Loperamide preparation, instructions for use
The "Loperamide"( capsules) contains an active substance called loperamide hydrochloride. The drug is included in the clinical and pharmacological group of antidiarrhoeal agents. Against the background of taking capsules, intestinal motility decreases, the peristalsis is inhibited and the passage time of stool masses increases. The drug strengthens the tone of the sphincter, which refers to the anal opening. The drug retains its activity in the body for about 6 hours.
The active substance breaks down into metabolites, the majority of which is excreted through the intestine, a small part through the kidneys.
Loperamide preparation, indications for use of
The doctor prescribes the medicine:
- for diarrhea in acute or chronic form, including those that have arisen against allergies, emotional overstrain, medication or radiation therapy;
- when changing the diet, including the mode of eating;
- for metabolic disturbances in the body;
- in complex treatment for acute infectious diseases of the digestive system;
- for patients with ileostomy for stool regulation.
The dosage regimen is determined by the doctor
. The drug "Loperamide", the instruction indicates, is prescribed to adults for the treatment of acute diarrhea, the first dose is selected 2 capsules - 4 mg of the active ingredient. Then every time after the committed act of defecation, if there is a loose stool, drink another 1 capsule - 2 mg of the active ingredient.
Treatment of diarrhea in chronic form is characterized by the fact that the first dose is prescribed in the amount of 2 mg of the drug, this is 1 capsule, the further maintenance dose is chosen taking into account the fact that the stool frequency should be 1 to 2 times a day. The number of assigned capsules varies from 1 to 6 pieces per day.
Do not exceed the maximum allowable dose of loperamide hydrochloride by adults - 16 mg.
The drug "Loperamide", the instruction warns, appoint children who have reached the age of 4 years.
Children under 9 years of age( 4-8 years old) are prescribed 1 mg of active ingredient 3 to 4 times a day for 3 days.
Children under 12 years of age( 9-12 years old) are prescribed 1 capsule 4 times a day for a 5-day course of treatment.
Occasionally, side effects may occur after taking Loperamide. The instruction contains data on possible violations in the digestive system, which are manifested by abdominal pain, swelling, nausea, constipation, dry mouth.
The instruction contains data on possible violations in the nervous system, which are manifested by increased fatigue, drowsiness, dizziness.
The appearance of an allergic reaction is indicated by a skin rash.
There are a number of contraindications to the use of the drug "Loperamide".The instruction warns that this pharmaceutical agent can not be prescribed:
- in case of intestinal obstruction;
- with constipation, bloating, subillus;
- for acute dysentery as a monotherapy;
- for acute colitis complicated by ulcerative processes;
- for colitis of pseudomembranous type, which occurred on the background of uncontrolled intake of antibiotic drugs;
- for children under the age of 4;
- for women in the first trimester of pregnancy;
- with individual hypersensitivity to the drug components.
According to clinical studies, a certain amount of active ingredient of the drug has been found in breast milk, so it is recommended that women who are breast-feeding children from the use of this drug are discouraged.
When prescribing capsules to patients with abnormal liver function, care should be taken to monitor the patient's condition. It is not recommended to prescribe the drug "Loperamide" in order to suppress intestinal peristalsis. After applying the drug for 2 days, a positive effect should be observed, otherwise a diagnosis should be revised to exclude the presence of a pathogenic infection in the body that provokes a disruption of the intestine.