Because of what has swelled up a leg or foot?
Swelling of the feet can occur even in healthy people. But if the healthy legs are only a few hours rest for the removal of the tumor, then in case of illness this problem remains actual for a very long time.
If your leg is suddenly swollen, there may be several reasons for this:
- Heart failure. This disease is very severe and manifests not only swollen legs, but also accompanied by a huge number of other symptoms. With this disease, the legs are often cold, the swelling appears after sleeping or closer to the evening and is located on both legs. In case a person lays for a long time, the waist may also swell.
The development of the disease provokes swelling of the hands, dyspnea with light physical exertion, the appearance of excess weight. If you have diagnosed yourself with such signs, you should urgently go to the doctor, or the outcome will be very sad.
1. Varicose veins. This pathology provokes a violation in the outflow of blood from the vessels of the legs. The fluid contained in the vessels penetrates into soft tissues, which causes swelling. Such a problem arises gradually, so the patient will not be able to say specifically when his leg is swollen.
In contrast to heart failure, varicose acts on the lower limbs asymmetrically. As a rule, after a dream swelling decreases. Among other things, the legs can also be seen enlarged veins or trophic ulcers, sometimes it comes to small hemorrhages. The cause of this disease is a disruption in the nutrition of tissues and blood circulation.
2. Vascular thrombosis or phlebitis. This condition is extremely dangerous, since a blood clot forms in the lumens of the blood vessels, which closes it. Because of this pathology, the liquid part of the blood penetrates and lingers in the soft tissues. This disease can be called acute inflammation of the legs, which can lead to terrible consequences.
If you suspect that your leg is swollen due to phlebitis or thrombophlebitis, then pay attention also to the presence of injuries, infections or violations in the functions of the kidneys, because all this can cause the disease. The swelling is constantly hot, dense and painful, regardless of physical activity and time of day.
The legs feel pain and it is localized in the place of a blood clot. The intensity of pain directly depends on the degree of blockage of the vessel.
3. Cachexia and fasting. Edema occurs due to the violation of protein metabolism in case of abuse of mono-diets and unloading days, and also because of the introduction of vegetarianism into the lifestyle. In this case, the sign can be not only that the feet are swollen, but also the violation of water exchange throughout the body.
4. Diseases of the liver. With such pathologies, liver cells begin to die, and it does not cope with all the functions assigned to it. Metabolism is disturbed, the fluid is retained in the body due to disruption of albumin production. In a large circle of blood circulation stagnation occurs and the stomach begins to swell. This swelling compresses the lower vena cava and provokes an increase in the edema of the lower extremities.
5. Hypoteriosis. This disease occurs due to violations in the functionality of the thyroid gland and a decrease in the production of hormones. This diagnosis can be confirmed if your leg is swollen around the ankle, and your skin looks like wax, and pits do not appear on the swollen place due to pressure.
6. Taking medication. If you often use hormonal drugs, antidepressants, beta-blockers, there may be local edema in the lower limbs. Avoid the problem when using the drug strictly in accordance with the instructions. In case of problems, you should immediately consult a doctor who will replace your medicine. However, if you notice that your leg is swollen, then you should not look for the cause yourself and try to remove swelling alone, it is better to immediately consult a doctor and cure the very reason for their appearance.