Testosterone undecanoate: instructions, analogues and reviews
Testosterone undecanoate is an ester of natural androgen, testosterone. About the form in which this tool is released, for what and how it is used, we will tell in the article presented.
Also you will find out what properties this substance has, whether it has contraindications and side effects.
Form release, description and packaging
Testosterone undecanoate is marketed in various forms:
- Gelatin capsules that contain active ingredient. They are packed into blisters and cartons, respectively.
- An oily and clear solution with a yellowish hue for intramuscular injection.1 ml of this drug contains 250 mg of testosterone undecanoate. As auxiliary elements, benzyl benzoate and purified castor oil are used. The medication goes on sale in ampoules made of amber glass, which are placed in cardboard boxes with a glued ampoule holder. How is testosterone undecanoate obtained? Experts say that such an active form of the drug is formed by splitting the side chain.
Testosterone is called the male sex hormone, which has the entire spectrum of biological activity, which is necessary for the formation and maintenance of androgenic functions.
Synthesis of this substance occurs in the testicles, as well as in the adrenal cortex. During intrauterine development, as well as in early childhood and during puberty, this element contributes to the formation of male characteristics and sexual organs. Subsequently, this hormone provides support for androgen-dependent functions and the male phenotype.
Insufficient secretion of this substance leads to the development of hypogonadism. His symptoms include erectile dysfunction, depressed mood, decreased sexual desire, increased fatigue, regression, lack or underdevelopment of secondary sexual characteristics.
Also, such representatives of the stronger sex increase the risk of developing osteoporosis.
Testosterone undecanoate is prescribed to increase inadequate levels of endogenous testosterone, as well as reduce signs of hypogonadism.
The nature of the action of this drug is due to the following properties:
- androgenic( affects the epididymis, seminal vesicles, prostate gland);
- protein-anabolic( affects the bones, muscles, kidneys, hematopoiesis, liver).
In men who suffer from hypogonadism, testosterone undecanoate reduces the mass of fat tissue and increases lean body mass. It also prevents loss and promotes the growth of bone tissue, improves sexual function and has a positive psychotropic effect.
Indications for use
What is the purpose of using testosterone preparations undecanoate? The instruction says that for the representatives of the stronger sex such drugs are used as hormone replacement therapy for violations due to secondary or primary testosterone deficiency, including post-stroke syndrome, hypopituitarism, eunuchoidism, endocrine impotence and some infertility caused by impaired spermatogenesis, as well as menopausaldisorders in men( for example, with a decrease in physical and mental activity, libido).
In transsexuals with a change of sex( for men), this medication is prescribed for masculinization.
Testosterone undecanoate can also be used in osteoporosis, which is caused by androgen deficiency.
Testosterone undecanoate( ampoules and tablets) is not allowed for use with:
- androgen-dependent prostatic carcinoma;
- hypercalcemia, which is accompanied by malignant tumors;
- androgen-dependent breast carcinoma in representatives of the stronger sex;
- hypersensitivity to the main substance or any auxiliary component of the drug;
- is a liver tumor in history or at present.
It should also be noted that testosterone undecanoate( "Nebido") is not prescribed to women.
With extreme caution, it is recommended for patients with apnea syndrome and children in adolescence.
Method of using tablets
Tablets that increase testosterone in men should be taken only during consumption of food. In this case, the food should not contain too much fat. Otherwise, the absorption of the drug through the lymphatic system will be maximum.
When taking tablets on an empty stomach their absorption is minimal.
If the drug was prescribed to increase testosterone in the stronger sex, then it is prescribed twice a day.
To increase the level of androgens, the medication is taken in a dosage equal to 120-160 mg, every day for 3 weeks.
For a pronounced anabolic effect, experts recommend using high doses of medication. In this case, it is necessary to take 240 mg of the drug every day. It should be borne in mind that such a dosage can lead to the development of adverse reactions.
Application of the injectable form of the preparation
The introduction of the drug "Nebido" in the dose of 1 g of testosterone undecanoate( ie 1 ampoule) is carried out once a day for 10-15 weeks. Such frequency of injections provides support of sufficient level of a hormone that does not cause its cumulation.
The drug is administered intramuscularly immediately after opening the ampoule. Injection is done slowly. In this case, ensure that the drug does not enter the blood vessel.
Before you begin treatment, you should consult your doctor. The latter is required to determine the amount of testosterone in the serum.
The interval between the first injections should be at least 6 weeks.
At the end of this interval, the testosterone concentration in the blood should be checked. If its level is below normal, then the interval between injections is to be reduced.
If the concentration of testosterone is high, then it is necessary to consider increasing the interval.
Side effects of
After taking the tablets in the strong, the following undesirable effects may develop:
- frequent erections, active sexual development, increased genital organs of adolescents;
- sodium and water retention;
- increased libido;
- priapism and other signs of sexual stimulation;
- nausea and dizziness.
When intramuscular injection of the drug in men observed:
- increased hemoglobin, hypersensitivity;
- increase in body weight, hypercholesterolemia;
- increased appetite, polycythemia;
- increase in the number of red blood cells, depression;
- insomnia, migraine, anxiety;
- aggressiveness, headache, irritability;
- hot flushes, dizziness, hypertension;
- bronchitis, dyspnea, sinusitis, diarrhea;
- rash, arthralgia, papular rash, pain in the limbs;
- itching, muscle tension, dry skin, etc.
Price and analogues
Testosterone undecanoate in a pharmacy can be purchased for 1000-1200 rubles.
The analogues of this medication are such drugs as Andriol, Androxon and Virigen. Determine which of the listed tools should be used in the therapy process, only an experienced specialist will be able to use the data of the medical examination and analyzes.
Reviews of men about the drug
Testosterone undecanoate is a drug that is often used as hormone replacement therapy. Most men who take this medication, speak of it exclusively on the positive side. According to their reports, testosterone in tablets is less effective than a similar drug, but in an injectable form. Therefore, many patients try to purchase the drug in ampoules.
Although there are also men who claim that the testosterone undecanoate tablets are just as effective as injections. Moreover, they are much more convenient, because you can take them not only at home, but also at work, rest and so on.