Which is better: lumineers or veneers? What is the difference between veneers from lumineers?
What is the secret of the snow-white smile of Hollywood stars? It turns out that such perfectly smooth beautiful teeth can have everyone! Thanks to modern dental techniques, for example, microprosthetics with special plates, you can achieve an incredible aesthetic result. What is the procedure for correction of the dentition, what is the difference between veneers from lumineers, how they are established, and other questions on this topic will be revealed in our article.
What are veneers and lumineers?
Veneers and lumineers are dental microprostheses, which are thin ceramic plates that are used to correct the appearance of teeth. They are not intended to treat any kind of oral disease. They are used only in aesthetic dentistry.
In the last decade, such materials have gained wide popularity due to a number of advantages compared to, for example, art restoration of teeth. Apply plates to improve the appearance of the dentition. But what is the difference between such similar materials? What is better - lumineers or veneers? On what form to choose? Read more about this in the relevant sections of the article.
Indications for use
In which cases do dentists recommend their patients the use of materials such as veneer or lumineer? Microprosthesis of this kind is justified in the following cases:
- restoration of teeth in the presence of chips, crowding, spots on the enamel, underdevelopment of teeth;
- procedure helps to restore the aesthetic appearance of teeth with fluorosis;
- in the presence of interdental spaces, high percent erasability of enamel;
- installation of veneers or lumineers can replace the bleaching procedure.
What does such material look like? It will be difficult for an expert to distinguish between veneers and luminaries. Photos of these materials are presented in our article.
It is possible to single out the undeniable advantages of installing such plates in comparison with other methods of aesthetic dentistry, namely:
- Microprosthesis with lumineers is painless. When fixing veneers patients have a low level of pain at the tooth grinding stage.
- The color of the plates is matched to the natural shade of the natural tooth.
- With proper care, this dental design is longevous.
But the drawbacks of such a microprosthetic dentistry are also noted, namely:
- Lumpiness of plates - under mechanical influence they can become unstuck, it happens that damage is formed in the form of fractures and cracks.
- The installation requires the high professionalism not only of the dentist, but also of other specialists who will produce the cast and the corresponding plate.
- Improper installation of veneers or lumineers can lead to the formation of a gap between the tooth and the plate and, as a result, destruction of enamel, plaque deposition and caries development. In another case, the microprosthesis may crash into the gum, causing local bleeding. Also, with non-professional fixation of materials, the massiveness of the jaw is noted as a result of the insertion of plates on a poor-quality and insufficiently processed tooth surface.
- The installation of such plates is an irreversible process, since before the procedure the tooth is sufficiently stitched or processed by a special composition, thus changing its shape.
- The price of these materials is high. So, one veneer will cost about 15-20 thousand rubles, and the lumineer is even more expensive - 35 thousand rubles;
- If a chip does not break or flakes, repair or correction is not possible - replacement is required.
There are also contraindications for the installation of veneers or lumineers. It is not recommended to perform microprosthesis with these materials in the presence of the following diseases or conditions:
- thin tooth enamel;
- significant tooth damage;
- gum disease;
- incorrect bite.
The main differences between
So, we found out about what kinds of records have common characteristics. But what are their differences and what is better - lumineers or veneers? Lumineer is a kind of improved version of its analog. To make it, modern technologies and raw materials are used.
We will perform a comparative analysis of the plates:
- The thickness of the veneer is from 0.5 to 0.7 mm. Lumineers are much thinner - 0.3 mm. Thus, the latter look much more natural and aesthetic after installation.
- Lumineers are much more expensive.
- The service life of more expensive plates is on the average 15-20 years, while veneers, even with proper care, are recommended not to be used for more than 10 years.
- For installation of lumineers, only 2 visits to the doctor will be required: to remove the impression from the tooth, and then for direct microprosthetics. Fixation of veneers involves additional consultations of the dentist.
- With the professional installation of lumineers, there is no gap between the plate and the tooth. While fixing an analog is often accompanied by a similar complexity.
Thus, each of these materials has its advantages and disadvantages, so it is difficult to determine what is better - lumineers or veneers.
As mentioned above, the plates will last from 5-10 to 20 years. What factors negatively affect the life of such materials? Undoubtedly, regular oral hygiene is a prerequisite for maintaining the integrity and aesthetic appearance of both veneers and lumineers. In addition, experts recommend the following rules for the care of such dental material:
- You should not abuse "coloring" products( coffee, strong tea, juice, beets, etc.).Despite the fact that the plates themselves are not susceptible to such factors, the gaps between the microprosthesis and the tooth tissues can become colored. And also, in case of installation of veneers, cement can be painted, on which the plate is fastened.
- It is not recommended to use solid products without first grinding them( nuts, fresh carrots, apples, etc.), as both veneers and luminescent materials are brittle, brittle.
- Also it is not necessary to use abrasive compounds for cleaning teeth.
In order for the plates to last as long as possible, it is important to take a responsible approach to choosing the clinic where the procedure will be performed. The best option is private dentistry. Veneers and lumineers are installed in public medical institutions, but, as a rule, such clinics do not have the necessary equipment and materials. Therefore, most often the plates are made by the same private laboratories, so it is unlikely to save.
Technique for installing veneers
So, what is better - lumineers or veneers? To answer the question posed, one must understand the intricacies of installing such materials.
Veneers are fixed according to the following algorithm:
- The top layer equal to the thickness of the plate is removed from the tooth, so that the material looks as natural as possible.
- A suitable mold is selected from the assortment presented by the manufacturer.
- In the next visit to the dentist, the veneer is cemented.
How to install lumineers?
But in this way lumineers are installed:
- The mold of the tooth is removed. Then, on its basis, a corresponding plate is made in the laboratory. It should be noted that lumineers are manufactured exclusively in the USA.
- The tooth is treated with a special compound, and also grinded.
- The prepared surface is covered with dental adhesive, with which the plate is fixed.
Here, actually, and all about what different veneers from lumineers.
Reviews of professionals and patients
Experts unequivocally claim that such materials are an innovative breakthrough in aesthetic dentistry. With the help of the settings of such plates, you can literally get a "Hollywood smile" in just a few visits to the doctor. Thus, increasingly dentists offer to install veneers and lumineers.
Patient reviews also point out the effectiveness and painlessness of the procedure. If we analyze the opinions of people who underwent microprosthetics, we can draw the following conclusion. On the question of what is best: veneers or lumineers( reviews contain such information), many answered that the latter win in many respects. But the main positive moments boil down to the fact that lumineers are more durable and look the most aesthetic.
The drawbacks are, first of all, the cost of installing such plates - not many can afford such a procedure.
So, what is better - veneers or lumineers? There is no unambiguous answer to this question. Only a specialist, evaluating various medical factors, can give individual recommendations to the patient.