Pain in the temples and in the nape: causes and treatment
One of the most popular complaints about taking a doctor is a headache. It can be either a symptom of a disease or a result of normal overwork. It is very important to take into account the place and type of pain. Let's look at the pains in the temples and in the nape, why they arise and how to treat them.
What is pain?
If you describe this feeling, it is primarily an uncomfortable sensation, which is characterized by reflex changes in the functions of internal organs. It is associated with real or potential tissue damage, accompanied by emotional experiences. Pain can be caused by activation of the peripheral nervous system or as a consequence of damage to the brain or spinal cord, peripheral nerves. If the pain persists for a long time, it is characterized by changes in physiological parameters. What are the pains in the temples and back of the head? What is the reason for this?
Features and types of pain
Pain can be:
- Primary character.
Migraine, pain from overwork, headache, in which the brain is not damaged, refers to the primary. To secondary refers to pain, which is a symptom of any disease. For example, pain after head trauma, due to vascular disease, infectious diseases of the nose, throat, ears and so on.
It is worth paying attention to the intensity of pain in the temples and in the neck, its duration.
- Pain, which occurs periodically or is chronic, most often can not be a signal of dangerous infections. This is a sign of chronic diseases.
- The rapidly increasing pain, which arose unexpectedly and is very strong, is likely a sign of a dangerous disease. Possible meningitis, swelling or hemorrhage and so on.
Also, the pain can be:
- With burning sensation.
- Constant or periodic.
Depending on what type of pain, the nature of its manifestation, the doctor prescribes an examination.
If you often have a headache in the temples and the back of your neck, you need to consult a therapist or neurologist. Upon examination, the doctor will determine the nature and duration of pain. The following examinations can be prescribed to find out the cause:
- X-ray computed tomography of the brain. Examines the cranial cavity for deviations from the norm in development, circulatory disorders, new formations.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and spine. Examines not only the brain, but also the dorsal for the presence of tumors, foci after a stroke, trauma, hernia and much more.
- Magnetic resonance angiography. Examination, which assesses the condition of blood vessels, veins, arteries, detects changes in the aneurysm.
- Blood pressure monitoring. With the help of this study, latent arterial hypertension is revealed, which can provoke pain in the temples and occiput.
- Blood tests are taken to detect infection or inflammation.
- It is necessary to undergo an examination with an oculist, an otolaryngologist, a dentist. Perhaps the cause of pain is due to illness of the ears, eyes or teeth due to the existing chronic infection.
Causes of pain
Why does the pain in the temples and occiput? The causes can be caused by:
- Vascular diseases.
- Psychogenic factors.
- Neuralgic disorders.
- Liquorodynamic changes.
- Intoxication of the body.
The intensity and the place of the occurrence of pain, as well as its duration, will be of great importance. Consider some types and causes of pain.
If suddenly there is severe pain in the nape and temples - this is a very dangerous symptom. It is urgent to consult a doctor. This may be a sign of such conditions:
- of meningitis;
- development of sepsis;
- cervical migraine.
The accompanying symptoms should be closely monitored:
- by dizziness;
- temperature increase;
- with vomiting;
- with sand in the eyes;
- increased blood pressure.
Very often, severe pain can be a symptom of a hypertensive crisis.
If the neck hurts and gives back to whiskey, this does not exclude problems with cervical vertebrae or neuralgia of the occipital nerve. Due to inflammation of the nerves, the symptoms listed above are possible. Occurs as a result of hypothermia. The dull pain persists for a long time between attacks of severe pain. The occiput area becomes very sensitive.
Be cautious, pain in the temples can cause hearing loss or vision, behavioral changes, development of depression.
Vascular and infectious diseases
One of the most common diseases is migraine. It is characterized by the development of pulsating pain on the one hand, as well as such symptoms:
- sound sensitivity.
Pain can appear for no reason and just as suddenly pass.
Hypertension - one of the diseases in which the headache in the temples and occiput. Particularly pronounced at high pressure. Characteristic pressing pain is pulsating, and also:
- is a reel;
Infectious diseases include not only meningitis, but also acute viral infections and dental diseases. Blood thickens, it is difficult to supply the brain with oxygen. The formed gums flux on the left side can easily cause pain in the left temple and occiput.
Psychogenic and neurological causes of
Inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, as a rule, is characterized by pain, which is localized from one side, but can give to the occipital region.
Neurological diseases are characterized by sharp pain in the occiput and temples alternating with blunt pain.
It should be noted that diseases of the vascular nervous system, disorders in the cervical spine, atherosclerosis are aggravated with nervous and physical overstrain. Often, pressing pain in the back of the head and temples worries children at the end of the school year. Since the body is weakened and there is a lack of strength for the active work of the brain vessels. Vascular pathology can also contribute to this, but this condition is typical for adults. When overexertion there is a feeling of pressure on the nape, temporal region, possibly tingling. The pain is moderate, with no vomiting, nausea, or chills. Pressure indicators remain within normal limits.
Very often throbbing pain in the temples and occiput may be a symptom of hormonal changes in the body. It can be in pregnant women, teenagers, women.
It can also be the first symptom of an organism's intoxication. Since many dyes and preservatives are now being added to food and medicines. The well-known fact that the use of chocolate and cocoa can also provoke a migraine attack, a headache.
First of all, it is worth noting that if you are worried about pain in the temples and occiput, you can establish the reasons for this condition only together with your doctor. Do not self-medicate. It is necessary to undergo a complete examination for effective treatment.
However, there are a few recommendations that must be made if there are pains in the temples and in the neck:
- Try to relax, take a comfortable position.
- It's better to retire in a dark room. Rest your eyes.
- If possible, leave for fresh air, especially if you have been indoors for a long time.
- It is allowed to use a cold compress on the forehead and whiskey area.
- Drink mint tea or with chamomile.
- Make an easy head massage in the temporal region.
- Take a drug that will anesthetize or relieve spasm, for example, "Nurofen", "Ibuprofen", "Tempalgin."
If the pain does not pass, then a doctor should be called.
For pain caused by osteochondrosis, the following are shown for treatment:
- Therapeutic exercises after the removal of pain symptoms.
There are also folk methods of treating headaches. Here are some of them:
- It is recommended to make a compress on the back of the cabbage leaf, before that the sheet must be crushed.
- You can make a compress from grated horseradish or onions.
- With a headache, it is recommended to drink tea from the collection of herbs, which includes peppermint, lime, and tavolga vyazolistnaya.
- Vigorously rub your palms and attach one to the nape, and the other on the forehead for a few minutes.
- You can cut along the aloe leaf and attach to the temples for 30 minutes.
- Very popular are the berries of the viburnum. They are ground with honey and taken 4 times a day on a tablespoon.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per liter of cold water. Dampen the cloth and attach to the forehead.
- It is useful to drink tea from hips, chamomile and honey.
To prevent headaches, you should observe a few simple rules:
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, do not overcool, walk outdoors daily.
- If you work at a computer, every hour to do a 15-minute break. The screen should be located at eye level, it is necessary to choose the height of the chair.
- If you are hypertensive, monitor blood pressure regularly, take medications, visit a doctor.
- Avoid conflict situations, learn to cope with stress, and also relax.
- Sleeping on an orthopedic pillow and a mattress, this will help to properly relax the spine.
- Keep food fresh and fresh.
If you have a headache in the temples and the back of your head, do not leave it without attention. In due time it is necessary to go to the doctor to find out the reason and undergo treatment.