Analysis for glucose in pregnancy: description of the procedure, transcript and reviews
Analysis of glucose during pregnancy is currently prescribed for many women. It is done for a period of 24-28 weeks. It is especially necessary to conduct this study in pregnant women with risk factors. To reveal diabetes mellitus during gestation is very important, since this disease can affect the health and development of the unborn child.
When is the analysis done?
At the first stage, all patients are assigned a routine clinical blood glucose test for pregnancy up to 24 weeks. This test is carried out with no load, the blood is usually taken from the capillary vessels of the finger. The analysis is taken in the morning. It is carried out on an empty stomach, the last time you can eat 8 hours before the diagnosis. Most often, this study of obstetrician-gynecologist appoints immediately, as soon as pregnancy is determined. Further examination for carbohydrate metabolism will depend on the results:
- If the blood glucose test for pregnancy is normal( 3.3-5.5 mmol / l), then usually no other tests are prescribed. The study is done again in the second trimester.
- If the glucose is slightly elevated( 5.5-7 mmol / L), the doctor assumes that the patient has gestational diabetes. This is a form of the disease that occurs only in pregnant women. To clarify the diagnosis appoint a test for glucose tolerance( with the load).
- If the results of the analysis exceed 7 mmol / l, then it is highly likely that a woman suffers from diabetes mellitus. However, for an accurate diagnosis, a comprehensive examination is needed.
In some cases, the glucose test with pregnancy stress is mandatory. Such a study is conducted for women at risk, which include the following categories of patients:
- with overweight;
- with multiple pregnancies;
- women whose relatives are diabetic;
- patients with hypertension;
- deviation from the norm in the analysis for glucose in the anamnesis;
- birth of children with high weight or anomalies of development in the past;
- women with elevated blood cholesterol;
- patients who have sugar in their urine.
At present, such a test is prescribed even to healthy women at the 28th week of gestation in order to prevent disease. Analysis of glucose in pregnancy does not allow to determine with a high accuracy the presence of diabetes mellitus. This method of laboratory diagnosis only indicates a violation of the metabolism of carbohydrates. To identify the disease, a comprehensive examination of the patient will be required.
Contraindications to the appointment of the
test Not all women can do an analysis for glucose during pregnancy. There are the following contraindications for conducting such diagnostics:
- the sugar level in the blood test is higher than 7 mmol / l;
- infectious and acute inflammatory diseases, pancreatic and gastrointestinal diseases;
- age of the girl under 14 years;
- fetal gestation period of 28 weeks;
- therapy with drugs that increase glucose;
- is a strong toxicosis of pregnancy.
How to prepare for the study?
Before taking the glucose test for pregnancy, you need to prepare for the study. This will help to get reliable results.
It's not necessary to change your usual diet and limit yourself to eating. On the contrary, the food should be high in calories.8-10 hours before the test, you need to stop eating, before testing you can only drink clean water. The last portion of food should be rich in carbohydrates.
15 hours before the test, alcohol and smoking are excluded. Change your habitual mode of physical activity should not be. This does not mean that you need to specifically engage in gymnastics, but you can not always lie on the couch before research. It is necessary to lead an ordinary natural way of life with the usual physical activity.
How is the analysis done?
How to take a glucose test for pregnancy? It is necessary to come to the laboratory on an empty stomach, with a referral from the doctor and the results of the study for sugar. Sometimes, before the test for glucose tolerance, the blood test from finger to sugar is repeated, and at results above 7.1 mmol / l from the further examination they refuse. However, this is not mandatory.
Algorithm for blood glucose analysis in pregnancy is as follows:
- First take blood from the vein and measure the glucose level.
- The patient is then allowed to drink a monosaccharide solution( this is called a load).
- Conduct repeated fences of blood from the vein after 1 hour, and then 2 hours after the load with the measurement of the results.
How to dilute glucose for pregnancy analysis? Sometimes the doctor suggests the patient to prepare the solution on her own, in some cases the sweet syrup is made by the laboratory assistant. Make a drink for the load in the analysis can be as follows:
- Prepare clean non-carbonated water in advance.
- 75 g of dry glucose in 300 ml of water and wait for complete dissolution.
- Drink your drink in 5 minutes.
- The drink is very sweet, in pregnant women with toxicosis such cloying taste can cause nausea. Therefore, during drinking, you can lick a piece of lemon, or add a little sour lemon juice to the solution.
Interpretation of the results of
The following parameters( when 75 g monosaccharide is taken) are the norm of glucose testing in pregnancy:
- 1st measurement( before the load) - up to 5.1 mmol / l;
- 2nd measurement( 1 hour after the load) - up to 10 mmol / l;
- 3rd measurement( after 2 hours) - up to 8.5 mmol / l.
If these values are exceeded, it can be assumed that the gestational diabetes in a pregnant woman. The patient needs consultation of an endocrinologist and nutritionist.
What should I do if there is a deviation from the norm in the analysis?
The results of the analysis should be shown to the obstetrician-gynecologist who has a woman. You may need additional tests, for example, a blood test for glycated hemoglobin. To clarify the results, the doctor can also assign a urinalysis for sugar or a three-hour blood test for glucose with a load.
Gestational diabetes is not a dangerous diagnosis. Usually the level of glucose decreases after 8 weeks after delivery. However, this condition can not be considered normal, an increase in glucose levels may adversely affect the development of the fetus. Therefore, such a woman needs to follow a diet, eat as little sweet food as possible.
Low glucose levels can also affect the future baby. Carbohydrates are necessary for the correct formation of the brain of a newborn.
Why do false results occur?
Sometimes a blood test for glucose tolerance can give unreliable results. This can happen if the pregnant woman has experienced stress on the eve of the diagnosis. Therefore, before the study it is important to keep calm and avoid mental stress.
Distort results of the analysis may lack potassium and magnesium in the body, as well as hormonal disorders. The test gives the wrong result if the woman was subjected to physical stress or took food during the sample. Before the analysis, it is undesirable to take medicines. If you can not interrupt the medication, then you need to warn the obstetrician-gynecologist about it.
It is important to carefully follow all the doctor's recommendations during the research. Distorted results can lead to the appointment of unnecessary treatment, which will adversely affect the development of the fetus.
Reviews on the analysis of
Reviews on the analysis of glucose in pregnancy indicate that most women understand the importance of this test. For many patients, this examination helped to fully verify their health. Other women, thanks to the analysis, were able to identify gestational diabetes in time and adjust their diet.
However, many patients are afraid to take this test. The doctor needs to explain to the pregnant woman that the glucose tolerance test is absolutely harmless for the unborn child. Once taken monosaccharide solution does not affect the development of the fetus. The only drawback of the test is the lusciously sweet taste of the drink, which many pregnant women seem unpleasant. In the reviews about the analysis, some women write about the nausea that arose when using a monosaccharide solution on an empty stomach. However, this sensation quickly passed. In addition, you can use a piece of lemon, which will significantly reduce nausea and vomiting.