Temperature after Mantoux. Tuberculin test: contraindications
Mantoux is a tuberculin test, according to which it is possible to determine the reaction of the organism to pathogens of tuberculosis. They put it to that group of people, including children, who are prone to this disease, and also for preventive purposes. Sometimes it happens that the temperature rises after the Mantoux vaccination. This symptom should be alerted, because this is how the body reacts to the attack of the pathogen or other interventions. Therefore, if the temperature rises after Mantoux, it is necessary to look for the reasons for this.
What is a Mantoux test?
Many parents make mistakes when they think that such vaccination is carried out to improve the immunity of a child to tuberculosis. This is not entirely true. The Mantoux test is performed in the following cases:
- for evaluating the reaction of the child's organism to the injected agent of tuberculosis and its ability to withstand infection;
- to find out the probability of infection with Koch's bacilli, i.e., confirm the presence of the infection in the child;
- for testing the effectiveness of treatment for tuberculosis.
With this vaccination, the child's skin is injected with tuberculin, which is an extract of Koch's bacilli. At the injection site, there is a small condensation that appears due to the reaction of lymphocytes that determine cellular immunity. Particles of microbacteria are able to attract lymphocytes containing Koch's bacillus.
The more the organism will contain such "infected" cells, the more active the course of the inflammatory process, and the Mantoux reaction will give a positive result. The doctor measures in diameter such a site with compaction, assessing the possibility of immunity of the child to resist tuberculosis infection.
Response of the body to Mantoux
In a healthy person, after vaccination, a negative reaction of the organism to the introduced pathogen should be noted without increasing the body temperature. This injection is not considered vaccine at all, but is a kind of diagnostic procedure that allows you to determine how the body reacts to the injected component. Usually, a small redness of the skin appears at the puncture site, a swelling occurs. The child at the same time feels perfectly normal. If he begins to complain about the deterioration of well-being after vaccination, then, most likely, the body reacted abnormally to the introduction of tuberculin.
Many factors can distort results. In order for the reaction to the Mantoux test to be reliable, it is necessary to observe certain conditions:
- the child must be healthy;
- should be evaluated no earlier than 72 hours after the injection;
- the place of introduction of the sample can not be wetted with water for 72 hours.
Why can body temperature rise?
The child may have a negative reaction to the injected drug, if there is no redness or it is rather insignificant. This means that the baby is not infected with tuberculosis. But what if the temperature rose after Mantoux? This happens under the influence of various factors.
Individual tuberculin intolerance may occur, in which the body begins to reject it in every possible way, including the immune system in this process. Papula( the place of administration of the drug) begins to increase to critical sizes and its suppuration occurs.
If a child is prone to an allergy, then its appearance will also be the response of the immune system to the injected drug. Tuberculin is perceived as an allergen and causes a violent reaction of the body. Among many symptoms, the temperature rises after Mantoux.
Beginning infectious diseases for the first time can not manifest itself in any way, and the conducted test reduces immunity, which provokes the multiplication of bacteria and viruses already in the body. As a result, the body temperature rises.
It can also increase due to an infection that is entered through a puncture. This happens if the child touched or scratched the injection site with dirty hands.
In any case, the temperature after Mantoux should be insignificant and must pass independently after 3 hours.
When should I sound an alarm?
One should be seriously worried in the following cases:
- if the body temperature has risen above 38 degrees;
- papula increased very much, blushed, festered and began to ache;
- body temperature increase is accompanied by headache and muscle pain, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, convulsions, fainting, weakness, clouding of consciousness, etc.;
- there was a strong allergic reaction, which is accompanied by swelling and itching in the puncture area, as well as difficulty breathing.
Should I make Mantoux with a cold?
The combination of this sample and snot can lead to very serious consequences, since discharge from the nose is a sign of serious illness.
Mantou made with a runny nose can worsen a child's health, since there is a bacterial or viral infection in the body, and all protective forces are aimed at eliminating these pathogens. The introduced test is able to weaken already already lowered immunity, as a result of which the process of treating a child is greatly complicated, causing dangerous health conditions. The introduction of tuberculin is postponed until complete recovery.
In addition to the common cold, tuberculin test is contraindicated in the following cases:
- skin diseases;
- if the day before was given another vaccination;
- neurological problems;
To avoid unwanted reactions after Mantoux test, it is necessary to follow preventive measures:
- if there is a suspicion that any infectious disease begins to develop, the injection must be postponed until complete recovery;
- if the child has tuberculin intolerance, it is better to refuse Mantoux and choose another way of diagnosing tuberculosis;
- the baby should not comb or touch the injection site;
- if the child has suffered the disease, you need to wait a week to strengthen the immune system;
- Mantoux test is not recommended during teething;
- the child should have normal body temperature before injection.
Can there be a temperature after Mantoux? Of course, various factors contribute to its appearance. If it is insignificant, then you should not worry. But if the temperature after Mantoux rises above 38 degrees, it is necessary to sound an alarm, as this may indicate the presence of an agent of tuberculosis in the body. In this case, the child is to be treated for a long time.