Medicinal preparation "Valvir": reviews of doctors
How does the Valvir drug work? You can find comments about this medication in the materials of the article. Also, it indicates the indications for the use of this medication, its side effects, contraindications and so on.
Composition, packaging of the medicine and its form
In what form is the preparation "Valvir" manufactured? The reviews say that this medication can be purchased in the form of white oval biconvex tablets, covered with a film membrane. The active substance of this agent is valaciclovir hydrochloride hydrate. Microcrystalline cellulose and povidone are used as additional components of the preparation in question.
As for the film shell, it includes giprolose, opadrai white, titanium dioxide, hypromellose and macrogol.
Valvir medication, reviewed below, goes on sale in aluminum foil and PVC blisters, which are placed in cardboard packs.
Pharmacological features of
What properties does the preparation of Valvir have? The doctors say that this is an antiviral. Getting into the human body, valacyclovir is immediately converted into L-valine and acyclovir. This occurs under the influence of valacyclovirhydrolase.
This drug exhibits a specific inhibitory activity against herpes simplex viruses, varicella, cytomegalovirus, etc.
Acyclovir is able to slow down the synthesis of viral DNA, and also convert acyclovir triphosphate to an active form. This substance is inserted into the viral DNA, which subsequently leads to a complete rupture of its chain and blocking the replication of the virus.
After taking the drug, valacyclovir is quickly absorbed from the digestive tract. A single dose of tablets( 0.25-2 g) reaches a maximum concentration in the blood after 1-2 hours. In this case, the bioavailability of the drug is 54%, regardless of food intake.
The relationship of acyclovir to plasma is low and is approximately 15%.This substance is very quickly distributed across all tissues. It can be found in the liver, kidneys, muscles and lungs. Also, acyclovir penetrates into the cerebrospinal fluid, the secret of the vagina and herpetic vesicles.
In people with normal kidney function, the elimination half-life of this drug is 3 hours. The excretion of valaciclovir occurs with urine.
Indications for use
Do you know about the purpose for which the drug "Valvir"( tablets) is prescribed? Testimonials of experienced specialists inform about the following indications:
- herpes zoster;
- labial herpes;
- relapses of infections of the mucous membranes and skin( prevention and treatment) that were caused by the herpes simplex virus( including recurrent and newly diagnosed genital herpes);
- is a cytomegalovirus infection( prophylaxis) that occurred during organ transplantation.
Also considered medication is prescribed to reduce the infection of genital herpes of a healthy partner during intercourse. However, it should be taken as a suppressive treatment in combination with other protective equipment( condoms, etc.).
Contraindications to the use of
In what cases are patients not prescribed a Valvir medication? Instruction, doctors' reviews suggest the following contraindications:
- bone marrow transplantation;
- is a clinically expressed form of HIV infection;
- children's age;
- kidney transplant;
- hypersensitivity to acyclovir, valaciclovir and other drugs.
With special caution, the medication is prescribed for people with hepatic( especially in high dosages), kidney failure, during pregnancy and during breastfeeding.
"Valvir" drug: instructions for use
We will review the medicines below.
How should I take antiviral pills? The medication is prescribed to adults inside. Its dosage depends on the type and severity of the disease.
- Herpes zoster - 1000 mg three times a day for a week.
- Simple herpes - 500 mg twice daily. With relapse, the course can last 3-5 days, and with the first episode - up to 10 days.
- Labial herpes - 2 g 2 times a day. The second dosage should be taken after 12 hours.
- Prevention of recurrence of infections, which was caused by the herpes simplex virus, in people with normal immunity - 500 mg once a day, with frequent relapses - 250 mg twice a day, in adults with immunodeficiency - 500 mg twice a day. The duration of therapy is 5-12 months.
- Prevention of cytomegalovirus infection in adolescents over the age of twelve and adults is two grams four times a day. The duration of therapy is three months.
How to prevent the infection of a healthy partner to take the drug "Valvir"( 1500) from herpes? Experts say that people with immunity, as well as with frequent relapses, are prescribed medication in the amount of 500 mg once a day during the year. With irregular sexual acts, you must start taking the medication for three days.
The dose of the drug should be reduced in patients with impaired renal function.
Cases of overdose with
tablets What are the symptoms when Valvir is not taken properly? The doctors' reviews indicate the following signs of an overdose: nausea, confusion, vomiting, development of kidney failure, headache, increased serum creatinine concentration, hallucinations, seizures, agitation, coma.
Victims should be under constant medical supervision to detect symptoms of toxic effects.
Hemodialysis can completely remove acyclovir from the blood.
Side effects of
What side effects may occur when taking Valvir( 500 mg).Patients' reviews particularly often speak of such undesirable effects as nausea and headache. Also, the drug in question can also cause quite serious adverse reactions in the form of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, acute renal failure, hemolytic-uremic syndrome and neurological disorders.
In addition to the above, experts also talk about the following undesirable effects:
- discomfort in the abdomen;
- , leukopenia, thrombocytopenia;
- agitation, dizziness, agitation, depression, confusion, psychotic symptoms, hallucinations, encephalopathy, decreased mental abilities, dysarthria;
- rashes, photosensitivity, itching;
- angioedema, hives;
- disorders in kidney function;
- vision impairment;
- neutropenia, leukoplastic vasculitis, aplastic anemia, thrombocytopenic thrombotic purpura;
- multiform erythema;
- hypercreatininaemia, decreased hemoglobin;
- , respiratory tract infection, dysmenorrhea, tachycardia, arthralgia, fatigue, nasopharyngitis, dehydration, face swelling, fever, increased blood pressure, rhinorrhea.
Special recommendations for taking Valvir( how to take: before meals or after meals)?
Reviews of doctors say that the bioavailability of this medication is not dependent on food intake. Therefore, it can be taken with or without food. The main thing is to observe an equal interval between daily dosages.
It should also be noted that the elderly are not required to adjust the dose, except in cases where there are significant violations in the work of the kidneys.
There is no experience of clinical use of medication in young children. Therefore, it is highly recommended not to prescribe such a drug to babies under the age of 12-14.
Reviews about the drug
Herpes is a virus that bothers many people around the world. Therefore, the drug "Valvir" is in great demand in the pharmaceutical market. According to the patients' reviews, this medicine helps to quickly eliminate herpetic eruptions, as well as improve the patient's well-being.
"Valvir" is used not only for the treatment of the virus, but also for preventive purposes. Many people note that when taking this medicine, the frequency of herpes is noticeably reduced.
One can not help saying that if you comply with all the rules for taking the medicine, it almost never causes side effects. However, it should be noted that along with positive reviews, this drug also has negative. Most of them are related to the high cost of the drug. Currently, ten tablets( 500 mg) of Valvir can be purchased for 600-680 rubles.