The drug "Bactrim": instructions for use for children. Suspension: description, composition and reviews
In what dose and for what purpose the drug "Bactrim" is prescribed? Instructions for use, price, feedback on the effectiveness of this tool will be presented below. Also you will learn about the states under which the medicine can not be used, whether it can be given to children, etc.
Form, package and composition of the medicine
You can buy this medication in different forms:
- Bactrim syrup( suspension).Instruction for use reports that the active substances of this agent are trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. Also, the oral suspension contains additional components such as methyl parahydroxybenzoate, dispersible cellulose, polysorbate 80, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, sorbitol, purified water, vanilla and banana flavors. In the sale of transparent syrup comes in jars, which are placed in a cardboard box with a measuring spoon.
- Tablets "Bactrim".Reviews of Bactrim say that its active substances are also trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. As additional ingredients, sodium docusate, sodium glycollate starch, magnesium stearate and povidone are used. Obtain oblong white tablets can be in contour packs placed in cardboard packs.
Pharmacological features of
How does the drug "Bactrim" work? The instruction for the use of the suspension and tablets reports that this is a combined bactericidal agent that exhibits a synergistic effect.
The mechanism of action of an active substance, such as trimethoprim, is to block 2 enzymes that boost in bacteria at the stage of folinic acid replication. In combination with sulfamethoxazole, the antibacterial effect of this component encompasses a variety of pathogenic microorganisms( hemophilic rod, streptococcus, pneumocystis pneumonia, meningococcus, morganella, staphylococcus, pathogenic fungi, gonococcus, serratus, E. coli, histoplasmosis, salmonella, plasmodia, cholera vibrio, citrobacter, klebsiella,listeria, chlamydia, pertussis, toxoplasm, enterococci of fecal, actinomycetes, brucella, enterobacter, causative agent of nocardiosis, shigella, legionellosis, Intestinal yersiniosis, tularemia, coccidioidomycosis).
Is the drug "Bactrim" absorbed? Instructions for use( for children the suspension is best suited) states that after taking the drug inside, it is absorbed rather quickly in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
In the blood, the maximum concentration of the drug is achieved in 2-4 hours. Its antibacterial activity persists for 7 hours. The connection with plasma proteins of sulfamethoxazole is 70%, and trimethoprim is 44%.
Biological transformation of basic substances( to inactive metabolites) occurs through acetylation in the liver. In the human body, the drug is distributed evenly, with penetration through the histohematetic barriers.
In the lungs and urine, the concentration of trimethoprim exceeds the plasma concentration. As for the bronchial secretion, the prostate gland, as well as saliva, bile, vaginal discharge, cerebrospinal and interstitial fluids of the middle ear, breast milk, bones and mucous eyes, the medication accumulates to a lesser extent in them.
In both active substances, the elimination rate is the same. The half-life period depends on the age:
- children up to a year - 7 hours;
- children 1-10 years - 6 hours;
- adults - 11 hours.
In case of impaired renal function, as well as in old age, the half-life of the drug is increased.
Drug is withdrawn through the kidneys( up to 70% trimethoprim and up to 30% sulfamethoxazole).
Indications for use
Why is the preparation "Bactrim" necessary? Instruction for use( for children the suspension is the best option) indicates the following indications:
- Respiratory system: croupous pneumonia, bronchiectatic disease, bronchopneumonia, pneumocystic pneumonia, acute or chronic bronchitis.
- ENT organs: scarlet fever, sinusitis, otitis media, tonsillitis, laryngitis.
- Genitourinary system: soft chancroid, urethritis, prostatitis, pyelitis, venereal lymphogranuloma, cystitis, epididymitis, pyelonephritis, gonorrhea, inguinal granuloma.
- Digestive system: cholecystitis, paratyphoid, gastroenteritis, typhoid fever, cholera, cholangitis, dysentery, salmonellae.
- Skin: acne, furunculosis, infection of wounds, pyoderma.
- Other: acute brucellosis, acute or chronic osteomyelitis, malaria, osteoarticular infectious diseases, toxoplasmosis( as a complex therapy), South American blastomycosis.
Contraindications to the use of
What are the contraindications for the drug "Bactrim"?Instructions for use( for children, the suspension is purchased only on the advice of a physician) reports the following prohibitions:
- hypersensitivity to the major components of the drug;
- failure of liver function;
- age is up to three months;
- anemia is aplastic;
- kidney failure;
- B12-deficiency anemia;
- the period of breastfeeding;
- deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase;
- gestation period;
- children's hyperbilirubinemia.
Cautionary prescription of medicinal preparation
With special care this medication is prescribed with:
- pathology of the thyroid gland;
- bronchial asthma;
- deficiency of folic acid.
Preparation "Bactrim"( suspension): instruction for use on children
Reviews about this medication will be described below.
The dosage for children should be selected only by an experienced specialist. To use the required amount of suspension use a measuring spoon( 5 ml), included in the kit.
From the age of 12, the dose of the drug "Bactrim" should be 20 ml twice a day( morning and evening).If long-term therapy is required, doctors recommend taking the drug 10 ml each morning and the same evening. For diseases that occur in severe form, you can take an evening and morning dose of 30 ml.
How long for acute infections does the drug for children "Bactrim" use? Instructions for use( a description of the drug was presented above) reports that for such diseases the duration of therapy should be at least five days or until all symptoms disappear completely.
Treatment of children without signs of improvement in their condition is the reason for contacting the pediatrician to adjust the dose.
With such a disease as soft chancre, this medication is prescribed 20 ml twice a day. If there are no signs of healing after the lapse of 7 days, then the therapy can be extended for another week. In this case, it must be taken into account that the inefficiency of the drug may be associated with the emergence of resistance of the pathogen.
How to treat uncomplicated acute urinary tract infections? What does the instruction for use say?"Bactrim"( syrup), reviews of which are ambiguous, appoint once a day in the amount of 40-60 ml. Take the suspension preferably at bedtime.
To prevent pneumonia, children from 12 years of age are given 20 ml of drug per day.
Dosage of the drug for young children
Newborn babies 3-5 months are shown the evening and morning intake of 2.5 ml of syrup. Starting from 6 months and up to 5 years, children are prescribed 5 ml of the drug, and from 6 to 12 years - 10 ml. With severe infection, the indicated dosage can be increased by one and a half times.
Side effects of
What side effects can the drug "Bactrim" cause? Instructions for use( for children the suspension - although the optimal choice, but still assigned only on indications) indicates the following undesirable phenomena:
- leukopenia, neutropenia, agranulocytosis, megaloblastic anemia, thrombocytopenia;
- diarrhea, decreased appetite, nausea, gastritis, glossitis, abdominal pain, hepatitis, stomatitis, hepatonecrosis, cholestasis, increased liver transaminase activity, pseudomembranous enterocolitis;
- tremor, apathy, headaches, depression, dizziness, aseptic meningitis, peripheral neuritis;
- polyuria, interstitial nephritis, hematuria, renal impairment, hypercreatininaemia, crystalluria, toxic nephropathy, increased urea levels;
- lung infiltrates, bronchospasm;
- pruritus, photosensitivity, exfoliative dermatitis, angioedema, rash, epidermal toxic necrolysis, exudative erythema multiforme, fever, hypertension sclera, allergic myocarditis;
- arthralgia, myalgia;
If skin rash or other serious adverse reactions occur, treatment with this drug should be discontinued.
The duration of Bactrim therapy should be minimal, otherwise the number of blood cells in the blood should be monitored.
With folic acid deficiency, kidney deficiency, and also in old age, the hematologic changes that characterize the lack of folic acid in the human body can be noted while taking the medication in question.
To prevent crystalluria, the patient must provide sufficient fluid volume, as well as monitor adequate diuresis.
Reviews of "Bactrim" for children
Patients who took the drug in the form of suspension and tablets, speak about it ambiguously. For some people this medicine seemed highly effective and became an excellent assistant in the fight against various diseases, and for others it caused only side effects.
Experts explain such ambiguous reviews by the fact that "Bactrim" really has many contraindications, as well as a large list of undesirable reactions. In this regard, his appointment is only useful if other methods of treatment to the patient do not help.
Reviews about this syrup are also varied. They do not provide an opportunity to form a definite opinion on its safety and effectiveness.
According to the reports of the parents, this medication should be prescribed only by the pediatrician and only after a thorough medical examination. Only in this case the treatment will be effective and relatively safe for the child.