How to correct the curvature of the spine? Prevention and treatment
Beautiful posture, as you know, is not only a sign of a person's confidence, but also an indicator of the correct way of life that he leads. Excess weight, improper position during work, weakened back muscles and many other reasons can lead to problems with posture. The result is stooping, back pain and self-doubt. Therefore, it is easier to do prophylaxis in a timely manner than to then seek information on how to correct the curvature of the spine.
Why the curvature of the
A violation of the correct form of the spinal column can be both congenital and acquired. And the reasons, respectively, will be different. In the first case, congenital diseases, heredity or genetic abnormalities can lead to distortion. The second reason for the change in the shape of the spine is most often the wrong position of the body when sitting. Nevertheless, some diseases can also lead to curvature in adulthood.
The most common change in the shape of the spine, caused by a lack of proper posture during sedentary work, is evident in schoolchildren. Curvature of the spine in a child can lead to serious consequences in adulthood. Therefore, it is important to monitor the position of the student's body when doing his homework, as well as in class. Unfortunately, teachers and parents do not always do this.
Types of curvature of the spine
Any disease requires an individual approach. Therefore, before we figure out how to correct the curvature of the spine, we will figure out what kinds it is and what it can lead to.
In the normal state, the vertebral column is not completely straight. It has physiological curves that allow the distribution of the load on the muscles of a person. Any deviation from the normal shape of the spine is considered a curvature. Types and, accordingly, the consequences of such changes are different.
The most common curvature of the spine is scoliosis. It is characterized by the deviation of the vertebrae sideways, most often in the region of the breast. The result is a change in gait and posture, as well as lifting one shoulder relative to the other. Another type of curvature is lordosis - this is the deviation of the spine axis forward, which, when the disease develops, can lead to malfunctioning of the internal organs( heart, lungs and kidneys).Most often lordosis manifests itself as a cervical curvature of the spine and lumbar. The third type of disease is kyphosis. Its main difference is stoop, because the vertebrae in the cervical region are shifted back.
It is possible to determine exactly whether a person has this or that curvature of the spine, only the doctor can do it by eye or with the help of radiography and computed tomography. Nevertheless, a simple diagnosis in the home can be done by everyone. Subjective signs of curvature are pain and heaviness in the back, chest and neck, numbness and weakness of the limbs, headaches, coordination disorders, etc.
Several more simple steps can be taken to identify more serious signs of changes in the shape of the spine.
- Stand up straight. If one shoulder is higher than the second, then there is a curvature.
- In the same position, compare the distance from the arms to the waist. If it is different, there is likely to be an abnormal curvature.
- If there are problems with the spine on the straight back, the scapulae will bulge in different ways.
Unfortunately, signs of curvature of the spine in the early stages are not always noticeable. But the development of these deviations can lead to the most unpleasant consequences. Therefore, at the first signs of the disease, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. He will conduct a full diagnosis and, if identified, will tell you how to correct the curvature of the spine without affecting the body.
What is fraught with the curvature of the spine
Any pathology associated with changes in the position of the vertebrae leads to unpleasant consequences. At the first stages of the development of the disease, these effects are minimal, but left unattended, they can bring a lot of problems.
The first thing that people around will notice is the ugly skewed body and stoop. The patient will get tired faster, feel pain in the back, neck and head. Consequences of curvature of the spine are also spasms in the muscles. But this is not the worst thing. More serious development of the disease will lead to deterioration of the cardiovascular system and gastrointestinal tract, difficulty breathing, bronchitis and pneumonia. A strong curvature of the spine in a woman can cause problems with conceiving and bearing a child.
As with any other diseases, the earlier treatment begins, the less unpleasant the consequences will be. Therefore, an important stage in creating a correct posture is the prevention of curvature of the spine. It's easier to prevent than treat.
How to avoid curvature of the spine
Begin taking care of your back from the very childhood. After all, it is at an early age that all bones are in the stage of growth and therefore are most susceptible to changes. Accustoming the child to sports will strengthen the muscles of the back and improve the entire body. The most suitable for the prevention of diseases of the back is swimming.
The curvature of the spine in a child often develops due to an incorrect position of the body when working at a table. Therefore, it is necessary to monitor the children's compliance with the correct posture. The back must always be straight. Over time, this will become a habit, and maintaining such a position will not require additional efforts. If the child has the correct posture, the curvature of the spine to him in most cases is not threatened.
Proper nutrition will provide the body with all the necessary substances and minerals for the development of the skeleton. This is especially important in childhood.
Practical tips for the prevention of curvature
These recommendations are suitable for adults who want to maintain their posture and avoid diseases associated with changes in the shape of the spine.
- When lifting weights, try to keep them as close to the body as possible. This will reduce the burden on the intervertebral discs. Women are not recommended to lift objects heavier than 20 kg, and men - 50 kg.
- When doing work, stand a little bend your knees. It's easier to keep your back in a straight position.
- Vegetable cleaning should be done sitting at the table, and not standing in front of the working surface.
- If necessary, raise something or put it on the lower shelf, sit down instead of bending over.
- Use the longest nozzle when working with a vacuum cleaner. This will save you from having to constantly bend over.
- When working with iron, the ironing board should be at a height of 10-15 cm from the elbow.
- Do not sit for long in one position. Regularly take breaks for 5-7 minutes. At this time, walk around, move your shoulders, do simple exercises.
Treatment at home
If problems with the spine still occur, you should immediately consult a doctor. He will prescribe the necessary medication, massage, recommend choosing the right mattress for sleep and give general recommendations on how to correct the curvature of the spine. But this treatment does not end there. In order to quickly get rid of the consequences of the disease, it is necessary to regularly perform special exercises with curvature of the spine. In addition, do not forget about the tips listed above.
Getting rid of excess weight will also help with bending. Losing weight will reduce the burden on the body and in particular on the back. But it is important to remember that with any diet, the body should receive a sufficient amount of useful substances.
Exercises for the treatment of scoliosis
Before starting to practice, it is important to remember that there are different types of curvature of the spine and the degree of disease. Therefore, it will be more appropriate to consult a doctor for advice and find out if an exercise is appropriate for a particular case.
With C-shaped scoliosis( if there is unidirectional bending):
- Take position standing, legs spread out a little. Put your hands on your shoulders and use your elbows to rotate. Do 3 sets of 8 turns ahead and 8 back.
- The situation is the same. Lower your arms, pull your head up and try to maximize your body without raising your heels. Hold the position for 5-7 seconds.
- Lie down on the floor with your stomach down. Hands stretch along the body. Raise your head upward, while holding the chest and shoulder girdle from the floor.
- In the same position, lift up your legs and arms outstretched at the same time.
Do all exercises slowly, slowly. If you feel pain, stop the workout.
Exercises for S-shaped scoliosis
These sessions will be slightly different. They are aimed at correcting the area of the waist and chest, as well as strengthening the latissimus muscle of the back.
- Lie down on the bench with your stomach so that its edge is in the area of the lumbar region. Lower the body down at right angles. And now try to take a horizontal position again, without lifting your legs.
- Standing position. Leave the leg sideways from the side of the curvature. Put your hands on the back of your head. When you inhale, spread your arms and sag.
- Stand on all fours. First inhale, and on exhalation move the buttocks to the heels, without moving your hands from the spot. On inhalation, return to the starting position. Make 5 approaches.
- Stand on all fours, arch your back with a wheel and in a few seconds, go back to the starting position. Do this 5 times.
Regular performance of these exercises, strict adherence to the doctor's recommendations and proper massage will help to get rid of the problems associated with curvature of the spine.