Heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester: causes, effects on the child, how to treat? What can you do with heartburn during pregnancy?
Heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester disturbs many women. What is the reason for such an unpleasant phenomenon and how to get rid of it? This we will describe in this article.
What is a condition like heartburn during pregnancy? The second trimester - it is during this period that the above-mentioned phenomenon worries future mothers the most. Heartburn refers to a feeling of discomfort and burning sensation in the sternum. As a rule, it extends from the epigastric region( that is, epigastric) to the very top. In rare cases, this condition is accompanied by pain in the neck.
It is generally believed that heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester, as well as in other periods, occurs as a result of the effect of gastric acid juice on the mucous membrane. It enters the main digestive organ during gastroesophageal reflux( ie, passive fluid leakage) or regurgitation( that is, active fluid leakage).Thus, there is a strong irritation of the mucosa, which, in fact, is accompanied by an unpleasant sensation of burning in the chest.
Why does heartburn occur during pregnancy in the second trimester? The causes of this phenomenon should be identified only by an experienced doctor. Factors for the development of this state may be a variety of abnormalities in the body.
As is known, the human esophagus is protected from the action of gastric acid by means of a special sphincter valve. It is thanks to him that people with a healthy stomach and digestive system as a whole very rarely suffer from heartburn. However, with the onset of pregnancy, the female body is subjected to numerous changes every day. For example, during this period the tonus of muscle tissues of a person, including esophageal tissues, changes quite strongly. Under the influence of a hormone such as progesterone, the muscles of the expectant mother are significantly weakened. As a result, the valve, which is a clamp in the usual state, begins to stretch, which entails the passage of stomach acid into the esophagus. This is the main reason why heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester so often worries future mothers.
It should also be noted that to perform its full function as an esophageal sphincter is impeded by uterine enlargement and strong intra-abdominal pressure. Therefore, heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester should not worry future mothers. Doctors say that because of this, one should not panic, since such a phenomenon is a variant of the norm.
It should also be noted that heartburn in women often arises from the lack of the necessary amount of time in the esophagus, which is required for complete digestion of food. Usually this happens because due to the increased level of hormones in the body of a pregnant woman, the muscle contractions that are responsible for the progress of food are greatly slowed down. Thus, the process of digestion, as well as the splitting of food, can take much more time than before conception of the baby. This leads to the fact that women constantly have heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester. In addition, this state of affairs often provokes the development of a stomach disorder.
Summing up all of the above, it can be noted that the cause of heartburn in future parturient women are:
- relief of the esophageal sphincter;
- reduced amount of time for the process of digestion of food;
- significant increase in uterus.
Features of Heartburn
What can I do with heartburn during pregnancy in the first, second or third trimester? We will talk about this a little later.
As you know, this condition in future parturient women is most likely due to overeating( in 80% of cases).Since 12 weeks the fetus is actively growing, which contributes to the increase in the uterus. It is she who gradually presses the stomach to the abdominal cavity machines, which immediately affects the rate of digestion and digestion of food.
Very many women have no idea how to eat properly during the gestation period. Most of them continue to eat in the same amounts as before the onset of conception, and sometimes much more. Thus, their stomach is overloaded, as a result of which it does not have time to digest products in a timely manner, which leads to heartburn and digestive disorders.
How to get rid?
What can be taken from heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester? In some cases, the use of any medication is inappropriate( for example, overeating).To prevent such a state from worrying future mothers, you should reduce the amount of food consumed at one time.
It should also be noted that from 5-6 weeks a woman is obliged to change her diet. The volume of breakfasts, lunches and dinners should be reduced, and the frequency of meals - increased. So a day should sit at the table about 5-6 times.
Heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester: how to treat?
A few women know how to get rid of such an unpleasant sensation. Although almost every one of them knows that taking a weak solution of table soda can extinguish a "fire" in the esophagus. However, according to most experts, the use of such a tool can adversely affect the health of the future mother. This is due to the fact that during the connection of soda with gastric contents, so-called carbonic acid is formed, which only increases the secretion of juice. As a result, heartburn returns. In addition, the absorption of carbon dioxide into the systemic blood flow can easily contribute to the violation of the acid-base balance.
So what measures should be taken if the patient is very worried about heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester? What to drink in this case? With constant burning in the stomach, doctors recommend using special medications that are not absorbed into the systemic bloodstream, do not change the acid-base balance, and at the same time act enveloping.
Most often in this condition, experts appoint women antatsidy. These are drugs that neutralize the acid juice of the stomach. They are not absorbed into the blood and therefore can not affect negatively the developing fetus.
Sometimes doctors prescribe the means of another pharmacological group to future women in labor. However, they should be used with extreme caution and strictly according to the instructions.
Authorized products for burning sensation in the esophagus
For heartburn during pregnancy at home, you can take the following medicines:
- "Maalox."It is an antacid agent that has adsorbent and enveloping properties. It absorbs excessive amounts of gases and acids, as a result, pain in the upper parts of the digestive system is eliminated for several hours. Take this medicine inside for an hour and a half before the meal or if a burning sensation occurs.
- "Almagel" is also an antacid drug. It acts for a long time, regulating the acidity of the hydrochloric acid. In view of the fact that during the action of this medicine no bubbles of carbon dioxide appear, the secondary excretion of hydrochloric acid does not occur. Take this medicine inside 40 minutes before eating.
- "Renny".This is a gastroprotective and antacid medicine. Its active elements are magnesium and calcium carbonate. After the pellets enter the stomach, these substances begin to interact with hydrochloric acid, which eventually leads to its neutralization and the formation of water, as well as water-soluble salts of magnesium and calcium. As a result, the amount of mucus in the stomach increases. It is she who protects cells of the main digestive organ from the harmful effect of hydrochloric acid.
- "Lansoprazole".This drug is classified as a proton pump inhibitor. It is safe and is usually prescribed for very severe heartburn in pregnant women, which is accompanied by vomiting and nausea. In addition, this remedy can be prescribed if the use of antacid medicines has not produced any result.
- Ranitidine is an H2-histamine receptor antagonist. This is probably the only drug in this group, designed to treat heartburn in pregnant women. He is appointed in cases where antacids have been powerless.
- "Gaviscon" is a gastroprotective and antacid agent. This is a fairly easy to sow tablets. They must be taken after meals and in the evening, before going to sleep 1-2 pieces. After getting into the stomach, the active ingredients of this drug immediately react with the stomach acid. As a result, a specific gel is formed. It has a softening effect on the walls of the esophagus when acid gets there, and also removes the burning sensation.
It is extremely important to remember that from heartburn during pregnancy at home, only approved medications should be taken. In this case, it is necessary to consult with the doctor in charge.
Heartburn during pregnancy: folk remedies
With a constant burning sensation in the sternum, very many women use folk remedies. This is due to the fact that most of them do not trust traditional medicines.
So, to get rid of heartburn during the period of gestation, we recommend using one of the following tips:
- About 20 g of a herb of a thousandth mill pour 600 ml of water, and then boil and let it brew for 3-4 hours. The resulting solution strain and take inside one large spoon three times a day. This remedy works well if the burning sensation has arisen in the throat.
- Approximately 20-30 ordinary heather, pour 500 ml of water and boil for 5 minutes, then let it brew for several hours. After a while, take a ready-made solution on a large spoon before eating.
- About 2 or 3 cups of ginger or chamomile tea after meals will serve as an excellent prophylaxis of heartburn.
- If burning sensation should be chewed oats or barley( several grains) for 5-7 minutes, while swallowing saliva.
- Mix an equal amount of herb yarrows, marsh swine and St. John's wort, and then pour boiling water and let it brew for three hours. The received solution drink on half of a glass at a heartburn and pains in a stomach. By the way, yarrow is especially effective if the burning sensation is constantly observed.
- A fresh folk remedy for heartburn is the freshly squeezed juice of raw potatoes. Usually it is taken in the first trimester of pregnancy. For this, the tubers are cleaned, rubbed on a small grater, and then squeezed out with a multi-layered gauze.
- In a mortar rub the sweet almonds and walnuts in equal proportions. After this, take the mixture for a week for one dessert spoon.
- Good from heartburn helps chopped eggshell eggshell. For this, the product is boiled and then cleaned. Shredded shell, it is taken three times a day for half a dessert spoon for five days. According to the opinion of future parturient women, such a remedy is especially effective in the last month of pregnancy.
- In case of heartburn, it is allowed to drink weak alkaline water. It should also be noted that such a drink has a good effect on the digestive system.
- If you get heartburn early in the morning on an empty stomach, you need to eat a little horse sorrel.
- Carbon powder, taken with water, also eliminates the burning sensation in the chest. This method is especially relevant in the second trimester of pregnancy.
If none of the above methods help you, then you can improve your condition with sprouted green buckwheat( a few small spoons a day).
Does hydrochloric acid affect the fetus?
Now you know what constitutes heartburn during pregnancy in the second trimester. Influence on the child is not a condition. This is the opinion most doctors adhere to. They argue that the burning sensation when bearing a fetus is quite normal. About 89% of all future parturient women suffer from it. Therefore, worry about the negative impact on the baby is not worth it. Heartburn brings discomfort only to the woman herself. Therefore, to resolve it, you should always contact your doctor.
If folk remedies do not help, then resort to the use of traditional drugs. Although they should not be abused. As you know, all medicines contain chemical compounds that can adversely affect not only the health of the future mother, but also the development of her baby.