Medical abortion: how it goes, the stages, consequences and feedback
Despite the huge choice of means of protection, the problem of unplanned pregnancy is extremely topical today. Few of the modern families are really engaged in planning the birth of a child. It is for this reason that the service of abortion is constantly in demand.
What is medical abortion?
The latest way to terminate a pregnancy is medication, or as it is also called, a pharmacy. It is conducted in a non-operational way, which has earned its recognition and popularity. However, this type of abortion has its own peculiarity - it can be carried out only in the early stages, up to six weeks of pregnancy.
Medical abortion: how passes. Highlights of
Due to contraindications to the procedure and the possibility of life-threatening, medical abortion is possible only under the strict supervision of a physician. It will help to assess the condition of a woman and the absence of contraindications, besides, when you purchase a medicine from you will require a prescription from the treating doctor.
Medical abortion is under the influence of a medical medication, which stimulates the process of rejection of the embryo and purification of the uterine cavity.
The procedure has its own characteristics and contraindications, in the presence of which any type of abortion, including medical abortion, is excluded. As pregnancy passes, the woman's well-being and other characteristics - everything should be taken into account. The procedure is excluded in such cases:
- In case of an acute form of an infectious disease.
- In the presence of inflammatory process in the body, including in the intimate area.
- When diagnosing an ectopic pregnancy.
If there is one of the above contraindications, abortion is impossible, and the pathological process is treatable. Otherwise, the risk of complications is greatly increased.
Contraindications for medical abortion
For this type of termination of pregnancy there are also contraindications:
- Intolerance of substances that make up the drug. In such a situation, the doctor will be able to advise another remedy that is right for you.
- Having kidney and liver problems.
- Serious cardiac and vascular diseases.
- Breastfeeding, as substances are absorbed into the blood and enter the breast milk.
- In a situation where a long period of protection was carried out with the help of oral contraceptives, and their reception stopped immediately before the onset of pregnancy.
- Inflammation of the stomach( gastritis, gastroduodenitis, ulcer).
- The presence of a scar on the uterus.
Preparing for the procedure for abortion
For a successful procedure, a woman should consult a doctor and strictly follow his requirements and advice. At the first reception, the doctor will tell the woman how medical abortion is taking place. The patient will need to try to establish the exact date of conception, undergo an ultrasound examination in order to exclude an ectopic pregnancy, and also to pass a number of tests.
The patient should report all chronic diseases to prevent the risk of complications.
For a day or two before the abortion, alcohol consumption should be excluded and smoking refrained. Women who smoke more than ten cigarettes a day should remember that the effect of the drug will be reduced.
What is this procedure?
It is conducted in a hospital in several stages.
- The patient is allowed to take two tablets of the drug, after which the woman remains under observation of the medical staff for a certain period of time( two to four hours) in the hospital. How to undergo medical abortion, the doctor should evaluate. In the absence of side effects, rejection of medications( vomiting) and complications, the patient goes home the same day. The drug( "Mifepristone") promotes the termination of pregnancy. It prepares the uterus to expel the embryo. It softens, the tone increases, the process occurs, as before the beginning of menstruation.
- After two days, the client re-contacts the clinic for the next stage. She receives a different kind of medication( "Misoprostol"), which helps the body to get rid of the fetus. The patient is under the supervision of the medical staff for at least two hours from the start of the procedure( medical abortion).How the process goes, an expert should evaluate. After the examination, the patient can go home. At this stage, the fetus is ejected, which can be accompanied by bleeding and painful sensations.
How is medical abortion: feedback from
Reviews the procedure of medical abortion gets different. Many girls note its convenience and a rare percentage of complications. Some mention severe pain at the time of emptying the uterus from the fetal egg and heavy bleeding.
The doctor's observation is necessary both at all stages of the procedure and after its completion.
- Two days later the client again turns to the doctor for ultrasound examination in order to get a full picture of the result.
- Two weeks later, the woman should again undergo an ultrasound examination, so that the attending physician could make sure that the abortion was successful and there were no complications in the patient.
Thus, the entire process of expulsion of the fetus, usually takes three to ten days. In some women this happens after the first drug is taken.
There are cases when, after abortion, pregnancy persists or stops completely. There is also a risk of complications. It is for the purpose of preventing such situations that medical abortion( as it passes etc.) should be evaluated by a doctor.
The recovery of the body in each patient takes from a month to two. As a rule, when a month has passed after a medical abortion, the woman is renewed monthly. Sometimes this period can last up to two months.
Possible complications and how to avoid them
Abortion is a complex procedure, after which complications can occur. Here are some of them:
- Bleeding( a rare case).At the beginning of abundant uterine bleeding it is necessary to go to the hospital where a woman can make a curettage of the uterus and a blood transfusion. The risk of uterine bleeding increases in proportion to the duration of pregnancy, so medical abortion is better to use in the early stages.
- Hematometer( accumulation of blood in the uterus).The development of this type of complications is more frequent. It is dangerous to infect the woman's body. The process is characterized by a sharp interruption of blood loss, fever, pain in the lower abdomen. To prevent hematomas, a mandatory examination of the doctor after an abortion is necessary.
- Incomplete abortion. It occurs most often in nulliparous women. In such a situation, the patient is given vacuum aspiration or scraping. Prevent this phenomenon will help follow-up with the attending physician.
- Preservation of the fetal egg( pregnancy).It occurs very rarely. Most often, attending physicians recommend vacuum cleaning, since the risk of having a child with developmental disabilities is greatly increased.
- Infectious disease is a rare type of complication. Characterized by fever( high temperature lasts more than four hours).To prevent infectious diseases before the procedure, it is necessary to undergo a doctor's examination in order to detect possible inflammatory processes and their treatment. The advantages of medical abortion
- Use in early pregnancy.
- Least traumatic for the body of a woman.
- A smaller list of complications compared to other types of abortion.
- The process is performed on an outpatient basis and requires only periodic monitoring by a physician.
Answers to the most frequently asked questions
- Why does not it go after a medical abortion? This may be a consequence of taking medications. Nausea is a possible side effect of the procedure. To make sure that the abortion was successful, do not neglect the subsequent examination by a doctor and a control ultrasound.
- Does medical abortion suffer painfully? Of all the available methods of abortion, this type of abortion is the least dangerous and traumatic for a woman, but it is not without discomfort. So, nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, discharge of blood are possible.
- How to understand that medical abortion was successful? To reduce the risk of possible side effects and the negative consequences of the procedure, a compulsory visit to the doctor is recommended. Normalization of the body's activity occurs, on average, after a month or two after the procedure.