Treatment of wet cough in adults: features, methods and effective methods
Treatment for wet cough in adults goes much faster than dry cough. Together with phlegm from lungs bacteria and infection are washed out, which explains the faster recovery. How does a damp cough in an adult stop? Treatment, medications are described in this article.
Causes of a wet cough
There are many reasons that cause the appearance of a wet cough. The main ones are cold and flu. It is they who most often contribute to the occurrence of a cough with the passage of mucus.
Wet cough can be caused by sinusitis, sinusitis, rhinitis, as well as various diseases of the respiratory system. For this reason, in adults, intensive coughing occurs at night or in the morning.
In addition to the above reasons, cough with sputum can cause whooping cough, pneumonia, bronchitis in chronic form, asthma, tuberculosis, swelling in the lungs, gangrene of the lungs, suppuration of the lungs. It is for this reason that when you have this symptom, you should visit a doctor.
Cough with sputum may also be an allergic reaction to chemical or organic substances that contribute to the onset of the inflammatory process. In this case, it is very important to determine the allergen so as not to contact it. Not cured cough of an allergic nature can pass into bronchial asthma.
Wet cough is characterized by a disease like bronchitis. In the inflammatory process in the bronchi, the body tries to neutralize the infection and increases the secretion of the mucosa.
The inflammatory process of the nasal mucosa and upper respiratory organs also provokes sputum production.
Mucus can be secreted by inflammation of the trachea, pharyngitis and laryngitis. With puffiness of the lungs, a cough with sputum discharge was triggered by ingestion of blood plasma into the alveoli of the lungs. Such a condition requires observation by a specialist.
Cough with mucus discharge is observed in people with various cardiac disorders. It is also observed in smokers. In particular, they suffer seizures in the morning.
Dangerous symptoms of
Treatment of wet cough in adults should be done under the supervision of a doctor if the condition does not improve for a week, but worsens. To the list of symptoms that require immediate attention to a specialist, one can rank:
- Body temperature is 37.5-38 ºС, which holds in adults for more than a week, and in children for five days.
- Temperature rise above 38 ºС, which does not decrease for three days or more.
- Symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, asthma attack during coughing with viscous sputum.
- Changes in color and consistency of sputum, the appearance of impurities of pus and blood in it, as well as an increase in its volume.
- Deterioration of the general condition of the body, asthenia, weight loss, fever, abundant sweating.
- Cough that does not stop within an hour.
- Sharply occurring seizures.
Treatment of a wet cough
Treatment of a damp cough in adults caused by a cold or a viral infection can be done at home. But if it does not cease within a week, you should visit a specialist who will assign the necessary examinations. Laboratory tests provide an opportunity to determine the nature of sputum and identify the cause that caused its isolation.
How to cure a wet cough in adults?
How to eliminate wet cough in an adult? Treatment in any case is not recommended to be carried out with drugs that suppress the protective reflex of the respiratory system. They will contribute to the release and accumulation of mucus in the lungs, which will enhance the inflammatory process.
For the treatment of sputum caused by a cold or a virus, expectorants and mucolytic agents are the best.
Preparations for expectoration and mucolytics
How is moist humor cured in adults treated? Medicines are chosen different, depending on the nature of secretion secreted.
If sputum differs in density and viscosity, then dilution is required. To this end, mucolytic agents are used. Among a number of such drugs should be noted ACTS, Mukobene, Lazolvan, Ambrogene, Ambrolan, Mukosol, Fluimitsil.
If the mucus has a liquid consistency, then in this case it is necessary to stimulate its release. The secret leaves better and is quickly removed from the respiratory system. Such drugs belong to the category of expectorants. The category of such preparations include Amtersol, Mukaltin, Dr. IOM, Travisil, Bronchicum, Stopptussin.
Wet cough is stopped with the help of various herbal infusions and decoctions. Means for expectoration are chest gathers and individual plants.
Some of them act on the bronchial mucosa, provoking its irritation and secretion, others contribute to irritation of the gastric mucosa and excite the vomiting center at the reflex level.
Expectorants are produced both on the basis of plants and on synthetic components.
Most drugs are a combination of mucolytic and expectorant drugs. They contribute to the simultaneous dilution and excretion of mucus from the body.
Adult people should pay attention to ointments used in homeopathy. When rubbed, they penetrate the pores of the skin and enter the bloodstream, which helps warm up the respiratory system and stimulate recovery.
Application of syrups
How to eliminate wet cough? Wet in adults, the treatment of which is carried out by different means, is also stopped by means of syrups. They are used for children. It should be noted that without consulting a doctor, the use of syrup is not recommended. The composition contains polysaccharides, organic acids, tannins and glycosides. They contribute not only to dilution of sputum, but also to strengthen weakened immunity.
Special attention should be paid to the products produced on the basis of plants such as thyme, primrose, plantain, seneg. Excellent reviews have received drugs Pectorad, Prospan, Herbion, Bromhexin. They stop both wet and dry cough. Buying a similar tool in the pharmacy, it is necessary to clarify what type of syrup is required in your case.
Home and equipment inhalations
For inhalation with cough and sputum, a mixture based on mineral water and physiological saline can be prepared. If you add a few drops of coniferous oil, the effect will increase many times.
Healing steam breathes from any container. At the same time, cover the head with a towel.
The use of the nebulizer
The nebulizer is a highly effective remedy for the elimination of productive cough. With its use, the flow of cold steam is directed directly to the respiratory organs. The duration of the procedure can be adjusted at your discretion.
Nebulizers are represented by various modifications:
- Steam model. You can use only essential oils.
- Ultrasonic device. It is designed for cupping bronchitis. You can use infusions of herbs and solutions based on salt.
- Compressor unit. It is versatile.
How to treat wet cough in adults with a nebulizer? When using the device, there are certain rules:
- The procedure is performed one hour after a meal. The duration of inhalation for an adult patient is approximately 10 minutes.
- One should try to exhale and inhale through the mouth, holding the breath between them for 1-2 seconds.
Wet cough in an adult, whose causes and treatments are described in this article, can be eliminated through folk methods. Recipes are simple.
- You should pour 2 tsp.flax seeds with a glass of water and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. The broth is cooled and drunk during the day. You can add honey to it.
- Undertakes Art.l.dry grated sage. The grass is poured into a glass of boiling water. The mixture is infused for 30 minutes. Ready infusion is filtered. It adds milk in a 1: 1 ratio. Drink such a drug 3-4 times a day in a warm form. From its use should refrain pregnant and lactating women.
- During the period of illness it is recommended to consume more vegetables.
- Cough with the release of mucus is helped by medicinal herbs. You should mix a glass of lime color with half a glass of birch buds, pour the mixture with a glass of water and cook for 5 minutes. The broth is filtered and brought to a warm state. The portion is drunk in 3-4 meals during the day. Before use in the broth it is recommended to add 1 tsp.honey and a teaspoonful of aloe juice.
- Black radish is used to eliminate wet cough in adults. Root should be peeled and grated or cut into small slices. The radish fits in a plate and is filled with honey. Honey can be replaced with sugar. At the bottom of the plate will gather juice. He often drinks 1 teaspoonful. From a medium-sized radish, you can get a daily dose of juice.
- An excellent way to strengthen immunity and fight against colds and viral diseases is tea with ginger. You can add honey to it.
- If the house has frozen berries cranberries, then you can prepare a jelly
- A malodorous, but very effective against wet cough is garlic with milk. Five cloves of peeled garlic are poured into a glass of boiled milk and infused for 30 minutes. The filtered infusion is drunk in 2-3 meals in a warm form.
- To eliminate cough with phlegm, a badger or goose fat is used. They rub their back and chest. At night, a shirt from the flannel is worn. Coughing will not disturb during sleep.
- Frequent fluid intake, which contributes to the dilution of sputum and expectoration.
- Room airing. It reduces the cough reflex.
- Carrying out a wet cleaning, which relieves the room of dust and allergens, which causes deterioration of the patient's well-being.
- Refusal of smoking, including from its passive form.
- Avoiding strong smells.
- Refuse from spicy and spicy food.
Necessity of observance of a confinement at treatment of a cough with a sputum is not present. If the general condition is satisfactory, then lying is not always recommended. This provokes the accumulation of mucus, which prevents its complete separation.
Wet cough in adults is a symptom of many serious illnesses. Therefore, the treatment of wet cough in adults and children is recommended to be carried out under the supervision of a doctor.
The specialist will prescribe appropriate examinations and will draw up a suitable treatment regimen. Especially dangerous is a wet cough in children. It can cause serious complications.
Various preparations on a plant or chemical basis are used to eliminate the symptom. Methods of traditional medicine were also widely used.