Antibiotics without prescriptions: list, instructions for use and reviews
Nowadays, everyone who addresses to doctors, conditionally divided into two camps. The first half includes those who do not accept antibiotics and rely on traditional medicine and body reserves. The second - on the contrary, considers any treatment without antibacterial drugs ineffective and requires the doctor of their mandatory appointment. Where there is a truth and whether it is possible to apply antibiotics without a doctor's prescription - let's try to figure it out.
When are antibiotics needed?
Undoubtedly, the ingenious invention of pharmacological science - an antibiotic - has saved more than one life. Previously, it was almost a panacea, which raised the dying from the bed. Today it is commonplace: in any pharmacy you can easily buy antibiotics without prescriptions, for every taste and purse.
But before you run after the antibacterial drug for any sneezing and rubbing in the side, it's worth remembering when their application makes sense.
- Complications after respiratory viral infections. It is complications, as against the viral disease the antibiotic is powerless. Usually a secondary infection manifests itself as a sharp deterioration in health after a short period of recovery.
- Confirmed laboratory bacterial infections and inflammatory processes that are caused by them.
- Chronic inflammatory diseases and their relapses.
- Acute manifestation of inflammatory processes.
- Prevention of infectious inflammation after surgical interventions.
In serious situations, the scheme of antibiotics is prescribed by the attending physician. But with seasonal indispositions and exacerbations of chronic diseases, we are inclined to prescribe antibiotics without prescriptions.
Features of the application
Antibacterial drugs quickly and effectively help to temper the symptoms of the disease. But apart from the fact that they must be properly selected, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules of antibiotic treatment, otherwise they will not be able to act or the side effect of the drugs will appear.
- Antibiotics sold without a doctor's prescription, should be taken strictly according to the scheme described in the instructions to the drug. Dosage is calculated depending on the weight or age of the patient. You can follow the scheme of the appointment, appointed by the doctor individually for the patient.
- It is not advisable to skip the reception of the drug. If you need to take an antibiotic two or three times a day, it's best to do it at the same time.
- Antibiotic treatment must be taken at least 5 days. The course of admission should be completed, even if the visible symptoms of the disease do not bother. If the effect of treatment does not occur, the doctor can prolong the course of treatment with the drug or recommend a change of the drug.
- During treatment, the use of alcohol in any form is unacceptable. It not only creates a colossal load on the liver, but it can also weaken the action of the antibiotic. As a result, there will be no benefit from the treatment, only harm.
Reviews of patients who have to be treated with antibiotics are almost always positive. But the key to the success of treatment in the first place is the right choice of the drug.
Groups of antibacterial drugs
Depending on the nature and severity of the disease, antibiotics of different groups are used: they have different effects and affect different types of bacteria. The stronger the drug, the more dangerous it is to use antibiotics without prescriptions or doctors' recommendations.
The following are the most popular antibiotic groups:
- Penicillins. Not only bacteria are affected, but they can stop their growth and reproduction. Virtually no toxic effect on the body. Quite quickly, the effectiveness is lost and lost with prolonged use: the bacteria develop resistance to the drug. Allergic reactions are possible.
- Cephalosporins. They have a wide spectrum of action and are effective in a variety of bacterial infections. The advantage of antibiotics of this group is the ability to destroy bacteria that are resistant to penicillin. Among the side effects observed allergic reaction and violation of microflora.
- Macrolides. Block the growth and multiplication of bacteria;are able to penetrate into cells and fight with pathogens of complex diseases. Practically non-toxic: suitable for long-term courses of treatment, but can be used in short courses of antibiotic intake.
- Tetracyclines. Also affect the reproduction and growth of bacteria, but with prolonged use can have a devastating effect on the body. Most often used for external use in the form of ointments and creams.
How to choose an antibiotic?
Taking antibiotics on your own without prescription is always a risk. Properly selected medication is always the first step on the road to recovery.
For the treatment of oral infections, chronic tonsillitis, tonsillitis, scarlet fever, as well as infection of wound surfaces and pneumonia, antibiotics of the penicillin series are used. The most popular representatives of such drugs are ampicillin and amoxicillin. These drugs are resistant to the action of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, so they are effective in the form of capsules or tablets. Apply them two times a day, regardless of the meal.
When there is a bacterial infection of the urinary tract, respiratory tract, inflammatory processes of acute and chronic nature in ENT diseases, antibiotics of a number of cephalosporins are used. The most popular drugs are ceftriaxone, cefotaxime, cefuroxime. The effectiveness of treatment increases with intramuscular injection of drugs 2 times a day at regular intervals.
An antibiotic that is dispensed without a prescription, but has shown high effectiveness in the treatment of chlamydia, genital infections, atypical pneumonia is azithromycin. He is the most popular representative of the macrolide group. Also this group of antibiotics is widely used for the treatment of infectious diseases in children and pregnant women due to low toxicity against the background of pronounced antibacterial action. Take azithromycin should be according to the scheme described in the instructions to the drug. Most often this is a single application per day of a tablet or suspension.
In inflammatory skin diseases, infection of wounds, as well as bacterial infections of the mucous, ointments containing tetracycline are widely used. They are relatively safe for topical application and are quite effective.
Features of treating children
Children taking antibiotics without prescriptions are even more dangerous: an incorrectly selected drug may not have the expected effect, and the disease will progress.
Many mothers know their children well: in children, frequent respiratory infections are accompanied by the same complications. The pediatrician prescribes an antibiotic according to the standard scheme. And when the history repeats, the parents rush not to the pediatrician for the prescription, but to the pharmacy for rescue in the form of an antibiotic.
In this case, self-treatment is acceptable, but under condition of constant monitoring of the baby's condition. If the symptoms do not go away after three days of treatment, and the health worsens, a pediatrician consultation is immediately needed.
Most often parents take antibiotics of the penicillin group: amoxicillin, flemoxyl, ampicillin. They are quite effective in diseases of the throat and upper respiratory tract.
More complex preparations should not be taken alone: the pediatrician will not only schedule an antibiotic, but also prescribe additional medications to reduce the harmful effects of drugs on the child's body.
We take care!
If you decide to take antibiotics yourself, without waiting for the doctor's advice, you need to remember a few basic points of treatment.
- Antibiotics require regularity and strict admission.
- Some drugs affect not only the "bad" bacteria that cause the disease, but also the "good" microflora. Be ready for abnormalities in the intestine, it may be necessary to combine the intake of antibiotics and lactobacilli.
- Do not take alcohol, fatty or heavy food. The antibiotic is excreted by the liver, the load on it is increased due to illness and treatment, do not abuse its diligence.
- Closely monitor the health status: with the slightest signs of an allergic reaction, worsening of the condition or the appearance of new symptoms - the drug should be stopped and consult a doctor.
What antibiotics without prescriptions can be taken, and which ones are not worth it - it's up to you. If you know your body well and can say that this or that antibiotic will help you - take the instructions. But if in doubt, it is better not to regret the time and see a doctor: the result will be more rapid and effective.