How to remove the ear plug at home? Sulfur plugs in the ears - what to do?
The appearance of sulfuric cork is a common problem. For a long time, such education does not make itself felt, so many patients seek help at a later stage, complaining of a worsening of hearing. In the absence of adequate treatment, unpleasant and even dangerous complications are possible. So what to do in such cases? How to remove the ear plug at home and is it worth it? What are the reasons for the formation of such an education? What methods of treatment does modern medicine offer?
Ear plug - what is it?
Ear plug is an education that forms inside the auditory canal from substances secreted by specific glands. This structure consists of fats( including cholesterol), proteins, hyaluronic acid( this substance holds water), enzymes, dead epithelial cells of the auditory canal. In the composition there is lysozyme and immunoglobulins - these substances provide protection against infections.
The main causes of congestion in the ears
Many people are interested in the question of how to remove the ear plug at home. But it is worthwhile to understand that washing does not always ensure recovery. Sometimes, if the cause is not eliminated, the plugs can form again.
- The most common cause is improper hygiene of the ears. For example, you can push the formed sulfur even deeper into the ear canal or injure soft tissues with a hard-to-get object.
- A frequent culprit in the formation of sulfur accumulations is inflammation( common in children).Otitis and other diseases change the acidity of the medium and increase the viscosity of the secretions.
- The formation of traffic jams can also be associated with genetically determined features. For example, in some patients, sulfur is released much more, and sometimes it has a more dense consistency. Risk factors include the structure of the ear canal( in some people it may be more convoluted), the presence of a large number of hairs that prevent the discharge of secretions.
- Frequent ingress of water into the ear canal. This problem is often faced by swimmers and divers. Moisture, getting inside the ear, causes swelling of the ear plug. Such situations are dangerous, because between sulfur education and the tympanic membrane accumulates moisture, which creates ideal conditions for the rapid proliferation of pathogenic bacteria.
- The formation of stoppers is also facilitated by a long stay in the conditions of atmospheric pressure changes.
- Risk factors are age, because in the elderly the ear secret becomes more viscous, hair growth in the ear canal is activated, but with hygiene, patients often have problems.
- Work related to a stay in dusty production can also provoke the formation of a cork, because sulfur is a viscous substance to which particles of dust easily adhere.
- Risk factors include increased cholesterol levels in the blood, as this pathology increases the amount of released sulfur and activates the growth of hair in the ears.
- Some skin diseases, including dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema, can affect the skin on the outer ear and auditory passage, which complicates the excretion of sulfur.
Varieties of sulfur plugs
Similar formations can have different structure, consistency and color:
- pasty plugs have a soft consistency and yellow color;
- plasticine-like are characterized by a more dense consistency and a dark, brownish color;
- solid ear formations practically do not contain water( their color can be dark brown, sometimes even black);
- in a separate group is allocated epidermal plugs, which consist of sulfur and particles of the epidermis and have a characteristic gray color.
The doctor decides how to get an ear plug, based on information about its consistency and composition. In this case, the features of the clinical picture and diagnostic data are extremely important.
Ear plug: symptoms in adults and children
Of course, many people are interested in the features of the clinical picture. So how is the ear plug manifested? Symptoms in adults( as well as in children) do not appear immediately, because sulfur education grows gradually. Typically, violations occur if the plug completely clogs the auditory meatus. Sometimes the symptoms are due to the ingress of water into the ear, because the sulfur deposits swell from the moisture.
First of all, there is a significant decrease in hearing, sometimes down to its complete loss. Many patients complain of a periodic noise in the ear, a constant feeling of stuffiness. Sometimes a person begins to listen to the echo of his own voice when talking. Perhaps the sensation of having a foreign body in the ear - small children often try to get something out.
In the event that the cork presses on the tympanic membrane, other disorders appear. To the list of symptoms can be attributed frequent yawning, dizziness, migraine. Some patients complain of nausea that occurs during a trip in the transport. Ear plugs can cause cardiovascular damage. The list of symptoms can be replenished with coughing attacks and impaired coordination. This is due to pressure on the nerve endings.
Having found out signs of an ear plug, it is necessary to address to the otolaryngologist. Confirm the availability of education is simple enough - it will be sufficient to standard otoscopy. The doctor examines the ear with a special metal funnel and light device. If there is a need to examine the auditory meatus without removing the sulfur plug, then a button probe is used.
Additional studies are carried out only if you need to find out the cause of the formation of traffic jams.
How to clean the ears from sulfur plugs? You will be told about it by your doctor. In most cases, patients are recommended to "wash out" sulfur deposits. The procedure does not take too long, it is painless, but still not very pleasant.
The patient sits on a chair, turning the affected ear to the doctor. The patient's shoulder is covered with a protective film, after which they put a special tray on it. For washing, a warm sterile solution is used. The procedure is carried out using a large syringe without a needle. By injecting the tip of the syringe, the doctor gently injects the solution along the upper wall of the ear canal - the sulfur comes out together with the rinse aid.
Ear drops and their features
In some cases, it is not possible to wash the ear out of the ear - first you need to soften the sulfur deposits. In such cases, special drops from sulfuric plugs are used.
- Remov-Vaks, which is available in the form of a solution, is considered to be quite effective. In its composition, there is allantoin, which helps dilute and wash out sulfur from the ear canal. By the way, the drug is widely used to prevent the formation of congestion in the ears.
- Another good medicine is considered to be A-Cerumene drops. This drug actively dissolves sulfur accumulations, while maintaining the volume of the ear plug, preventing its swelling and increase.
- For washing and softening of sulfur formations, "Klin-Irs" drops are used, which contain olive oil.
- Peroxide is widely used. The solution helps to get rid of the ear plugs, but only if the sulfur education is small and the patient does not suffer from dermatitis and other skin diseases.
You can not use these drugs alone. Softening of the ear plugs is a serious procedure and only the doctor can choose the right medicine.
"Dry" removal of the plug
Not all possible washing of the plug. For example, with perforated otitis, the use of drops and solutions is contraindicated, since liquid through the damaged eardrum can enter other parts of the auditory analyzer, which can lead to dangerous consequences, up to complete deafness. In such a situation, the doctor can carefully remove the sulfuric formation with a special probe.
Gray ear plugs: how to remove yourself?
It's not always possible to immediately consult a doctor. What should I do if you have gray plugs in your ears? How can I delete such clusters myself? To begin with it is worth saying that it is not always worth trying to do something at home. This procedure is possible only if there is no fever and earaches and it is an adult.
A few days before the procedure, it is worth starting to soften the cork using a solution of hydrogen peroxide or special drops. To rinse your ear you will need a syringe from Janet( you can use a normal 20 ml syringe).You can use boiled water, but it is better to get a sterile saline solution or a solution of furacilin in the pharmacy.
The auricle should be pulled up and back - so you can straighten the auditory meatus. The liquid stream should be directed to the upper wall of the ear canal. Carefully ensure that the flow is not too strong. Remember that the procedure should not be accompanied by pain, if discomfort still appears, then you need to stop immediately. At one time, the effect will not be achieved, but after several approaches to wash the plug is real.
If such manipulations do not work, then it's better to see a doctor.
Possible complications of
In most cases, the problem is well treatable. But if you are interested in the question of how to remove the ear plug at home, you should understand that improper leaching is fraught with dangerous consequences. Unintentionally performed manipulation can lead to damage to the integrity of the ear canal or perforation of the tympanic membrane. Other complications include deafness and inflammation. Because of the reflex effects, it is possible to develop tachycardia and other cardiac rhythm disturbances right up to a complete cardiac arrest.
Complications are possible even after correct removal of sulfur plug. For example, some patients develop chronic otitis of the external auditory canal, stenosis of the external canal, inflammatory processes in other parts of the auditory analyzer. Some people complain of pain, itching and burning, which often spread to the area of the head, neck and shoulders.
Separately it is worth mentioning the reflex effects, in which there is a disruption in the operation of distant organ systems. To their list include chronic migraines, constipation, abdominal pain, heartburn, arrhythmias. According to statistics, such complications are rarely recorded. Nevertheless, if any worsening occurs, you should contact a specialist.
Effective preventive measures
Sometimes it is much easier to prevent the development of ailment than to then be interested in the question of how to remove the ear plug at home. The best prevention is proper hygiene. Ear cartilage can be washed daily with warm water, gently after soaking the outer aperture of the ear canal with a cotton swab. But to clean your ears more thoroughly is recommended not more than 1-2 times a week. To this end, experts recommend using special cotton buds with a stop, moving them not up and down, but in a circle.
Workers in dusty industries are recommended to protect their ears. If you are at risk( you are in high humidity, working among dust, often have to talk on the phone and use headphones), then periodically you need to use ear drops "A-Cerumen" for prevention.