What are the good lenses? Reviews and advice from ophthalmologists
When we talk with an interlocutor, we first of all pay attention to his eyes. How do you feel about people who wear glasses? Yes, a tastefully selected frame transforms a person's appearance and makes the image more interesting. But many people prefer to still do without glasses. And in some cases, due to the characteristics of the profession, for example, wearing them is simply unacceptable. It is also known that with astigmatism cylindrical glasses of glasses do not always allow to correct the problem.
Convenient and modern
Many questions concerning vision problems are solved by contact lenses. Modern technologies of their manufacture made these optical devices not only effective in correcting the focus, but also very comfortable to wear. These qualities are especially appreciated by people whose profession requires good vision, however wearing glasses is very difficult. This, for example, sportsmen, stuntmen, theater and ballet actors, circus artists, as well as motorcyclists and people working with the ferry.
The offer of contact optical devices on the modern market is more than great. The main problem now is the complexity of the choice. Many of us ask ourselves the question: "What kind of lenses are good?" In order to give an answer to it, one must understand who is shown wearing this optics, and also consider the classification of these devices.
Who needs to wear a lens?
Doctors-ophthalmologists today increasingly recommend wearing contact lenses to patients who have the following problems:
- Presence of hyperopia or near-sightedness in a high degree. In these cases, these optical devices can give a person a much better quality of vision and excellent clarity.
- The patient can not carry out the correction with glasses or is not satisfied with its results.
- The presence of the effect of anisometropia, when the difference in diopters between the eyes is more than 2.5.
- The patient is diagnosed with astigmatism. If its value does not exceed 0.75 diopters, ordinary contact lenses of the spherical profile will help. In the case of astigmatism, it is more recommended to wear optical devices of a toric shape or a hard quality of execution.
If the doctor recommended wearing contact products for vision correction to the patient, the first question that arises in the latter: "What are the good lenses?" Experts say that there is no universal and ideal solution that could help every patient. Based on the individual characteristics of each person and the presence of a certain problem, the doctor selects an acceptable type of lenses.
What criteria should they meet?
For those who are interested in the question: "What kind of lenses are good?", Experts recommend that when selecting these optical devices, pay attention to the following criteria:
- Wear resistance and ability to withstand mechanical damage. Lenses that can crack from the slightest touch can damage the cornea, which is fraught with serious problems.
- Frequency of lens change. Here there is a simple and consistent rule: the more often, the better. It is believed that devices with a short life are safer - in this sense the products of planned replacement are the best.
- The price of annual wearing of lenses. As noted by experienced users of these optical elements of vision correction, the more expensive they are, the better the characteristics are. But it is worth remembering that some varieties can be very expensive only because of the brand. There is always room for a reasonable price-quality ratio.
- Gas permeability. This is a very important indicator, compliance with which helps to avoid many problems and make wearing comfortable lenses. The greater the value of the gas permeability of the device, the better. Therefore, in the question of which lenses are better for the eyes to choose, it is especially important to consider this criterion and to prefer those products that allow the cornea to breathe.
- Ease of operation. It is logical that this criterion is decisive for many people in the matter of choosing suitable lenses. But here one also needs to trust reason, not momentary impulses. Choosing ultrathin lenses, which, of course, are comfortable to wear, think about whether you can easily set them in place.
Of course, it is quite difficult for a novice user of these optical elements to decide independently which lenses are good. In this respect, it is worthwhile to trust the specialist completely.
What types of lenses are there?
Different approaches can be used to classify contact lenses. Depending on the criterion being evaluated, optical devices are divided into different types.
According to this characteristic, the lenses can be stiff and soft. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Let's take a closer look at both types of contact products for vision correction.
Rigid contact correction devices are pioneers in their environment. Previously, they were made of glass or polymethyl methacrylate, they did not let in air, needed boiling and special care products. But, fortunately, modern rigid silicone-based lenses are gas permeable and have a lot of advantages:
- They are dense, well-shaped, do not deform when blinking and give a stable image clarity.
- More convenient to use for the elderly.
- Have high strength and durability.
- Resistant to protein deposits from the lacrimal environment, which lengthens the period of their comfortable and safe operation.
- Their diameter is smaller than that of soft lenses and the cornea. This gives free access to oxygen and does not interfere with normal tearing.
- Do not contain water, do not dry on the heat and in the wind, do not need to be moistened with special drops.
- Have a long service life, which is economical. The need to replace hard lenses arises only when the quality of view of the user changes.
What is their uniqueness?
In certain situations only optical devices of this type are able to correct vision. With severe astigmatism, keratoconus, presbyopia and orthokeratological correction, it is hard contact lenses that are optimal. Which are the best to choose? An answer to this question can be given unequivocally by an ophthalmologist, based on the individual needs of the patient.
There are some disadvantages to hard lenses:
- Need adaptation period. They need to get used to - it takes up to a week.
- When they are used, the shape of the cornea changes, and the spectacle correction ceases to function.
- The choice of a rigid lens on a silicone base, ideally suited for size, is a laborious and expensive process.
However, manufacturers of this type of optical devices continuously improve their quality and try to make them as comfortable as possible for wearing. If you are thinking about the question of which are better lenses for the eyes with astigmatism, then surely it is about hard ones.
The special feature of these vision correction devices is their special flexibility, which they owe a high water content. Soft lenses are very comfortable to wear and let in oxygen. They are mainly made of silicone hydrogel or hydrogel. The latter substance is able to dry out and deform. In conjunction with silicone, it promotes the best transport of oxygen, and moisture evaporates less intensively. The combination of the positive qualities of these vision-correcting devices makes them popular, and many prefer soft contact lenses. Which are better to choose from the huge variety of the profile products presented, only an experienced specialist can advise after a series of studies of the patient's eyes.
Whether soft lenses will suit everyone?
Consultation of the oculist is important for several reasons. First, only a specialist is able to determine the degree of curvature of the patient's cornea and give a recommendation on which soft lenses are best suited for a particular case. Secondly, the use of these devices has a number of contraindications: diabetes, sinusitis, tuberculosis. Also, soft lenses can not be used for people who are constantly in contact with dust and chemicals, are allergic to silicone and hydrogel, are often ill with eye infections and do not have the ability to fully care for vision corrective products.
The structure of soft lenses is such that they perfectly fit with their back surface to the surface of the cornea, and the front part of them has the shape of a cylinder, which produces a corrective effect. Therefore, with a pronounced astigmatism, this type of products can not be used.
When asked: "What are the best lenses?" Most users respond that they are soft. This is justified by their clear advantages:
- There is no need for adaptation, it is comfortable already on the first day of using these products.
- Acceptability for round-the-clock use for a period of 30 days.
- The patient himself can choose the frequency of lens replacement - every day, every two weeks, every month, every six months or more.
But soft lenses are not without flaws:
- Great inconvenience for people with astigmatism( sliding of the lens).
- Significant degree of adsorption of particles from the air and from the surface of the hands.
- May lose moisture in the eyes with wind and heat, causing dry eye syndrome.
- They need to be constantly moistened. When drying on the surface of the lens is formed the smallest cracks, and they become unsuitable for use.
- Requires thorough care and cleaning from organic and inorganic raids.
Obviously, each type of lens has its advantages and disadvantages. The question of which lenses is better to choose is determined by strictly medical indications.
Continuous wearing time
For this indicator, the lenses are divided into the following types:
- For daily use( up to 18 hours of continuous use).
- Variable application( 1-2 days of wearing).
- Prolonged use( from a week to a month).
As for which lenses are best to choose, it is a question of the patient's own needs and comfort. There are special corrective products with a curative effect, which are intended solely for night wearing.
Based on the frequency of replacement of a pair of
lenses Based on this criterion, the vision correction devices are divided into the following types:
- For wearing the traditional type( for a period of 6-12 months).
- To use the planned type( for 1 day, for 2 weeks, for 1 and 3 months).
If you ask the opinion of users of a variety of optical products to correct vision about what kind of lens is better, you can hear the most diverse responses. Someone prefers traditional, others like one-day. Ideas about the best and most convenient lenses are very individual, as well as the needs of each individual person.
Beginners of subjects of vision correction should pay attention to one-day lenses. Which is better for a certain person, it is possible to solve an experienced specialist. The offer of these products today is quite large. Their peculiarity is that after one day of use they should be discarded. This option is very convenient for those who spend a lot of time on trips and can not take care of lenses. In addition, they do not have time to accumulate a plaque of organic mineral origin, they do not form ulcers on the cornea.
Since the cost of one-day lenses is high enough, it is advantageous to use them for those who wear lenses from time to time. For example, if you buy two-week items, they will have to be replaced no later than the target date, even if they were worn only once.
If you decide for yourself that you will use one-day lenses, which are better to choose from the options offered in the store? They are presented below in increasing packing prices:
- Bausch &Lomb.
- Ciba Vision.
- Johnson &Johnson.
- Cooper Vision.
This type of vision correction is very popular among the population of our country. They are easy to use, do not require special enzyme purification. To care for them, you just need to disinfect them in time and store them in a special solution. Thinking about which two-week lenses are best, do not forget that wearing them means a night break. If you use them around the clock, they are subject to replacement in 7 days. Two weeks of wearing Pure Vision 2 HD and ACUVUE Advance with Hydraclear from Johnson &Johnson Vision Care.
For a month
This type of vision correction products is worn for 30 calendar days with a break at night, so they are called "monthly lenses".What is better, the optician can advise, however it is necessary to pay attention to contact devices Maxima Si Hy Plus. They are made of silicone hydrogel, comfortable to wear, well-biocompatible, excellently pass oxygen and do not accumulate deposits of various kinds.
It is worth emphasizing once again that the guarantee of successful wearing of contact lenses is their professional selection. Given your individual characteristics and needs, the oculist will help you find exactly the one that will provide perfect vision and no discomfort when using these correction items.