Blood sampling from the finger is a fairly common procedure. With the need for such an analysis from time to time, every person faces, regardless of gender and age. Therefore, many are interested: how to donate blood from a finger correctly? What is determined during the research of her samples? What rules should be followed to obtain the most accurate results?
Why do I need an analysis?
Many patients from polyclinics and hospitals are primarily sent to take a blood test from a finger. In addition, such a study is also carried out in preventive measures. To date, the study of samples of so-called capillary blood is the most accessible and at the same time informative method. After all, his results give the doctor the opportunity to determine the state of the whole organism.
Thanks to such laboratory tests, it is possible to establish a more or less precise blood formula, as well as to determine its group and the presence of a protein Rh factor in it. In addition, a general analysis allows you to know the hemoglobin level and the erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
Determination of the blood formula: why is it needed?
Laboratory test allows you to establish an approximate number of blood cells, which makes it possible to determine the general state of the body. After all, it's not a secret for anyone that virtually any disease entails a change in the blood formula. What exactly do laboratory assistants and doctors pay attention to?
- Calculate the number of leukocytes, as well as differential analysis( determine the number of basophils, eosinophils, neutrophils, monocytes and lymphocytes).The number of white blood cells increases with infection and inflammation, and a change in the level of each of these cells indicates a problem.
- In addition, the level of hemoglobin and the number of erythrocytes are measured. For example, a decrease in the number of red blood cells may indicate anemia.
- Calculation of platelets helps to establish the presence of certain bone marrow diseases, and may also indicate a bleeding disorder.
What is ESR?
During the general blood test, the erythrocyte sedimentation rate is determined. The results of this analysis are not specific - they indicate the presence of certain violations, but do not provide information on the causes of their occurrence. The essence of the study is simple - the rate of sedimentation of red blood cells in the plasma depends on their ability to aggregate( glue).In norm or rate ESR makes 2-15 mm at an o'clock at women and 1-10 mm at an o'clock at men. Changing the indicator may be an indirect sign of inflammation and some other pathological processes.
How to donate blood from a finger? Rules for the preparation of
Immediately it should be noted that there are many factors that can affect the composition of blood and some of its properties. That's why many people are interested in the question of how to donate blood properly. In fact, the rules here are very simple:
- Hand in a blood test from the finger in the morning, always on an empty stomach. Laboratory tests will be most accurate only if samples are surrendered 8-12 hours after the last meal. This is why most polyclinics take blood samples from 7:00 to 11:00.
- In the morning allowed to drink only a small amount of plain water( not carbonated, not sweet).
- Only cases where a patient is suspected of some serious, serious illness, in particular myocardial infarction, appendicitis, acute pancreatitis, can be an exception. In such situations one can not wait until the morning.
- You should not donate blood if you drank alcohol the night before. The presence of alcohol in the body can distort the test results, so it's best to transfer the analysis to another day.
- Specialists recommend avoiding samples of intensive physical activity, as well as visiting saunas, baths, taking a cold shower before taking samples. Strong effects on the body of external factors can affect the blood formula.
- Immediately before the test, finger tips should not be rubbed, as this can affect the number of white blood cells in the formula.
So the rules on how to donate blood from a finger look like. Do not neglect the recommendations, because incorrect results of tests can affect the final diagnosis.
Blood sampling from the finger:algorithm
In the previous paragraph, the preparation for the study was described. But how is the blood sampled from the finger itself? The algorithm looks something like this:
- Capillary blood is taken from the fourth( unnamed) finger of the left hand.
- To begin with, the lab technician should wipe the skin with an antiseptic( most often with this purpose an alcohol solution is used).
- A special needle-scarifier is used to puncture the skin. The puncture is made from the side of the first phalanx of the finger. The needle is injected to a depth of 2.5-3 mm.
- It should be noted that after the puncture the blood should be free. Some lab technicians tightly squeeze the tissue to improve blood flow. The problem is that at this pressure, the tissue fluid is also added to the blood, which naturally affects the result of the study.
- The first drop of blood should be wiped off with a sterile cotton swab - it is not informative.
- First, a small amount of blood is collected to determine the level of hemoglobin and measurement of ESR.The second portion of blood is used to determine the number of shaped elements. Then with the help of glasses make smears that allow you to quickly examine the cells under a microscope.
- It should be recalled that during the procedure, the laboratory technician must use a clean, sterile instrument and disposable gloves.
Where can I make such an analysis?
As already mentioned, a finger blood test is prescribed for almost every patient who seeks a doctor with complaints about his health condition. This is the most simple, accessible and informative study that provides the specialist with information about the general condition of the patient's body.
Therefore, blood sampling, as well as its laboratory testing, is carried out in almost every hospital and polyclinic. There are also private diagnostic clinics offering the same service. If you have any questions about where to donate blood from your finger, you just need to ask your doctor about it.