Endoscopy of the intestine: what is it, description of the procedure, indications, preparation
An intuitive way to identify diseases in the digestive system is called "endoscopy of the intestine."What it is, what kinds of this method there are, and how each of them is carried out - this is what this article will discuss. Also, we will determine which diet should be followed before the procedure. And let's find out the approximate cost of manipulation.
Endoscopy of the intestine: what is it?
This is a special research method that allows to assess the state of intestinal walls from the inside with the help of special devices. Endoscopy is carried out in many medical institutions. This method of examination can detect diseases of the intestine and rectum.
Endoscopy is most often performed using endoscopes - long tubes made of plastic or iron, with a camera at the end. Thanks to such devices, one can not only examine and take on tissue analysis, but also conduct surgical interventions.
Also during the endoscopy, other equipment can be used - a special camera that a person swallows during the procedure. Which device to choose - the doctor decides together with the patient.
Endoscopy is divided into the following types:
- Capsular endoscopy of the intestine - when the small intestine is examined. With this method, the patient swallows a special capsule with a built-in camera.
- Colonoscopy - a method of examination of all areas of the intestine.
- Rectoscopy is a method for assessing the condition of the rectum.
When can I be appointed?
A medical examination called endoscopy can be performed if a person is concerned:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Pain of unknown origin in the abdomen.
- Polyps in the stomach, intestines.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- The presence of a foreign body in the intestine.
Also this study the doctor can prescribe:
- If there is a suspicion of ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease.
- With weight loss against anemia of an incomprehensible genesis or elevated temperature.
- If there is a suspicion of a tumor, an ulcer. In this case, the specialist conducts a biopsy.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the therapeutic process.
Preparation for a survey called endoscopy of the intestine
We have already considered what it is, now we need to find out what a person should do to be successful.
- Clear the intestines from stool.
- Follow the diet.
The day before the survey, you need to put an enema or take laxatives.
You need to go to a diet 2 days before endoscopy. The person should exclude from the diet the following products:
- Raw vegetables, fruits and berries.
- Porridge( millet, pearl, oatmeal).
- Black bread.
At this time, the ideal products are:
- Sour-milk products.
- Boiled lean chicken meat.
- Gallet cookies.
This medical examination is not performed if the patient has:
- Shock status.
- Blood clotting disorder.
- Severe ulcerative colitis.
- Mental problems.
- Suspicion of perforation.
- Toxic megacolon( defect in which the large intestine increases in size).
The endoscopy of the small intestine is an invasive procedure, that is, related to penetration into the body, but complications in its implementation are rare. Although the risk is actually there. True, it can be associated with the actions not of the doctor, but of the patient himself. For example, if the big one is too overdoing when cleaning the intestine, then this can lead to excessive loss of fluid. As a result, a person will faint. The complications caused by the procedure itself can be as follows:
- Pain shock.
- Disruption of intestinal integrity.
- Acute pancreatitis.
- Temporary lowering of blood pressure.
- The appearance of wounds, pustules.
Apparently, the procedure is serious, so you do not need to treat it lightly.
Conducting of rectoscopy
This is one of the types of endoscopy of the intestine. This examination is performed by inserting a special instrument into the anus - the sigmoidoscope. To rectoscopy, doctors resorted when it is necessary to diagnose early oncological diseases of the rectum.
How to examine the intestine in this case, and in what position is the patient during the procedure? The patient should undress below the waist and stand in the knee-elbow position on the couch. First, the doctor by the method of palpation examines the anus. Then the specialist lubricates the instrument with petroleum jelly and slowly introduces it into the anus. Then the doctor removes the limiter and determines the rectomanoscope deeper. Further examination is carried out under video control. The tool tip moves freely through the lumen of the intestine. Upon examination, the specialist draws attention to the elasticity of the mucous membrane, the structure, color of the intestine, the vasculature, the presence of neoplasms.
This is another method of examination of the intestine, allowing more accurate and effective detection of benign and malignant tumors, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis. The peculiarity of colonoscopy is that simultaneously with the diagnosis, treatment procedures can also be carried out, for example, extracting a foreign body, stopping bleeding, removing neoplasms.
Endoscopy of the intestine, preparation for which should be carried out a few days prior to manipulation, is considered quite long. The time of the colonoscopy is from 30 minutes to 1 hour. Also, this method is quite painful, so the doctor often uses anesthesia. The procedure begins with anesthesia;when she acts, the expert introduces a tool into the anus, and then slowly moves it forward. In this case, the bowel is filled with air.
The patient during the procedure first lies on his side with legs tucked up to the trunk. After a while, he is turned over on his back.
For a precise diagnosis, the doctor takes a biopsy.
Conducting capsule endoscopy
How to examine the intestine in this case, and what are the advantages, disadvantages of this method?
The patient swallows a one-time video cassette that passes through the esophagus, stomach, thick and thin intestines and automatically takes pictures. During this survey a person can do anything: watch TV, read a book, communicate with relatives.
Duration of capsular endoscopy - from 8 to 9 hours, with the patient can be in any position. During the diagnosis, the doctor closely follows the progress of the capsule. He can at any time see where it goes, turn it off for a while, to keep the charge. The capsule leaves naturally, after which the video information from it is recorded on the computer. Then, using the programs of the doctor, they scan the images, evaluate the pictures and make a diagnosis.
Advantages and disadvantages of capsular endoscopy of the intestine
- Painless procedure.
- Comfort. During the manipulation, a person does not experience any discomfort. He can move freely, do whatever he wants.
- Security. There is no negative impact on the body of the video capsule. Completely eliminates the risk of damage to internal organs. The capsule itself is disposable, sterile, so you do not need to worry about getting infected with the body.
- High performance. This method of examination allows for 100% to reveal any deviations, bowel diseases.
Cons: it is one, and it is a high cost procedure. So, depending on the venue, the patient will have to give from 25 to 60 thousand rubles.
Cost of intestinal endoscopy
Depending on the type of manipulation performed, the prices will vary:
- Colonoscopy - from 6 to 8 thousand rubles.
- Rectoscopy - from 8 to 10 thousand rubles.
- Capsular endoscopy, the price of which was the highest, will cost the patient an average of 30 thousand rubles.
These are all conditional prices, for more specific figures the patient should go directly to the medical institution where the manipulation will take place.
A reliable method for studying diseases of the digestive system is endoscopy of the intestine. What is it, and what kinds of this procedure is divided, found out. We realized that before you go to endoscopy, you need to carefully prepare for it: exclude prohibited foods, cleanse the intestines. We also need to be morally tune to this research: stop being nervous, worry. After all, you are not the first, and not the last, who passes through endoscopy. And the price of this survey should not scare, because health is more valuable than any money.