Cherry leaves: useful properties and contraindications, application in folk medicine, recipes
Cherry is a tree that is known and loved by many. It is unpretentious and grows in all cities, in every dacha section. But not everyone knows that, except berries, you can eat cherry leaves. Useful properties and contraindications to them have long been known to folk healers. But with the development of the pharmaceutical industry, grasses were rarely used. And only in recent years, people began to remember what a delicious tea from these leaves. Although many gardeners are constantly using canned cherry leaves, useful properties and contraindications to them have not yet been fully explored.
What is remarkable about the cherry
The tree is from the Black Sea region. But from antiquity it was revered and loved in all countries where it grew. The berries were considered not only tasty, but also useful. They have long been used for cooking jam, compotes and vitamin decoctions. Cherry orchards look very beautiful both during flowering and when strewn with red berries. In ancient times this tree was attributed to magical properties. It was believed that if the branches with the leaves decorate the bed of the newlyweds, then their marriage will be happy.
Composition of cherry leaves
Everyone knows how much vitamin C contains the berries of this tree. But rich in composition and have cherry leaves. Useful properties and contraindications to them are due precisely to what substances they contain. Recent research has shown that these leaflets are rich in vitamins and trace elements, very important for health. They include:
- pectins, fiber;
- minerals: calcium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, iodine, boron;
- B vitamins;
- tanning agents;
- antioxidants, for example, quercetin;
- a large amount of ascorbic acid;
- lot of folic acid;
- essential oils;
- Coumarin - a substance that reduces the likelihood of blood clots;
- ellagic acid, which prevents the development of tumors;
- anthocyanins, slowing the aging of cells.
It's important to know when to collect cherry leaves so that there are more nutrients in them. The most valuable are considered young, newly blossoming shoots.
Useful properties of cherry leaves
Our ancestors knew much about this tree and often used it for treatment. For example, it was believed that porridge from cherry bark, onions and cannabis seeds helps to heal even from a serious illness. All parts of the plant were used to prepare decoctions, compotes and syrups. Modern medicine has proved that not only berries, but cherry leaves possess curative properties. Their health benefits are enormous:
- strengthens the immune system and increases the body's defenses;
- have anti-inflammatory properties;
- have a hemostatic effect;
- restores water-salt metabolism;
- purify the body of toxins, remove sand from the kidneys and even radionucleides;
- have a diuretic effect;
- has a detrimental effect on bacteria, viruses and fungi;
- have an antioxidant effect that helps slow down aging;
- relieve fatigue and return workability.
When it is useful to use cherry leaves
Most folk medicine lovers use such decoctions only for raising the immunity and lacking vitamin C. But cherry leaves can be used to treat many diseases:
- for colds and flu;
- nasal bleeding;
- at elevated pressure;
- of anemia;
- ischemic heart disease;
- as an expectorant for bronchitis;
- for liver disease.
Are there any contraindications to their use
Many people know that cherry berries can cause abdominal pain and irritation of the gastric mucosa with gastritis and ulcers. And during exacerbations they generally can not be consumed. But quite another - cherry leaves. Useful properties and contraindications to them are slightly different. They do not cause an increase in the acidity of the gastric juice. You can drink broths on their basis and during pregnancy, and during breast-feeding. It is not recommended only to use them in such cases:
- with exacerbation of gastritis and peptic ulcer;
- with a tendency to constipation, as broths have a binding effect;
- under reduced pressure;
- diabetes mellitus;
- for individual intolerance.
How to properly use the leaves of
They can be consumed both in fresh and dried form. The most useful are young cherry leaves. Therefore, it is better to collect them in May before the beginning of flowering. At this time, they contain the most useful substances, they are tender and juicy. Such leaves can be dried for the winter. Do it better at room temperature, spreading them in a thin layer on a baking tray or towel and stirring occasionally. Raw, cooked in this way, preserves all the useful properties of fresh leaves and their wonderful aroma. Keep the dried leaves in a glass jar for no more than a year.
To prepare medicinal broths, take 2 tablespoons of fresh leaves or 1 spoonful of dried, as they are more concentrated. Raw stuff is filled with a glass of boiling water and kept on low heat for 3-5 minutes. After cooling, the broth must be filtered and used for treatment according to the prescription.
Cherry leaves in cooking
They are not eaten fresh, as they are too hard. Best of all, its aroma and taste leaves the cherry leaves after heat treatment. Therefore, they have long been used for making teas, compotes, cooking jam, jam or syrup. And now many mistresses add these leaves to the cans when preserving vegetables. After all, it is a natural flavor, giving cucumbers and tomatoes an unusual pleasant taste. In addition, fresh cherry leaves have preservative properties. The berries and fruits are stored in their presence longer.
Cherry leaves are one of the components of a very tasty "royal jam".It is made from gooseberry. But you need to cook berries not on the water, but on a strong infusion of cherry leaves. This jam has an unusual pleasant aroma and taste.
Drinks from cherry leaves
From them you can prepare delicious and healthy teas and compotes that perfectly quench your thirst and improve immunity. And they can be used without restrictions, since they have no contraindications.
Tea from cherry leaves is most often used. Each mistress brews it according to her own recipe: with the addition of tea leaves or other herbs. You can drink this tea with honey, syrup or lemon. It is tasty and without anything, as the leaves give the drink a delicate aroma of cherry and soft sourness.
At the beginning of summer, you can prepare a useful vitamin compote. To do this, finely chop the rhubard shoots and boil 15-20 minutes together with fresh cherry leaves. At the end of the cooking, add sugar to taste.
The most popular application of cherry leaves is vitaminized drinks and teas. But in folk medicine, they are used for serious illnesses. Most often apply several recipes.
- To restore the liver with hepatitis, you need 2 tablespoons of crushed fresh leaves to boil a few minutes in half a glass of milk. This amount is consumed throughout the day.
- Several cups of decoction of dried raw materials per day should be drunk with kidney diseases. The diuretic effect of this drink displays pathogenic bacteria and gently dissolves stones.
- If you insist fresh or dry leaves on alcohol, and then strain, you get an effective antiseptic solution. It can be consumed both inside and outside.
- From such a decoction you can make applications to stop nosebleeds.
- When joint pains, leaves need to be brewed together with thin branches. Boil them a little longer - about 15 minutes.
- Decoction of crushed leaves and cherry twigs can be used for gargling or inhalation for tonsillitis and colds.
External application ofleaves
They are very useful also for preserving the beauty and youth of the skin. Their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties allow using them successfully in the masks for skin and hair. They are especially useful for high fat content. Decoctions of cherry leaves effectively relieve swelling and reduce inflammation. Such lotions and compresses stop bleeding, destroy bacteria and accelerate the healing of wounds. And if you freeze the broth, such ice cubes are an excellent tonic and cleanser for the face. Cherry twigs with leaves are useful as a bath broom. Emitted essential oils have a rejuvenating effect on the skin and toning - on the whole body.
Cherry leaves are an affordable and very effective remedy for many. Delicious and aromatic tea in the winter will remind you of sunny days and will saturate the body with vitamins.