Phlebitis of the lower extremities: symptoms and treatment, photo
A man spends a lot of time on his feet. Blood through the veins in the lower limbs moves from the bottom up, overcoming the force of attraction. Over time, the walls of blood vessels wear out, various inflammatory processes, an incorrect lifestyle, low physical activity and excessive consumption of fatty foods are added. All this does not pass without a trace for the vessels, varicose disease develops, which can lead to the appearance of phlebitis of the lower extremities. Symptoms and treatment of this pathology will be discussed in our article.
Description of the disease
The veins, through which the blood flows to the heart, have soft and elastic walls. If the inflammatory process of the venous shell begins to develop, it is said that the phlebitis of the lower extremities appears. This disease can be both acute and chronic. It often does not occur in isolation, and a number of factors may be provocators of this pathology, one of which is varicose veins.
Phlebitis should not be left without attention, it is obligatory to consult a phlebologist who will evaluate the condition of the vessels and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Next, we will analyze how the phlebitis of the lower extremities manifests itself, the symptoms and treatment of this disease.
Causes of development of phlebitis
The main cause of development of phlebitis is considered to be varicose veins. In addition, there are a number of other factors that can trigger the development of pathology:
- Excess weight: the veins are even more stressed.
- Low motor activity: it became a scourge of the XXI century.
- Long vertical position, for example, sellers in stores are forced to stand behind the counter all day.
- Violation of the chair, for example, constipation.
In some cases, allergic reactions can also trigger the development of the disease.
Much less often causes the development of phlebitis trauma to the vein or its defeat as a result of the development of an infectious disease.
It does not matter what the cause of the disease provoked, without treatment it can not be left to not earn serious complications.
Varieties of phlebitis
A fairly common disease is the phlebitis of the lower extremities. Symptoms and treatment of this pathology will be considered further, and now we will get acquainted with the classification. If we consider the localization of the inflammatory process, the phlebitis is divided into:
- Periflex. The inflammatory process affects only the outer vein of the vein. Most often occurs when inflammation passes from neighboring tissues.
- Endophlebitis. The inner wall of the venous vessel is affected. The cause may be trauma, catheterization of the vein, when the needle was in it for a long time. Provokes endoflebitis improper injection of intravenously hypertonic solution.
- Panflebit affects all veins of the vein.
Classification of phlebitis can be conducted taking into account the origin of the disease. Given the etiology, the following are distinguished:
- Allergic phlebitis. His provocateur is the allergic reactions of the body, and it often quite often lasts, passing into a chronic form.
- Pain phlebitis often develops on the background of labor. The course is acute with severe symptoms and severe pain.
- Migrating phlebitis appears mainly in representatives of the male half of humanity. Inflammation affects the veins, located superficially, the arteries are involved in the process. The disease lasts for a long time with periodic relapses.
- Brain vessels in cerebral phlebitis are affected. The cause is often an infectious disease.
- Pileflebit affects only the collar vein. It appears as a complication of inflammation in the abdominal cavity.
- Infectious phlebitis can affect not only the lower limbs, but also any parts of the body.
It is important to recognize the shape of the patient's phlebitis of the lower limbs. Symptoms and treatment may differ, so without consulting a doctor, therapy should not be done. So you can further damage the body.
Symptoms of the disease
Various forms of the disease can manifest themselves as characteristic features. The most common phlebitis of the lower extremities symptoms is as follows:
- If phlebitis affects only the surface of the veins, then in the acute phase of the disease they become painful and tense. The skin in these places reddens and thickens, it becomes hot to the touch. Sometimes it can be noted an increase in body temperature.
- The chronic form of the disease does not have a pronounced pattern, the symptoms are smoothed out, there are occasional exacerbations.
- If there is an inflammatory process in the deep veins, the phlebitis of the lower limbs symptoms( the photo below shows it) shows the following: pain and swelling at the site of inflammation, the skin becomes milky white. The danger of this form of the disease is that it can quickly go into thrombophlebitis, which proceeds with the formation of thrombi.
- Cerebral phlebitis will necessarily manifest itself as headache, hypertension, neurological problems.
Diagnosis of the disease
Before treating the phlebitis of the lower extremities( the photo above shows the severity of the pathology), it is necessary to accurately diagnose and identify the form of the disease.
Most patients do not rush to see a doctor if, after a day's work, they feel heaviness in their legs, fatigue, when there is swelling and pain. The person is inclined to hope that these symptoms will pass by themselves, it is necessary to rest only. But over time, it is usually still more aggravated, even rest does not help to cope with the problem. Often this results in a serious complication, for example, thrombophlebitis.
And it was necessary only with the first problems with the venous circulation to visit a vascular surgeon, who only needs to look at the veins of the lower extremities to suspect a pathology. After the examination, the doctor usually sends to the ultrasound of blood vessels, which helps to accurately reveal the location of the pathology and its severity.
If you do a blood test, then, as a rule, it shows increased coagulability, which is already a risk factor for the development of phlebitis, and in the future also thrombophlebitis.
Methods of therapy of the disease
If the diagnosis of "phlebitis of the lower extremities" is confirmed, how to treat this disease correctly, only the doctor can tell. Whichever method of therapy the doctor chooses, one thing is important: there must be a combination of methods, that is, an integrated approach. Only in this case we can expect good results. In vascular surgeons, the following methods of therapy of this disease are common:
- Conservative treatment, which implies medical therapy, physiotherapy.
- Use of folk remedies for getting rid of an ailment.
- Surgical intervention, which is rarely practiced, especially if the patient has asked for medical help on time.
For the effectiveness of therapy it is desirable to combine the first two methods of treatment among themselves.
What are the objectives of the therapy?
Treatment of this disease has the following objectives:
- To remove the inflammatory process.
- Reduce blood clotting speed to prevent blood clots.
- Strengthen the walls of blood vessels and make them more elastic.
These goals can be achieved if you approach the problem in a comprehensive manner.
Conservative treatment of
We have already studied the phlebitis of the lower limbs, symptoms and treatment. The photo shows that the first thing the therapy starts with is taking medications.
- In the presence of an infectious disease without taking antibacterial drugs can not do. This can be either an injection or injection of tablets.
- Doctors are sure that it is required if there is phlebitis of the lower extremities, treatment. Tablets to improve the tone of the walls of blood vessels are prescribed in the first place. To such preparations it is possible to carry: "Detraleks", "Flebodia", "Escuzan" and others.
- It is mandatory to take anti-inflammatory drugs that will help to remove inflammation. Such medications can be used in the form of ointments and gels, for example, Ketonal, Fastum-gel, Movalis, Voltaren. They not only eliminate the inflammatory process, but also relieve fever and prevent swelling of the tissues.
- Specialists also prescribe to take medicines to improve the regeneration and repair of tissues, vitamin preparations. Here you can include "Wobenzym", "Actovegin", "Solkoseril."
- Admission of anticoagulants will prevent the formation of blood clots in the vessels. Perfectly with this cope "Heparin", "Fraksiparin", "Kurantil."
After such drug therapy, the phlebitis of the lower extremities is less pronounced. Symptoms and treatment( the photo below shows one of the methods) can be supplemented with physiotherapy procedures. Most often the doctor appoints the following:
- UHF or infrared radiation.
- Diadynamic currents.
If you combine physioprocedures with drug therapy, you can significantly improve the state of venous vessels.
Traditional medicine against phlebitis
In the bins of traditional healers there are recipes to cope with this ailment. Here are the tools offered for a speedy recovery:
- If phlebitis affected only the superficial wall of the veins, you can try to cope with it using an iodine grid. It helps not only to remove the inflammatory process, but also to calm the pain.
- Healing infusion will also help improve the condition of veins. To make it, you need to take 50 grams of fruits of chestnut, root of elecampane, leaves of cranberries and calendula flowers. From two spoons of collection and 0.5 liters of boiling water, prepare the infusion. Keep the remedy better in the thermos for 12 hours. Take half a cup three times a day. The course of therapy should be at least 6-7 weeks.
- You can strengthen the walls of vessels by taking an infusion of the beetroot leaves. You can use both dry leaves and fresh ones. For 1 liter of boiled water, you must take 100 grams of leaves, if it is fresh or 50 dry. Insist until it cools down completely. Eat inside after eating 150 ml for 2 months.
- It is possible to remove the inflammation by a compress made of wormwood or fern. Dry raw materials must be ground into powder and mixed with kefir or sour cream. Put the mixture on a cheesecloth or napkin and attach to a sore spot, fasten and leave overnight. This procedure should be done within 4-5 days.
The list of folk recipes can be continued indefinitely, only before using them, you should always consult your doctor.
After taking medications prescribed by a doctor, it starts not so clearly to show its burrows phlebitis of the lower extremities( symptoms).And the treatment of folk remedies in this case will be an excellent addition. Moreover, all recipes can be easily used at home.
Surgical treatment of
How to treat phlebitis of the lower limbs at home, we examined, but, unfortunately, this therapy does not always give the desired results, especially if the patient disregards the advice of specialists. In some cases, the disease easily passes into thrombophlebitis, and this is much more dangerous for health. Doctors use:
- Vein bandaging.
- Dissection of the vein at the site of the thrombus.
- Remove the inflamed portion of the vein.
Even after surgical treatment, you should not think that the disease is defeated once and for all. If you do not take care of your legs, negligently treat your own health and do not follow the recommendations of doctors, the disease will quickly return with renewed vigor.
What kind of treatment is prohibited with phlebitis?
Most patients think that if there are problems with the veins on their legs, it is enough to wear a compression knitwear. But with the phlebitis of the lower extremities, such therapy is strictly contraindicated. If there is an inflammatory process, then a free outflow of fluid from the focus of inflammation is necessary, and compression knitwear can provoke the release of fluid into the lumen of the venous vessel and accelerate the blood flow. But in the presence of streptococcal infection, this can lead to the spread of the pathogen throughout the body.
After the inflammation has been removed, which should be confirmed by analysis, you can use compression knitwear, but you should start with a minimum degree of compression.
Complications of phlebitis
If you do not properly treat phlebitis, then there is a high probability that the disease will go to thrombophlebitis. There is a danger of vein thrombosis. If the disease affects the deep veins, the acute period is fraught with the development of pulmonary embolism, and eventually with chronic venous insufficiency.
If you do not follow the doctor's advice on the treatment of phlebitis, then the risk of infectious complications in the form of phlegmon or abscess increases many times.
Prevention of the disease
The disease is easier to prevent than after a long time to deal with its treatment. As a preventive measure, the following measures can be recommended:
- Women who take birth control pills periodically take a blood test for clotting.
- Give your feet rest, while it's useful lying down, putting them on a pillow or on the back of the sofa.
- People whose professional activities are associated with constant standing on their feet are advised to wear compression stockings.
- Aspirin can be used as a diluting agent, but it should be done only with the permission of the doctor.
- More walking and time to exercise.
- Timely treatment of any infectious diseases.
- In the presence of varicose veins, follow all the doctor's recommendations.
- If phlebitis is already available, it is advisable to quit smoking.
If you carefully and carefully treat your health, you do not have to go to the doctors and treat venous diseases. Take care of yourself and be well!