Antiviral drugs for herpes: how to choose?
Herpes is a viral disease in which mucous membranes and skin are affected. As a rule, this disease is recurrent. HSV( herpes simplex virus) affects white blood cells and helps reduce immunity. Unfortunately, modern medicine has not yet developed methods for removing this virus from the body. The main goal of specialists at this stage is to suppress his reproduction during the period of exacerbation. For this, antiviral drugs are used. With herpes, the most effective are the drugs, the active ingredient in which are acyclovir, valaciclovir, famciclovir, penciclovir or allostatin.
Treatment of herpes
Statistically, about 95% of people of reproductive age on our planet are affected by the herpes virus. The exacerbation of the disease in these individuals occurs, as a rule, 4 times a year. It manifests itself in the appearance on the lips, mucous membranes and skin of small vesicles. If the rash appears more often, you should consult a specialist who will prescribe the treatment of herpes with antiviral drugs. Such drugs block the synthesis of herpes DNA and thereby inhibit its reproduction.
During the exacerbation of the disease, people who have HSV in their blood should take certain preventive measures:
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight and cold areas. Overheating and hypothermia suppress immunity and provoke the appearance of herpes.
- Restrict the use of beer and other alcoholic beverages.
- Regularly administer a course of vitamin therapy.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Refuse to smoke.
- Carry out a regular course of therapy for chronic diseases, as they can provoke the development of pathology.
Ointments for herpes
Ointments are effective antiviral drugs for herpes on the lips. They act directly on the visible manifestations of the disease and allow you to quickly get rid of them.
Consider the most popular means for eliminating herpes on the lips and skin:
- "Viru-Merz Serol" - antiviral gel. The main active substance is tromantadine. This remedy quickly relieves pain, burning and itching. Effective in fighting herpes zoster.
- "Panavir" is an immunomodulating gel with antiviral properties. The main active ingredient is hexose glycoside. The gel acts directly on the inflammation focus, suppressing the virus in it. Can be used for genital and herpes zoster.
- Bonofont is an antiviral ointment. The main active ingredient is bromonaphthoquinone.
When rashes on the lips and mucous membranes of the nose and mouth, the use of auxiliary ointments - "Dexpanthenol", "Depanthenol", "Bepantena" is recommended. They promote the regeneration of tissues and accelerate the healing process of crusts.
Specialists claim that the most effective antiviral drugs for herpes are pills. Many people have the opinion that such drugs suppress HSV, saturating the body with harmful "chemistry".However, tablets, unlike ointments, affect the activity of the virus, and not just eliminate the symptoms.
Let's consider the mechanism of action of such medicines.
When the tablet enters the human stomach, the main active substance of the drug is released. Then it is absorbed into the blood and with its help spreads throughout the body. The cells block specific enzymes that are necessary for the reproduction of the pathogen.
Antiviral drugs for herpes are important to take in a timely manner. The course of therapy should begin in the prodromal period - before the appearance of the first visible symptoms. In this case, you will be able to avoid the appearance of sores on the mucous membranes and the body.
It should also be remembered that these medications can only be used after consultation with a specialist.
Preparations based on acyclovir
Medicines, in which the main active ingredient is acyclovir, are the most effective antiviral drugs against herpes. This substance belongs to the group of acyclic nucleosides. Acyclovir, getting into a cell infected with a virus, is activated and oppresses the reproduction of HSV.It is a non-toxic and absolutely harmless component that can be used to treat herpes at any stage. It is well tolerated by the human body and rarely causes side reactions. However, this substance has one significant drawback - the stability of some patients to its effect.
The most effective drugs:
- "Zovirax".Produced in the form of tablets, cream, eye ointment and solution for injection.
- "Virolex".Produced in the form of tablets, eye ointment and cream. It is used for genital herpes, skin lesions, mucous membranes of eyes, with chicken pox, including children under 1 year.
- "Gerperax".Produced in the form of tablets and ointments.
Consider other popular antiviral drugs for herpes( Cycloferon, Valaciclovir, Famvir, Fenistil Pencivir, Allomedin).
- "Cycloferon".Immunomodulating drug with antiviral properties. It is used in the treatment of many diseases, including herpes. Has a wide range of action.
- "Valaciclovir".The drug is a new generation. The mechanism of its action is similar to acyclovir. Produced exclusively in the form of tablets.
- Famvir. Antiviral drug, an effective tool in the fight against herpes. It is well absorbed in the body.
- Fenistil Pencivir. Produced in the form of ointment. It is characterized by high efficiency at the latest stages of the disease.
- Allomedin. Produced in the form of ointment. The action of the remedy is aimed at increasing the natural immunity of the skin of the lips.
Treatment of genital herpes
Genital herpes is a disease that is transmitted through sexual contact. The causative agent is HSV.Statistics show that this disease is the second most common among other ailments transmitted sexually.
The most effective antiviral drugs for genital herpes: