Proper nutrition in breast cancer
Breast cancer is a common pathology, the treatment of which is rather difficult and time consuming. Depending on the stage of the disease, various methods of control are used: medication, chemotherapy, surgical removal of education. Of great importance is proper nutrition in breast cancer. Some products contribute to the improvement of the patient's condition, while others provide the conditions for the development of cancer cells.
"We are what we eat"
Products are the source of life, as they nourish our body with useful trace elements, which are so necessary for the provision of metabolic processes. When you eat, along with important substances for life, those that have a destructive effect on the work of various organs also come into play, as well as stimulate the growth of pathogenic cells.
Malnutrition is one of the main causes of oncology. According to statistics, in 50% of women and 30% of men, the onset of the disease is associated with food factors.
Nutrition for breast cancer needs to be correctly adjusted.
In order for the organism to easily digest food, it is necessary to eat more often, but in small portions. A number of products must be completely removed from their diet. Do not forget about calories. Their quantity should be in accordance with energy costs, since excessive caloric content can cause weight gain.
Foods not permitted for use in the disease
Nutrition for breast cancer should consist exclusively of beneficial products. To reduce the probability of increased growth of pathogenic cells, the diet should be deleted:
- Foods containing preservatives and artificial additives.
- Fried and greasy food.
- Products are not the first freshness.
Do I need to follow a diet during treatment?
It is very important to take care of the body in the process of treatment of cancer. As far as possible, it is necessary to lead an active life, exercise, and adjust nutrition. In breast cancer, weight loss often occurs. Some women sharply lose kilograms, while others, on the contrary, gain them with excess. Therefore, it is very important to monitor the calorie content of food. In the menu, there must be a protein that helps restore the general condition of the patient. The number of calories should cover the energy costs of the body.
Quite often during the treatment and at the end of it, patients experience fatigue and discomfort. Appetite is sharply reduced, and the usual dishes can seem quite different in taste.
Side effects from treatment may be:
- sores in the mouth;
- poor appetite.
Diet in oncology is an important element that helps the body to recover after prolonged therapy.
Nutrition for breast cancer Stage 2 should be corrected by the attending physician. Often, a specialist in the field of dietology, who has experience working with oncology patients, is involved in solving this problem.
How to eat properly after chemotherapy?
Adherence to proper nutrition is necessary for all people. Especially this rule applies to people who have an oncological disease. If a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer, you need to give up high-calorie food, as the treatment process can affect weight fluctuations.
Nutrition after chemotherapy for breast cancer should be under strict control:
- During this period, it is very important to consume foods containing vitamin C. But it is better to refrain from citrus fruits, as some drugs used in the treatment can cause the formation of sores and sores inoral cavity. A high concentration of acid will provoke irritation. According to doctors, an excellent substitute for citrus fruits will be apple sauce, peach juice, pear nectar.
- Protein contained in meat is very important for recovery after chemotherapy. But in selecting meat, you need to be careful, as not all species can be consumed with such a disease. It is recommended to eat dietary varieties: rabbit meat, chicken and turkey meat.
- Very useful in the rehabilitation of seafood.
- Nutrition after chemotherapy for breast cancer can include not only the bread of yesterday's baking, the patient can eat freshly baked loaves.
- During the recovery of the body after prolonged and debilitating treatment it is forbidden to eat fried and fatty foods. Also it is necessary to refuse sharp dishes. It is very harmful to overeating, because the body spends a lot of energy on digesting food, which is so necessary for its recovery.
Food, cleansing blood
In food for breast cancer should include products that have the property of purifying the blood. Since this liquid participates in multiple metabolic processes in the body, human health depends on its quality and chemical composition.
Carrots and beets have purifying properties. Vegetables can be kneaded, baked in the oven, boiled or eaten raw.
Nutrition in the post-operative period
Many women who are faced with breast resection are interested in the question: what should be the food after the operation?
Breast cancer is often treated surgically, which gives an additional burden to the already exhausted organism. For a quick recovery, you need to eat correctly:
- If after treatment a woman is overweight, you need to reduce the amount of food intake. Do not confuse the decrease in the volume of portions of food with a low-calorie diet. You need to eat five times a day, but in small quantities. Completely abandon the sweet, spicy, fatty and fried. Eat more vegetables and fruits, and replace white bread with black bread. The menu must contain such products: fish, legumes and broccoli.
- If the patient has noticeable weight loss during treatment, it is necessary to supplement his daily diet with high-calorie foods. You need to eat more cereals, fruits and vegetables. The menu must include: low-fat meat, sour-milk products, hard cheeses. Fats of animal origin must be replaced by vegetable fats. The patient is recommended to drink more juices and mineral water.
Foods for breast cancer should be selected carefully. Diet should always be agreed with your doctor. In case the patient is allergic to any food( for example, citrus fruits or seafood), they must be excluded, in order not to provoke the development of another, concomitant disease.
Compliance with the recommendations of the attending physician will allow to recover as soon as possible after surgery and in the subsequent to avoid relapses.
Which products must necessarily be on the oncological menu?
Nutrition for breast cancer of Stage 1 has practically the same recommendations as for other types of oncology.
Products should contain as many useful substances as possible: minerals, vitamins, amino acids and other trace elements. Therefore, the menu must include:
- dietary meat( chicken, rabbit, turkey);
- red fish and seafood;
- leguminous plants( beans, lentils and others);
- melons and gourds( pumpkin and watermelon);
- fruit and berries;
- vegetables( broccoli and other varieties of cabbage, beets, carrots, zucchini and bell peppers);
- various kinds of greenery( parsley, lettuce, arugula);
- sour-milk products with low fat content;
- porridge( oatmeal, buckwheat and corn);
- low-fat cheeses.
List of products effective in combating oncology
Scientists have determined that there are products whose use helps effectively combat cancer:
- Vegetables of the cruciferous family. These plants include broccoli, white cabbage, Brussels and cauliflower, as well as watercress. These vegetables contain a large amount of vitamin C. It is recommended to eat raw.
- Soy. This type of legumes helps prevent the development of malignant cells, and also reduces intoxication caused by chemotherapy and radiation.
- Garlic and onions. These products contain allicin, which is a powerful detoxifier. The sulfur-containing substance cleanses the body of various harmful microbes and carcinogens.
- Brown algae. The presence of iodine in this product helps regulate the metabolism of sugar in the blood, which is responsible for the energy state. Reduction of energy production leads to the creation of an enabling environment for the development of oncology. Also in algae, the high content of the most powerful antioxidant is selenium. Fruit Seeds and Nuts. Nuts contain a substance that kills malignant cells. Seeds of pumpkin, flax, sunflower and sesame have in the composition of the outer peel lignans( phytoestrogens), which can lower estrogen. In an overabundance, this female hormone stimulates the development of cancer of the ovaries, mammary glands and uterus.
- Tomatoes. These vegetables contain the strongest antioxidant - lycopene, which has antitumor properties.
- Eggs and fish are the richest source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have a depressing effect on malignant cells.
- Berries and citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C. Raspberries, pomegranate and strawberries have ellagic acid, whose property is to slow the growth of oncogenic cells.
An interesting fact
In the 70s of the XX century, experiments were performed, the results of which proved that cancer remission can be achieved with the help of an immune protein - interferon alfa, which signals the body of infections. Another experiment showed the relationship between T-cell immunity and tumor reduction.
The food we eat can both contribute to the development of oncology, and help to fight malignant tumors. Proper nutrition will reduce the risk of pathology.