Signs of migraine in women. Causes of migraine, treatment with traditional and folk remedies
About migraine attacks known since ancient times. Such a misfortune tormented famous people. And until today, with such an unpleasant state, many people are confronted. And most often there are signs of migraine in women. So, what is this pathology? What are its symptoms? And can we fight it?
What is a migraine?
Modern medicine gives a clear concept to this term. Migraine is a special paroxysmal condition of severe headache, which is systematically repeated, manifesting itself in one hemisphere of the brain. The main painful focus is fixed in the frontal part. As a result, the pain is felt in the eye and temple area.
However, the signs of migraine in women are not only unpleasant sensations. It's not just a headache, it's a disease. Therefore, it is accompanied by additional unpleasant symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting.
Pain from migraine can become worse by responding to external stimuli. Bright light and loud sounds can cause not only irritation, but also strong sensations.
Migraine attacks, as previously mentioned, are more exposed to the beautiful sex. This disease manifests itself in women of young and middle age. In adulthood, attacks of headache may appear rarely or not at all.
Migraine as a phenomenon has hereditary characteristics. Often it is transmitted through the women's line. Also, a special exchange of serotonin can be inherited, which, in turn, has an analgesic effect. In addition, the specificity of the reactions of the cerebral vessels to external factors can also be transmitted.
Although migraine is similar to a common headache, it is a neurological disease. It is important to understand what are the causes of migraine in women. Treatment will be effective if it is aimed at eliminating those sources that provoked discomfort.
Conventional headache is often provoked:
- by drugs designed to increase or lower blood pressure;
- overstrain the muscles of the neck and head;
- with osteochondrosis;
- intracranial pressure.
Migraine situation is somewhat different. Until now, all causes of pathology have not been studied. Not so long ago, the disease was perceived only as an imbalance in the work of blood vessels. This was due to the fact that during the attack, there is a significant expansion of the vessels of the membrane of the brain. This is a good reason. After all, the expansion of the blood vessels provokes pressure, resulting in a headache.
Scientists have proven that migraine is inherited, from parents to children. The percentage of inheritance of this disease is quite large - 70%.
It can also be noted that migraine symptoms are seen in women who have a disturbed metabolic function or have diseases of the nervous system.
Theory of serotonin
General theory of the development of migraine, its causes and the mechanism of pain sensations. Serotonin is a substance that causes vasoconstriction and spreads signals around the body. During the attacks there is a malfunction. The amount of serotonin increases significantly, resulting in spasms in the head.
It is also interesting that painful sensations occur precisely in that part of the head where the vessels are spasms. This theory allowed physicians to understand in more detail what signs of migraine are observed in a woman. The treatment of pathology also began to improve after such an opening.
Relation of pain sensations to the hypothalamus
Very recently, a relationship was found between the onset of headache attacks during a migraine with the brain department that is responsible for the functioning of the endocrine system, the hypothalamus. It is in it is the system responsible for the overall vascular tone. The hypothalamus emits signals about the body's reaction to external stimuli. This subsequently causes headaches.
Symptoms of migraine in women and treatment of pathology are issues that are given great importance. Therefore, having determined that during excessive activity of the hypothalamus there are unpleasant sensations, the doctors thought about creating an effective medication. After all, this discovery can contribute to the development of a drug that helps to get rid of migraines.
What causes migraine?
A large number of changes in the environment can cause an unpleasant state.
Migraines can cause:
- a strong emotional experience, stress;
- climate change, weather conditions;
- body strain;
- sharp unpleasant odors;
- bright and shimmering light;
- physical hunger;
- hormonal disorders;
- lack of sleep;
Indeed, there is a rather large list of products that can cause a migraine attack. One of them is caffeine. Abuse of a drink contributes to a violation of the harmony of the body. Also, women and wine can provoke migraine symptoms. The use of poor-quality canned products leads to a negative reaction of the vessels.
Symptoms of pathology
The disease has a rather specific feature. It does not arise suddenly. Often the symptoms of migraine in women gradually appear. Treatment of pathology, timely begun, can even prevent an attack.
Phases of pathology:
- The prodromal phase can signal the onset. It is characterized by dizziness and unpleasant sensations in the body.
- The second phase is called aura. She is a harbinger of a migraine. Every person who is systematically suffering from this disease knows what an aura is.
- Next comes the attack. They manifest themselves in the form of strong pain.
- Then comes postdromal phase, which is considered the final moment. It is accompanied by nausea.
The flow of these phases for each patient is purely individual.
Symptoms of the prodromal phase
It is characterized by mild signs, which are harbingers of migraine. Such symptoms can appear a few hours before the attack, or a couple of days before it.
It is important to pay attention to such phenomena. After all, it is much easier to stop an attack if you correctly recognize these migraine symptoms in women. Treatment in this case will not be long.
The prodromal phase may manifest itself:
- is thirsty;
- drowsiness, fatigue;
- changes in appetite( increase or decrease);
- emotional decline, depression and anxiety.
Symptoms of aura
These symptoms are not observed in all patients with migraine.
There are 2 varieties of this state:
- Positive aura. It appears as a flickering bright light. The field of propagation can greatly increase. Also, during a positive aura, visions sometimes appear in the form of asterisks or lines.
- Negative aura. Characterized by dark spots in the eyes. It can also appear as a lack of side vision.
A person experiencing signs of aura may experience mixed feelings. Each patient describes an individual unusual pattern that he observed.
There are other symptoms of migraine in women:
- memory impairment;
- speech disorder;
- unpleasant sensations in the limbs;
- distortion of space or dimensions;
- impaired functioning of consciousness.
Symptoms of acute phase
Unfortunately, modern pharmacology has not developed a single tool that can relieve an attack. Ordinary analgesics do not help. Therefore, attacks can last a long time. Sometimes they are delayed for 3 days.
Symptoms of a migraine attack:
- nausea and vomiting;
- pain of a pulsating nature;
- reaction of a headache to physical activity;
- pallor of the skin and chills;
- numbness of the face;
- sensitivity to light and sound.
Pathology can be accompanied by edema of the eyelids and runny nose. However, this happens very rarely.
Postdrome symptoms of
After the pulsating pain caused by migraine passes, the next phase begins. Often it is characterized by a feeling of foggy consciousness.
Treatment of migraine
Above, we examined in detail what are the signs of migraine in women. How to treat this pathology?
Medications to combat migraine:
- Painkillers. They are mostly sold without a prescription. Help with the first symptoms of migraine. For therapy, you can use Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Naproxen, Diclofenac.
- Triptans are one of the first drugs designed specifically to combat migraine headaches. They control the level of serotonin in the brain, which provokes the onset of seizures. They are recommended to people who are prone to severe headaches. The drugs are effective, but they have many unpleasant side effects. The best means are "Zomig", "Almotriptan", "Rizatriptan".
- Opiates. To resort to their use is recommended only in extreme cases, when other medicines do not help. The problem is that the drugs are not approved for the treatment of this disease. They have significant contraindications. Capable of causing dangerous complications. These include Oxycodone, Codeine, Morphine.
- Ergotamins are considered to be one of the most useful substances that help cope with migraine headaches. The drug is Dihydroergotamine.
- Medications used to eliminate nausea. They are used in conjunction with other drugs for headaches. Effective drugs "Metoclopramide", "Reglan".
- Drugs that stop migraine attacks: "Timolol", "Valproate sodium", "Topiramate", "Propanolol".
- Beta-brokers are used to regulate blood pressure. The following medicines are effective: Metoprolol, Lopressor, Tenormin, Nadolola, Korgard.
- Antidepressants. They are often used to treat migraines. They also help with insomnia and depression.
Regardless of what causes migraines in women, folk remedies can effectively combat pathology.
- Mix the juice of spinach and carrots, add the juice of dandelion. Take the mixture in this ratio - 1: 3: 1.Use recommended 3 times a day, one hour before meals.
- Also an excellent tincture is obtained from elderberry blossoms. For cooking, pour 1 spoonful of boiling water. Then infuse and cool the infusion. It is consumed with honey, 20 minutes before eating.
For the treatment of migraine hawthorn, mistletoe white, shepherd's bag will do. The use of folk methods is only welcome. They are great at stopping attacks.
However, do not forget that, understanding the causes of migraine in women, folk remedies and medications can prevent the occurrence of an attack. Be attentive to your health and learn to recognize those symptoms that the body warns you about ailment.