Cervical corset with osteochondrosis. Orthopedic collar. Cervical bandage
A fairly common disease of the cervical spine is osteochondrosis, in the treatment of which various methods are used: medicines, physiotherapy, massage. There is also another no less effective tool - cervical corset, reliably fixing the neck, inhibiting the further development of the disease, contributing to a rapid recovery.
Collar for the neck: definition of the concept
The neck bandage is a tight roller, fastened around the neck. It allows you to fix the vertebrae so that they do not move or move during movement. Consequently, the segment of the spine becomes more stable, prevents the infringement of the nerve roots, impaired blood circulation.
This corset limits the movement of the head, which ensures complete rest to the vertebrae of the cervical region. Good fixing helps to improve the condition with exacerbation of pathology, faster recovery.
Assignment of bandage
The cervical corset is recommended to be worn in the following diseases and conditions of the vertebrae:
- osteochondrosis of the cervical region;
- stretch, bruises, myositis;
- marked scoliosis;
- blood pressure changes, darkening in the eyes;
- headaches and dizziness;
- threat of ischemia after a stroke;
- in the postoperative period;
- prevention of displacement or deformation of the cervical vertebrae.
To make the product useful, do not hurt, you need to get an orthopedic consultation that will help you choose the right collar: determine its appearance, stiffness, give recommendations for wearing.
Kinds and types of corsets for the neck
The bandage is a dense frame fastened around the cervical spine, limiting various head movements: flexion, extension, rotation. However, the orthopedic collar is of several types, differing in the material of manufacture, the presence / absence of additional elements:
- The Schantz tire is a frame made of dense material. The collar fastens around the neck, except for fixation, it performs the function of warming tissues and improving blood circulation.
- With inflatable pillow - consists of two dense strips, inside of which is an air element, inflated with a special pear. This model completely repeats the biological features of the cervical region.
- Inflatable collar is a rubber frame, filled with air with a special pear, fixes the neck well, provides gentle stretching of the vertebrae.
- Collar "Philadelphia", a distinctive feature of which is the hole on the neck. The product relieves the greenhouse effect, allows air to circulate around the neck.
The corset differs in the degree of rigidity. The following types of structures stand out:
- rigid - the frame is made of plastic tires;
- semi-rigid - composed of polyurethane;
- soft - they are based on elastic, foamed polymer.
All kinds of bandages are made of hypoallergenic materials that are harmless to human health.
Shantz orthopedic collar is the most famous product among corsets. It is characterized by the simplicity of construction, comfortable wearing, in addition, it is soft enough, while keeping the shape well.
This type of shroud can be of two types:
- rigid - the base is made up of a plastic tire, the outer part is made of soft material;
- semi-rigid / soft - the frame is made of polyurethane, characterized by softness, elasticity, the ability to take the anatomical shape of the neck.
The Shantz tire performs the following functions:
- restricts any movements produced by the cervical spine;
- eliminates muscle spasms;
- corrects the broken position of the vertebrae;
- prevents vasoconstriction;
- warms, restores blood circulation;
- reduces the fear of accidental rotation of the head during a period of severe pain.
In general, this cervical corset with osteochondrosis due to increasing the distance between the vertebrae and preventing load in problem areas positively affects the recovery processes, relieves muscle tension, relieves pain.
This type of corset has a hole for the tracheotomy, it is made of hypoallergenic materials( lightweight yet robust polyurethane foam), tightly and securely fixed due to the velcro fastener. Keeps the head well, reduces pain.
Intended bandage, primarily for patients with tracheostomy: a special hole in the product allows you to monitor the condition of the disease, to provide proper care, to conduct the necessary examinations. In addition, this hole provides ventilation, prevents excessive sweating.
The corset "Philadelphia" is recommended to be worn in the following cases:
- when diagnosing osteochondrosis;
- when getting injuries, bruises, fractures of the spine;
- when stretching the neck muscles;
- with strong mobility or displacement of the vertebrae;
- in the postoperative period;
- for neurologic pain.
Rules for wearing a collar for the neck
In order for the bandage to be of use, it was really effective, it is necessary to take into account the rules for wearing it, neglecting which can negatively affect the general well-being of the patient.
The following rules apply to the main ones:
- cervical collar is appointed by the treating orthopedist or vertebrologist, it determines the type, design type, time of use;
- for the first use of the bandage wear no more than 15 minutes, then this period gradually increases;
- is prohibited from using the corset at night;
- in the afternoon the product is worn no more than 6 hours, regardless of breaks;
- after removing the collar can not be in a draft, change the temperature regime;
- during work is recommended not to remove the corset, it can be done only in breaks;
- not suitable for the size of the cervical bandage can not be used, it must be replaced by another;
- if the product does not hold its head well, it is recommended to tighten it more tightly;
- should wear a collar for at least a month, but the entire course of treatment should not be more than three months.
Contraindications in the use of the corset
Despite all the positive aspects, the neck bandage is not recommended for patients who have some health problems, since the product can aggravate the situation:
- different neoplasms in the cervical spine;
- skin diseases;
- disorders of cerebral circulation;
- myocardial infarction;
- instability of the vertebrae with the threat of damage to the spinal cord.
In addition, the corset for the cervical spine can also negatively affect the patient's well-being, therefore, if the following symptoms appear, you should stop wearing the product, contact the leading doctor and choose another method of treatment:
- permanent headaches;
- frequent dizziness;
- the onset of syncope;
- appearance of fatigue, weakness;
- nausea or vomiting.
Tips for choosing the collar
The correct choice of model depends on the individual characteristics of the patient's cervical department, the purpose of use, age( adult, child).Often you have to try a few corsets to find the perfect one. Someone is enough to wear an inflatable cervical collar to get rid of the problem, while another will help the tire Shantsa.
In order not to spend extra money, do not go through different types and types of products, it is recommended to consult an orthopedist or vertebrologist who will study the peculiarities of the problem, take into account all the necessary factors and prescribe the corset that will become a good helper and remedy for the patient.
Thus, the cervical corset is characterized by a wide range of uses, has various types, types, is used as a prophylaxis, for therapeutic purposes, during the postoperative period. Its effectiveness in many respects depends on the competent choice of the model, taking into account the rules of wearing and contraindications.