-ray of the neck: indications
This part of the spine is extremely necessary: through it pass the important vessels responsible for a full blood supply to the brain. Also in it are concentrated the nerve bundles connecting the upper organs and tissues with the central nervous system. But the muscular corset of the cervical region is developed rather poorly, which increases the risk of serious damage. That's why when you have any anxiety symptoms you need to see a doctor who will definitely prescribe an x-ray of the cervical department.
Indications for the study are the following:
- Pain in any head movement, up to the point that it is impossible to tilt it or turn it in any direction.
- Frequent occurrence of uncomfortable sensations in the hands: numbness, tingling, etc.
- Before eyes constantly ripples, vision deteriorated.
- Cervical vertebrae crunch.
- Violation of coordination of movements.
X-ray photo of the neck gives the doctor information about any pathological changes at the earliest stage of the disease. In some cases, the study is the only method by which it is possible to detect an ailment in a given part of the body.
X-ray of the neck is an informative method used to diagnose the following diseases and conditions:
- Various types of injuries( dislocations, fractures, etc.).
- Radiculitis is an inflammatory process that occurs in the nerve roots of the spinal cord.
- Scoliosis - deformities of the spine.
- Arthritis - joint damage.
- of lordosis, kyphosis - deflections of the spine( in the first case forward, in the second - back).
- Osteochondrosis of the cervical part - dystrophic state of cartilage of joints.
- Neoplasms of both benign and malignant nature.
- Birth injuries.
- Congenital and acquired pathologies in children.
X-ray of the neck is a method of investigation that allows to evaluate the condition of bones and joints. Soft tissues let the rays pass through themselves, so they are not visible in the picture. To identify their pathologies, other diagnostic methods are used.
X-ray of the neck, like any other instrumental method of investigation, has a number of limitations to its conduct.
The main contraindications are:
- Pregnancy. A single dose of radiation, which does not harm an adult person, negatively affects the fetal development of the fetus. If during pregnancy the study is a necessity, before trying to make an x-ray of the neck to a future mother, the child is tried to be as safe as possible.
- Obesity. If the patient suffers from excess weight, the degree of informative X-ray images is significantly reduced( they turn out to be fuzzy).
- Survey with barium suspension, since the end of which less than four hours have passed.
If there is any of these contraindications, the x-ray of the neck is not assigned.
How is it conducted?
The study is carried out in separate shielded cabinets. This is due to the need to protect neighboring rooms from radiation. The X-ray room is always pretty cool due to the continuous operation of air conditioners, which provide optimal conditions for the operation of the equipment.
Before the procedure, the patient does not need to follow any training rules.
The study is performed according to the following algorithm:
- The medical worker, before doing the x-ray of the neck, asks the patient to release the upper body from clothes and ornaments, as they can distort the image.
- The man is lying on the couch. In order to protect the internal organs and sex glands, the medical worker puts on the patient a special apron or vest. They are made of plates that do not pass through harmful rays. To get the most complete picture and accurate diagnosis, you need to take pictures in two projections. For this, the person first lies motionless on his back, then on his side. In some cases, the study is carried out through the oral cavity, which allows the doctor to obtain the most reliable information about the condition of the anterior part of the neck.
- Upon completion of the procedure, the patient dresses and can immediately begin his normal activities.
The duration of the session is about 15 minutes, while in fact the person is irradiated for 1-2 minutes.
In cases where the patient can not move, the study is conducted using portable equipment, which is equipped with an intensive care unit.
The procedure does not deliver any painful sensations. Some patients feel a slight discomfort associated with the need to be without clothes in a cool room.
Radiography with functional assays
This term means extended diagnosis of the cervical region. With its help, it is possible to detect even the slightest degree of deformation and displacement of the vertebrae, changes in the discs, etc.
The essence of carrying the x-ray of the neck with functional tests is as follows: after receiving standard images in two projections, the doctor asks to take the position lying on its side. After this, the patient needs to bend as much as possible, and then unbend the neck.
An extended type of study is prescribed for suspected cases of mobility-related diseases that exist between vertebrae and functional blocks.
This method is effective in diagnosing osteochondrosis, both acute and chronic. This is because the standard snapshot can not provide accurate information about the available offsets.
In addition, it is worth noting the following merit of radiography with functional tests: the physician is able to assess the condition of the cervical department not only by standard pictures. Due to this pathology is studied in the most detailed manner, and then the most suitable treatment regimen is prepared. In addition, during the bending process, the nature of the narrowing of the discs located in the anterior part can be analyzed, which is also important for establishing an accurate diagnosis and developing a therapy plan.
Features of the study in childhood
Children's age is not a contraindication to the implementation of radiography. It can be carried out at any stage of the child's growing up.
X-ray of the neck allows us to detect the following congenital and acquired pathologies in children in a timely manner:
- displacement of vertebrae;
- asymmetrical muscle tone;
- violations of the orthopedic nature;
- instability of the cervical department;
- birth and domestic trauma( fractures, dislocations).
The procedure entails certain difficulties for children under the age of about 3 years. A small child is extremely difficult to get a few minutes to stand still. In this regard, doctors are trying to select alternative methods of diagnosis. At the same time, x-rays can be made even to very young children.
The method of conducting the study is absolutely identical to that used for diagnosing cervical pathologies in adults. The child should also lie on a special couch( first on the back, then on his side) and strictly follow all the commands of the medical worker.
Many parents are concerned about radiography due to the fact that children receive a certain dose of radiation in the process of conducting it. To date, both private and public medical institutions are mostly equipped with advanced equipment with high-quality security systems, and therefore all possible risks are minimized. In addition, parents have the right to inquire about the reliability and level of protection of the apparatus installed in the chosen clinic.
If more than one procedure is needed to establish an accurate diagnosis, the child's medical record records information about when the radiograph was taken and what dose the child received. With the help of this information, the doctor determines when the next time a procedure can be performed without harming the health of the growing organism.
How to determine the state of the vessels of the neck?
Not always a standard study is sufficient to establish the correct diagnosis. The state of the vessels of the neck X-ray does not show. In such cases, doctors prescribe MRI.The advantage of this method of diagnosis is that in the process you can visualize not only bones and joints, but also soft tissues, veins, arteries. The study is not associated with any uncomfortable sensations, in addition, the process is safe.
Where to do it?
Today almost every medical institution( both public and private) is equipped with the necessary equipment. Information about where to do the x-ray of the neck is provided by the doctor who ordered the study. As a rule, it is carried out in the same hospital.
The patient has the right to receive information from health care providers about how much the equipment is safe. Obsolete X-ray tubes generate more powerful radiation than modern ones.
The cost of
If you have a medical policy, you can go to the polyclinic where the patient is observed. It is free of charge and is done by appointment.
If desired, the x-ray of the neck can be done in a private clinic. In this case, the cost of the study varies between 500-2000 rubles.
The cervical spine is the most vulnerable part of it. When there are painful sensations and other anxious symptoms, it is necessary to contact the attending physician, who will give the direction for radiography. With the help of this study, it is possible to identify various pathologies of the cervical spine at the earliest stage. The procedure does not require any preparation, it is painless and takes no more than 15 minutes.