"Pyrazinamide": side effects and contraindications
"Pyrazinamide" is a drug for the treatment of tuberculosis. This tool has proved itself and proved to be effective. It helps to successfully cure this infectious pathology in the early stages of development. However, the list of side effects of "Pyrazinamide" is quite extensive. This drug for chemotherapy of tuberculosis, which allows you to quickly deal with the causative agent of the disease. The intake of such an active and potent drug can provoke unwanted effects.
What is the drug
"Pyrazinamide" affects the mycobacteria that cause tuberculosis. Its active ingredient penetrates into the lesion and fights infection. The medicine enters the body of bacteria and either stops their reproduction or completely destroys them. This agent is usually used together with other bactericidal and bacteriostatic medicines, since the causative agent eventually develops resistance to "Pyrazinamide."
The drug is effective in the tuberculosis lesions of various organs: lungs, bones, urogenital system. It hel
However, when prescribing this medication, contraindications and side effects of "Pyrazinamide" should be taken into account.
The drug is prohibited for use in the treatment of children under 3 years of age. Therapy of older children is possible only with a child weighing over 30 kg.
During pregnancy, this medication is prescribed only in those cases where the benefit for the expectant mother is greater than the possible risk to the fetus. The agent belongs to category C for possible harmful effects on the embryo. This means that animal experiments have shown a negative effect of the drug on the fetus, but for humans, studies have not been conducted. If "Pyrazinamide" should be taken during lactation, then breastfeeding should be interrupted.
And also the drug is contraindicated for allergies to its active ingredient, severe kidney and liver pathologies, epileptic seizures, gout and psychotic disorders.
Adverse effects of
Negative effects often occur when taking medication. Not all patients tolerate this remedy well. Possible side effects of "Pyrazinamide" in adults and children:
- The drug has a hepatotoxic effect, possibly the appearance of icterus of the skin, pain in the right upper quadrant, dyspeptic manifestations, bitterness in the mouth. Such a violation is called drug hepatitis. Therefore, during therapy, one must constantly check the function of the liver.
- There may be signs of deterioration in overall well-being: nausea, weakness, dizziness, fever.
- The drug affects the process of formation of uric acid, which leads to gouty attacks.
- "Pyrazinamide" affects hematological parameters. In the analysis of blood, a decrease in platelets, an increase in eosinophils and porphyrins is possible. In the biochemical study, there are deviations in the level of functional liver samples.
- In diabetics, the drug may cause hypoglycemia.
- The medicine can provoke the appearance of joint pain. They can be quite intense. In addition, a rash appears on the skin in the joint area.
- The drug has a negative effect on the peripheral vessels. There is pain in the lower limbs and swelling of the veins.
- Because of the fluid retention in the body, the legs and hands swell.
- You may experience soreness when you urinate.
- Some patients complain of slight muscle pain.
- Allergic people have rashes on the skin, itching and dermatitis.
- In rare cases, such a serious complication, such as pellagra - vitamin deficiency of nicotinic acid with severe lesions of the skin and nervous system.
All this suggests that "Pyrazinamide" is a complex preparation that should be used with great care.
The effect of the drug on the children's body
Side effects of "Pyrazinamide" for children are the same as for adults, but unpleasant symptoms are more pronounced. For this reason, the drug can not be given to babies of the first three years of life, and also to children with low weight. Most often, the child shows signs of deterioration in overall well-being: nausea, vomiting, dizziness. Often observed the effects of hepatotoxic action: pain in the liver, dyspepsia.
To avoid the occurrence of side effects of "Pyrazinamide" in children, it is necessary to carefully follow the prescribed dosage and never exceed it. The correct amount of tablets is calculated individually, based on the weight of the patient. If the child has unpleasant symptoms after taking the pills, you should immediately inform the doctor about it.
Methods for correcting undesirable effects of
For violations of the liver function or gout attacks, the drug is canceled. After that, prescribe medications for symptomatic treatment of side effects of "Pyrazinamide".A course of therapy with vitamin B group preparations, nicotinic acid and hepatoprotectors. With joint pain, prescribe "Prednisolone", "Diclofenac", "Indomethacin".
When the recommended dose is exceeded, side effects of "Pyrazinamide" are sharply increased. The liver and central nervous system function is impaired. Nausea, vomiting, manifestations of polyneuritis, hallucinations are observed. It is necessary to wash the stomach, give the patient an enterosorbent and call a doctor. In the future, detoxification treatment, hemodialysis and hepatoprotector therapy are carried out in the hospital.
To avoid side effects of "Pyrazinamide", it is necessary to take into account its compatibility with other medicines. Some medicines increase the toxic effect of the drug on the liver. These include:
- antituberculous drug "Ethionamide";
- remedy for gout "Probenecid", "Allopurinol";
- antibiotics: Rifampicin, Ofloxacin, Levofloxacin.
In elderly people, taking Pyrazinamide more often causes side effects. Therefore, patients older than 60 years during therapy make tests for liver enzymes and uric acid levels. In case of serious abnormalities in the results of studies, the drug is canceled.
During treatment with this remedy, it is strictly forbidden to drink alcohol, as this dramatically increases the toxic effect on the liver.
Reviews about drug tolerance
On the web, you can find messages and reviews about side effects of "Pyrazinamide."Noting the benefits and effectiveness of this drug for the treatment of tuberculosis, patients report dizziness, drowsiness, reddening of the facial skin and a feeling of heat after taking the medication. Some patients complain of difficulty concentrating. Such phenomena are usually temporary and go through several days of therapy.
Often there are complaints of pain in the joints. Many patients experienced negative symptoms from the digestive tract: nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite. There is also an unpleasant bitter taste of tablets. In the reviews, you can find recommendations on the use of hepatoprotectors to prevent liver disorders. However, one should not use such means on their own. This can create an even greater burden on the hepatobiliary system. To take funds for the protection of the liver is necessary according to indications, and not to prevent side effects of tablets "Pyrazinamide".
Parents of children with tuberculosis report that the child had vomiting after the medication, as well as dizziness and weakness. Some children's phthisiatricians prescribe the drug with a positive tuberculin Mantoux test. However, this approach can not be considered correct. Indication for the use of "Pyrazinamide" can only be clinical manifestations of tuberculosis. A positive Mantoux reaction does not always indicate a disease and is not a sufficient reason for prescribing chemotherapy.