Psychogenic dizziness: symptoms, treatment
Many faced with such a condition as dizziness. This complaint is often heard at a therapist and neurologist. With dizziness, everything begins to swim before your eyes and whirl, a person loses orientation in space. This can occur for various reasons, or may be a symptom of a disease. Let's talk about what psychogenic dizziness is. Symptoms and treatment will also be considered.
What is this pathology
Let's start with the definition of dizziness. This state is called vertigo. The feeling of involuntary rotation or motion of one's own body in space or objects relative to one's body is considered to be dizziness. Thus the person loses stability, balance, there is a feeling, as though the ground leaves from under legs.
Vertigo is classified into the following groups:
- Central. The reason is in a brain disease or trauma.
- Peripheral. The cause is a lesion of the vestibular nerve or inner ear.
- System. The cause of the violation in the work, any of the systems: visual, vestibular, muscular.
- Not system. The causes are neurogenic in nature.
Psychogenic dizziness should be attributed to the fourth group. Appears as a result of mental and neurotic disorders. Especially it is observed in the period of strong excitement or after it. Synonym in medicine is considered to be "phobically postural dizziness", that is, depending on the vertical position of the body.
Features of the pathology of
Psychogenic dizziness has its own characteristics:
- Has no system.
- It is possible to display random and incorrect deviations within a few seconds.
- Sensation of stability failure for 2-3 seconds.
- Occurs unexpectedly, but there may be triggering factors.
- All complaints are related to dizziness that occurs while walking or standing.
- Can be combined with other types of disorders. Psychogenic dizziness will be secondary.
- There are no clinical and paraclinic signs of organic pathology.
- Anxiety or anxiety-depressive conditions accompany dizziness, but these factors may be absent.
Causes of psychogenic dizziness
As a rule, a high probability of psychogenic dizziness is observed in people predisposed to panic attacks. Most of all, this is the inclination of a woman. Also, a sense of fear, anxious fears can be attributed to the causes of such dizziness.
Let's highlight a few more reasons:
- Stressful situations.
- Overwork at work. Lack of sleep, insomnia. Excessive mental stress.
- Sharp position change.
- Climate change.
- Syndrome of hyperventilation.
- High blood pressure.
- Menopause in women.
- Sleighing in transport, when riding on a swing.
- Height intolerance.
As a rule, all these situations are associated with anxiety or anxiety. And also obvious is the fear of losing control of the body, falling and possibly getting injured.
Signs and symptoms of the pathology of
Dizziness of psychogenic character at the developmental stage have several signs:
- Functionality decreases, fatigue increases.
- The mood worsens, irritability increases.
- Appetite either disappears or rises sharply.
- Sexual activity may decrease or rise sharply. Whoever had psychogenic dizziness, the symptoms are described by the patients as follows:
- There is a noise in the ears, and the hearing is not lost.
- The fog in the head.
- A sense of instability appears, but it does not affect the gait.
- Attention is completely focused on noise and dizziness.
- Elevated anxiety is observed.
- There is a shortage of air.
- Cold sweat.
- Thinking unclear, confused.
These symptoms are also typical for panic attacks. Still it is possible to add some characteristic symptoms:
- Rapid palpitations.
- Possible trembling of limbs, chills.
- "Shivers" on the body.
- Irrational fear of impending adversity.
- "Wadded" feet.
Such a state can also evoke memories of a traumatic situation.
Psychogenic dizziness is not caused by vestibular dysfunction, although the symptoms are very similar.
It should be noted that the psychogenic manifestations of these disorders can only be called if the patient recognizes the relationship to the cause.
False symptoms of psychogenic dizziness
There are symptoms that patients mistakenly confuse with dizziness.
Here are some of them:
- Flickering of objects in the eyes.
- Doubling in the eyes.
- The appearance of the "grid" in front of the eyes.
- Appearance of nausea.
- Pre-smart state.
- Sense of instability.
- Feeling of "emptiness" in the head.
Diagnosis of the disease
With the question of how to treat psychogenic dizziness, it is necessary to consult a therapist who will then direct to the narrow specialists:
- To the otorhinolaryngologist.
To determine the reasons, specialists can prescribe the following types of examination:
- Computer tomography of the brain. It allows to recognize the deviations in the structure of the brain.
- Ultrasound of large arteries and blood vessels providing blood supply to the brain.
- X-ray examination of the skull and cervical spine.
- General and biochemical blood test. Determination of the level of glucose in the blood.
- Balances are required.
- Definition of nystagmus.
At the initial stage of diagnosing psychogenic dizziness, a physician should exclude all possible causes that are associated with loss of balance.
- The defeat of the vestibular apparatus.
- Diseases in which one of the symptoms is loss of consciousness, fainting.
- Neurological diseases, which are accompanied by a violation of walking, balance.
The above surveys will help to find the true cause.
In the second stage, the diagnosis of neurotic disorders that occur as a result of the transferred stress is carried out. As we found out earlier, most often the cause is panic attacks and anxiety-depressive disorder. How to get rid of psychogenic dizziness will be considered further.
Methods of treatment of psychogenic dizziness
In a disease such as psychogenic dizziness, treatment includes non-drug and medicinal methods.
The priority is non-drug treatment. It includes:
- Gymnastic exercises to improve the vestibular apparatus.
- Breathing exercises. Helps to cope with increased vascular tone.
Treatment of psychogenic dizziness consists in changing the internal attitude towards psycho-traumatic situations in such a way that dizziness and other restless symptoms do not arise. It is very difficult psychologically, although nothing at all costs financially. The hardest part is working on yourself, over your fears and beliefs. Treatment is reduced to the normalization of the psychoemotional state.
It is also necessary to revise the patient's diet. Vitamins A and C are needed. They are found in foods, fruits and vegetables:
- Beef liver.
- Fatty dairy products.
- Fish oil.
- Germinated grains.
- Black currant.
It is necessary to observe the correct diet, which must contain all the necessary microelements and vitamins for the body. It is advisable to eat at the same time, portions are better less, but more often.
Drugs used to treat psychogenic dizziness:
- Antidepressants: "Fevarin", "Paxil".
- Anxiolytics: "Phenazepam", "Clonazepam", "Atarax".
- Neuroleptics: Tiaprid, Sulpiride.
- Nootropic drugs.
Betaserk is well proven in the treatment of such a disease as psychogenic dizziness. Reviews about this drug are only good. Patients report improvement. Go through dizziness, there is no noise in the ears. But the drug is recommended to take long courses for a persistent effect and as an additional therapy.
As we know, in priority therapy without the use of medications, including such a disease as psychogenic dizziness. Treatment with folk remedies in such cases has always been popular. Let's name some of them.
- Aromatherapy. The oil of juniper, oranges, is useful.
- Infusion of oregano. For 2 tablespoons of herbs pour 0.5 liters of boiling water. Let it brew.
- Infusion of lavender.1 tablespoon per cup of boiling water.
- Ginger tea.
- It is more common to use pomegranate.
Infusions recommend drinking half an hour before meals and throughout the day. Folk remedies do not give a quick result, so therapy should be lengthy.
How to help
If an attack of dizziness happens at home it is necessary:
- Lie down so that the head, neck and shoulders lie on the pillow.
- Exclude head turns.
- Loosen clothing pressure.
- Ensure good air access.
- A cold towel moistened with a light vinegar solution can be applied to the forehead.
If it's dizziness outside:
- You need to calm down and do not panic.
- Stay close and focus your eyes, but do not close your eyes.
- Do not move or turn your head.
- If this results in severe pain in the chest, abdomen or numb hands, feet, speech problems, it is necessary to immediately call an ambulance.
Prevention of psychogenic dizziness
In order to reduce the amount of dizziness, it is necessary not only to try to keep calm in any situations and learn to control yourself, but also to follow certain recommendations:
- Move more and charge, especially with sedentary work.
- Observe the mode of work and rest.
- Do not overwork, sleep.
- Avoid stressful situations.
- Refuse bad habits.
- Do not make sudden movements of the head and neck, and do not change the position of the body sharply.
- More rest in the fresh air.
- Restrict the use of salt, strong tea and coffee.
- Learn the tricks of relaxation.
For frequent repetitive attacks of dizziness, consult a doctor. If serious pathologies are detected in the early stages, then the therapy will be more effective. Much more often dizziness is associated with overwork and an incorrect mode of work and rest, but it is better to insure yourself and visit a specialist.