Curvature of toes: reasons, methods of treatment. Operation on the foot
Curvature of the toes on the legs in most cases is for women, not for men. This is due to the wearing of shoes with heels or close model shoes. With constant pressure, the bones are deformed, begin to constrict each other, which causes the formation of corns or calluses. Bones in this case hurt, joints become inflamed, and do not want to wear shoes at all. How to get rid of this problem? Let us first consider the first symptoms. After all, everyone knows that the sooner the treatment starts, the easier it will be to get rid of the pain, and do not have to do the operation on the foot.
The first symptoms of the disease
The disease begins, the appearance of pain syndrome when putting on shoes. When you touch the patient's joint, a person feels severe pain, possibly redness or swelling, but insignificant. Many do not pay attention to the first signs, beginning to notice the disease already with visible curvatures. If the problem with the thumb of the foot, then a "bone" is formed, which is a visible cosmetic defect.
Other fingers are deformed by strong pressure on the adjacent ones, which leads to painful rubbing and indentation of the fingers into each other. It can end with the crossing of fingers. At the very beginning of the disease, it is necessary to consult a specialist and begin nonoperative treatment.
Causes of curvature of fingers
Scientists do not fully understand the causes of this pathology, but it is believed that this is most likely a genetic predisposition, in which the weakness of bone and connective tissue develops. This leads to flat feet, the development of osteoporosis, arthritis, various disorders of the endocrine system. The main reason for curvature is the wearing of an uncomfortable and tight shoe, which by constant pressure on weak joints, breaks their structure.
Types of the disease
There are several varieties of pathology:
- Hammer-shaped curvature of toes. With such a disease, the fingers are bent. Associate this with the wearing of small shoes, arthritis or transverse flatfoot. The ligament loses its flexibility and the degree of tension of the flexural function is impaired. There are two types. In the first case, the finger can be straightened with the hand, in the second case it can not be done even manually. It is necessary immediately to address to the orthopedist and to begin medical massages, to carry fixing insoles and straighteners for a finger. In severe cases, there is no way to do without surgery.
- Clawed violation of the shape of the fingers. Associated with wearing narrow shoes. With this disease, the innervation of the phalanx of the toes is broken, the bone and muscle tissues are affected. It is necessary to switch to shoes with wide socks and soft, non-squeezing fingers. Put on a few fingers a special longi, which prevents the fingers from touching. If a surgical correction of the tendon is prescribed by the doctor, then it is performed by the puncture method, without cutting the tissues and long healing.
- Crossover toes. This type of curvature is clear even to a specialist. It is visually evident that in this case the fingers find each other. The reason may be tight shoes with a narrow toe, a disease of arthritis or transverse flatfoot. At the beginning of this curving of the toes on the legs, you can wear special finger straighteners, but in advanced cases only the operation on the foot will help.
- Valgus deformation of the thumb. With such a disease, a bone grows, which constantly reminds oneself of the pain and fatigue of the feet when walking. Sometimes it becomes inflamed, blushes and hurts when pressing and flexing the foot. The disease can increase, the bone grows, and the finger is further deformed. Treat, mainly, surgically.
- Deformation of Taylor( curvature of the fifth toe).With such a disease, the little finger on the leg is turned inwards. This is due to the incorrect leg posture when sitting. Some turn out the foot and pressure is on the side. In this case, the deformity of the little finger on the leg occurs and a lump( build-up) appears in the pressure site. When treating this pathology, you need to radically change the position of the seat, wear wide and soft shoes, special caps that hold the pinkie in the correct position.
Curvature of the thumb on the foot
Nowadays, the biggest spread, got the disease of the joints of the thumb. Bones on toes appear on the place of curvature. They often become inflamed and hurt.
There are several stages of this disease:
- Deformation of the toes is barely noticeable. There is no inflammatory process. Nothing hurts.
- Visually, the deviation of the finger in the other direction becomes noticeable. Sometimes there is soreness in the joint area.
- The finger is shifted noticeably. A pronounced bone appeared. The pain is frequent and long.
- The pain sensations do not stop, very long, the deformation of the toes is strongly pronounced.
Diseases that contribute to the curvature of the toes of the
In addition to the incorrect wearing of shoes, there are a number of factors affecting the appearance of curvature of the toes. These are serious diseases such as diabetes, psoriasis, mechanical damage to the fingers or feet, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis. As a result of foot injuries, reflex degeneration may develop. The disease can also be caused by damage to the nervous system of the legs. Cerebral palsy, a hollow foot, sclerosis, Charcot-Marie's disease, can lead to pathological changes in the neuromuscular apparatus of the foot and legs.
People with genetic inheritance also tend to such deformities. If your mother has such a bone, then the risk of it arising from you is also present. But, these are all the attendant factors. The main reason for the appearance of the stone on the toes, most doctors consider uncomfortable, narrow or tight shoes. It is noticed that in the underdeveloped or warm countries, where they do not wear shoes at all, or wear wide open sandals, such a disease is completely absent.
Treatment of this disease
One general recommendation can not be given to all patients. This disease requires only an individual approach. Depending on the degree of curvature and the presence of pain syndrome, the doctor may prescribe conservative treatment or surgery.
In order to stop deformation, you are assigned to wear special shoes, insteps or foot correctors. Between the thumb and the second finger insert a special roller, which keeps the fingers in a level position and stops further bending.
Pain occurs in the inflammatory process in the joint. It must be stopped. To do this, prescribe anti-inflammatory drug therapy. Additionally, physiotherapy and massage can be prescribed. In special cases, injections of corticosteroids may be prescribed. Good effect is possessed by dysprospan, kenalog and hydrocortisone.
If the inflammation of the joint bag is associated with infection, then the doctor prescribes antibiotics and antiseptic drugs. But, all these methods will only suspend the disease. To get rid of it completely, you need surgery.
Supportive orthopedic gadgets
Nowadays, many orthopedic devices have been invented, which delay a radical solution of the problem. These are special insoles, linings, insteps, interdigital ridges, correctors. Some need to be worn throughout the day, others are worn for the night. The purpose of such devices is to keep the toes in the correct position, thus stopping the further process of curvature.
You can buy a rubber tie, which is worn for several hours. This is a wide rubber strip, which has an insert-bugorok for the arch of the foot. It is rather tight and can interfere with the normal circulation of the legs. Therefore, it can not be worn for long.
There are comfortable tires that are inserted into the shoes and interfere with the touch of the affected leg with the surface of the shoes. This temporarily facilitates the patient's condition.
In severe cases of deformation, when no means help, a person experiences constant pains and can not wear any shoes, only surgery will help. There are more than a hundred different types of operations. Basically, surgical intervention reduces to excision of the tip or the edge of the joint, removal of soft tissues and bones that interfere with the normal position of the fingers.
In severe forms of disease, screws, wire connections or plates may be placed. They perform operations in most cases under local anesthesia. The duration of such interventions is up to one hour.
Types of Operations
Consider the most common types of surgery:
- Exostectomy. The head of the metatarsal bone should be removed. This is the department of bone tissue, on which the formation of cones occurs.
- Osteotomy. During this operation, remove part of the bone or phalanx of the finger.
- Resectable plastic surgery. Cut the tip of the metatarsal bone at the junction with the phalanx of the finger. There is a metatarsophalangeal joint.
- An arthrodesis of the joint. In the course of intervention, they create conditions for the immobility of the joint.
- Operations to replace joints with artificial implants.
- Operations to restore ligaments and connective tissue around the joint of the big toe.
Prevention of the disease
To prevent the formation of deformation of the fingers on the foot, you need to abandon the model shoes and go to more convenient options. It should be shoes with a low heel, with laces, with a loose wide toe. With age, the size of the leg changes, so it is necessary to make a fitting attempt before buying. It should be remembered that by the evening the leg is trampled down and swollen, so it is better to buy shoes in the daytime. Comfort for the feet provides athletic shoes, light ballet shoes and shoes, sandals. It is advisable to choose products made from natural materials.
Women after 40 years and men after 45 years, despite the condition of the fingers, you need to insert in the shoes of the arch supports, as during this period the age-related flat feet develop.
The main thing, you can not do self-medication. Only the specialist knows how to straighten the toes correctly. At the first signs of the disease you need to go to an orthopedist or surgeon.