Metallic seals: service life, pros and cons, reviews
Dental problems can lead to the development of other diseases, which can be quite serious. That is why any damage, including carious, should be eliminated as soon as possible. To do this, the dentist must carefully treat the cavity with special tools, peroxide, alcohol, you may need to remove the nerve( pulp).After these manipulations, the doctor puts a seal, the kind of which depends on the problem with the teeth, as well as the patient's financial capabilities. The cheapest and affordable are metal fillings.
What material is used?
Another name for metal seals is amalgam. This is due to the material that is used to install them. Metal fillings for teeth are an alloy of mercury with a different metal( silver or copper).
Silver amalgam is an alloy in which, besides silver, there are:
- tin( slows the hardening process of the seal);
- copper( increases the strength of the alloy and ensures full contact of the seal with the walls of the tooth);
The last metal is needed to produce a plastic mixture, which will very quickly harden after installation.
Copper amalgam has the same composition, but the ratio of components is completely different. In particular, this concerns the proportions of silver and copper. In this case, the amount of copper is much larger, and tin and silver are only a small part.
First of all, metal seals are the most affordable, which means that almost any person can afford to have healthy teeth. In addition, other advantages of this material are also highlighted:
- is hard and durable, which guarantees the long-term use of such a seal, it does not need to be changed periodically, which will save your time and money;
- ease of use;
- is insensitive to moisture, so the destruction of tea lovers is not threatened.
It is also silver amalgam that can prevent the repeated development of caries.
Numerous patient reviews indicate that metal seals have negative qualities, which are much larger, and they are more significant. This opinion is shared by dentists. That is why in many countries they are no longer used at all, and in Russia you will not find specialists in Russia who will agree to put such a seal, especially in paid clinics.
The main drawbacks are, according to reviews of patients and specialists:
- poor adhesion;
- high thermal conductivity( this can cause toothache in contact with hot food);
- discoloration of the tooth, in addition, and the seal itself is radically different from the color of the enamel( that's why they are most often put on chewing teeth, aesthetic appearance that has little value);
- in the mouth there is always a taste of metal;
- the complexity of installing such a seal, as well as a long period of hardening, because of which the dentist will need to spend at least two hours;
- shrinkage of the material, as a result of which a chipped tooth may occur, and because of this, additional intervention may be required;
- in the alloy enters mercury, which adversely affects the body.
Do I need to change such seals?
In addition, despite the fact that this material is durable, it is necessary to change metal seals( their service life is 10 years) periodically, although this rule is ignored by many. Considering all the advantages and disadvantages of metal fillings for teeth, many specialists refuse to use this kind of material. Although in some cases this is allowed. In addition, many patients decide to change the metal seal because of the color change of the tooth itself. He gets unhealthy appearance and significantly spoils the smile.
In addition to the obvious advantages and advantages, it is worth considering the fact that it is not always possible to install metal fillings, even if the patient insists on it. Such contraindications are:
- sealing of the front teeth;
- presence in the oral cavity of other metal objects, otherwise the phenomenon of galvanic( galvanic current) is possible;
- Radiation therapy in the area of the jaw or whole face.
Harm to health
As mentioned earlier, metal seals cause harm to health, in some cases even more than good. This is due to the presence of mercury in the alloy, which, if ingested, poisons it, especially if there is more than one such seal in the mouth. The main symptoms of this phenomenon are:
- permanent headaches, which are practically not eliminated by medicines;
- allergic reactions( if they were not previously, then they appear, if the patient has suffered from an allergy before, it becomes more aggressive);
- functional and organic disorders in the kidneys.
In addition, until now, it has not been revealed how metal seals behave in the event of electromagnetic waves entering the zone of influence, which are very much in the modern premises, especially if there are computers and household appliances there.
It should also be noted that such a seal provides protection of the tooth from destruction only at the time of service. When it is removed, the tooth will certainly die, and it will be necessary to remove the nerve.
Such seals were widely used in the USSR.People took it for granted and did not associate numerous health problems with a metal seal. However, studies and numerous reviews prove a negative impact on the body.
Can I put metal seals pregnant?
Special damage is caused by a metal seal to an embryo, if this is the treatment for his mother, before the woman becomes pregnant. This is due to the fact that mercury has the property of penetrating the child's body through the mother's body.
Steps for installing a metal seal
The installation process is carried out in three stages:
- Removal of infected areas using a special drill. As a rule, dentin is damaged by caries, therefore, in order to prevent the spread of the infection, it must be completely or partially removed. The use of anesthesia is optional. With the increased sensitivity of the enamel of the tooth, an anesthetic injection is made in the gum.
- Extension and processing of the dental canal for subsequent sealing. At this stage, the nerve is also removed if necessary, if the hard tooth tissue is too much affected. If this is not done, the patient will feel a constant unbearable pain. The main rule of the stage is compliance with disinfection requirements. If all pathogenic bacteria are not removed, then when the cavity is closed with a seal, they will actively multiply and tear down the tooth.
- Directly sealed. It is at this stage that the doctor enters the amalgam into the dental canal. There are certain precautions that must be observed without fail, otherwise the seal will deteriorate. Within two hours after drying, it is forbidden to eat, smoke, drink any drinks, otherwise touch the tooth.
Especially metallic fillings( reviews confirm this) by the fact that they dry for 2-3 hours. In addition, the next day you will need to visit the dentist again, so that he carried out polishing the surface. This is necessary in order to not damage the oral mucosa with roughnesses on the surface of the filling. If properly installed, the patient does not feel pain.
As a rule, the dentist issues a guarantee for his work. Despite the fact that the service life of metal seals is about 10 years, the warranty period does not exceed two years. During this period, when there is any damage directly to the seal itself or when amalgam is destroyed, replacing the old seal with a new one is completely free.