Sweat smells ammonia: the causes and ways to neutralize the smell
Why does sweat smell ammonia? The reasons for this unpleasant phenomenon will be indicated below. Also we will tell you how to get rid of this smell.
Basic information of
Before you tell us why sweat smells of ammonia after training, you should tell us what this phenomenon is all about.
The allocation of sweat is a completely natural biochemical process for the human body. Together with this liquid, harmful slags and toxins are discharged from the body. Also thanks to sweat in the body, heat exchange functions are provided. In addition, sweating normalizes the water balance and metabolism in the human body.
According to experts, the release of this fluid significantly increases with physical activity( including after training), stressful conditions, being in hot and stuffy rooms or outdoors in the summer, under the sun. In this case, even in a calm state, about 1 liter of sweat per day leaves the human body.
If your sweat smells of ammonia, then this must attract attention. However, it should be noted that not always this phenomenon indicates the presence of pathology. After all, the smell of human sweat can change throughout life. The reasons for such changes can be completely different factors( for example, a certain way of life, diet, abuse of harmful habits, etc.).
Why does sweat smell ammonia? The answer to this question can be given only by experienced specialists. By the way, they argue that such emissions often have other smells, including fish, sour, putrid and even honey.
If your sweat smells of ammonia, it means that its composition is different from normal. This can be caused by several reasons, which we will tell you just below.
According to specialists, normally the sweat of a person contains the following substances: water( about 90%), urea, sodium chloride, ammonia, ascorbic acid, lactic and citric acid.
In a healthy person who follows all the rules of personal hygiene, such emissions do not have an unpleasant odor. If the sweat smells of ammonia or has some other sharp and specific flavor, then you should immediately contact a doctor. In this case, the doctor must appoint a medical examination in order to exclude the development of serious diseases.
Sweat smells of ammonia after training: the causes of the unpleasant phenomenon
If the sweat secretions have acquired a sharp ammonia smell, then one can hardly get by with the increased hygiene. After all, very often this state indicates a failure in the operation of internal systems or organs. To identify the exact cause of such a pathology, you should consult a specialist.
Consider the main reasons why sweat smells of ammonia, right now.
Development of diabetes mellitus
It is not a secret for anyone that with the abovementioned disease the blood glucose level is significantly increased. This pathological condition often leads to malfunctions in the internal glands.
If your sweat has a pronounced smell of ammonia, and is also released in large quantities and is accompanied by drying out of the oral mucosa and weight gain, you should definitely visit a doctor and take a blood test to determine the level of sugar in it. By the way, a special diet and proper nutrition can successfully cope with a similar problem.
Why does sweat smell ammonia in women and men? If the thyroid gland of a person does not function correctly, then in its body there may be a shortage or, on the contrary, an excess of iodine. Thus there is a huge quantity of unpleasant symptoms, among which the smell of ammonia from sweat is especially prominent. The primary task in the occurrence of such a problem is the consultation of an experienced endocrinologist.
Diseases of the respiratory system
Often, this phenomenon indicates the development of tuberculosis or chronic bronchitis. If your sweat has a smell of ammonia and is accompanied by a strong cough, fast fatigue, weakness in the body and fever, then most likely the cause of it is precisely these diseases. To avoid serious complications, you should contact the phthisiatrist.
Other causes of
Why does sweat smell ammonia after training? Such an unpleasant phenomenon can be due to the lack of vitamin B and D in the human body. Disturbances of the nervous system, including neuroses and vegetovascular dystonia, can also contribute to this condition.
The smell of sweat often changes with nervous overloads( for example, in conflicts, frequent stressful conditions and experiences), as well as with insomnia and other sleep disorders.
One can not help saying that the condition under consideration can appear against the backdrop of the development of mastopathy. The doctor and mammologist are engaged in treatment and diagnostics of this disease.
Another fairly common reason for the ammonia smell of perspiration is the constant consumption of acute and acidic foods.
If the odor of ammonia in sweat has been caused by a particular disease, then the root cause should be treated for its elimination. If the person is completely healthy, then with an unpleasant odor from the body, you only need to pay special attention to personal hygiene. After all, it is the uncleanliness that provokes the active growth of bacteria, which, in fact, cause this terrible odor.
So, the ammonia smell of sweat can be eliminated by the following measures:
- Take a shower or bath every day. In the winter, it is necessary to do it once a day, and in hot and warm months - at least three times. Also it should be noted that those who are passionate about active sports should shower after each training session. In this case, areas of increased sweating( eg, inguinal area, axillary cavities, etc.) should be washed very carefully using a high-quality and fragrant soap( for example, with antibacterial effect).By the way, the choice of shampoos and other means should be approached with special care. After all, many of them contain ingredients that overdry the skin, making it vulnerable to pathogenic bacteria. Therefore, experts recommend using only natural remedies based on herbs or other natural elements.
- After taking a shower or bath, areas of increased sweating should always be treated with special means( eg, deodorant or antiperspirant).They must be qualitative and hypoallergenic.
- A person's clothing should be sewn only from quality fabrics( for example, cotton or linen).This is due to the fact that only such materials are able to ensure normal ventilation of the skin, as well as to prevent excessive sweating and allow already separated moisture to evaporate faster from the surface of the body. With excessive sweating, including with the ammonia odor of sweat, wearing synthetic clothing is strictly prohibited.
- If your clothing is soaked with perspiration, you should not walk too long in it, as the over-moistened tissue is a favorable breeding ground for various bacteria. At the first opportunity, change the soaked shirt to a dry and clean one.
- In summer, only open shoes should be worn. If you can not do without closed shoes, then it is recommended to put on thin socks, so that your feet will sweat a little less.
- To eliminate the ammonia odor of sweat, the intake of sour, sharp and fatty foods should be reduced. It is also necessary to drink less alcoholic beverages.
- As much as possible, give time to physical exercises, because regular exercise can get rid of excess weight, improve metabolism and accelerate the removal of toxins from the body.
- In some cases, to eliminate the ammonia odor of perspiration, experts recommend that patients take medicines that contain zinc and aluminum. According to their statements, such elements prevent the multiplication of harmful microorganisms, reducing the sharp smell of ammonia from sweat.
One can not help saying that some folk recipes also successfully help get rid of the problem in question. For example, very many people take baths with the addition of sage broth, pine or eucalyptus oils, oak bark, potassium permanganate or salt.