Why does the right side of the leg hurt under the rib?
Any person engaged in a mobile sport periodically experiences pain in the right hypochondrium. From this, neither beginner athletes nor professionals are immune. Most often, runners are exposed to this. As a rule, when running it hurts the right side under the rib, but sometimes pain can arise at any point of the abdomen. Each person has this individually, the localization of pain does not change with subsequent attacks. Unpleasant sensation begins to manifest itself in the form of aching, mild pain, which is rapidly growing and turning into an acute, unbearable. When it reaches its peak, it becomes extremely difficult for a person to breathe and move. Even if you conduct a medical examination at this moment, it will not reveal the pathologies associated with running. Then why does the right side hurt while running?
Insufficient oxygen saturation of the diaphragm - this theory for a long time was the only explanation of why during the race the right side hurts, and also after it.
The essence is that in the process of running the diaphragm works more actively, its need for saturation with blood and oxygen increases. A greater amount is required for other muscles participating in motor activity. Because of frequent inconsistent breathing, the diaphragm's work is disrupted, as a result, the heart also does not receive enough blood, this provokes pain. After the forced stop, the diaphragm does not immediately return to its original state, the right side still hurts after a run for some time. After restoring a normal rhythm of breathing, painful sensations recede.
This theory causes a lot of controversy, as some people do not have pain in their right side when running, but in the lower abdomen, where there is no diaphragm. In addition, she is very hardy - a continuous process of breathing well trains this muscle area.
Incorrectly planned food intake
After eating, the body needs a lot of energy to digest it. If the physical load takes place less than 2 hours after a hearty meal, the increased stomach volume will not allow you to actively move. That's why when running, and hurts right side.
Frequent use of alcohol
This is not about professional athletes, but about people who do not always adhere to a healthy lifestyle.
When using alcoholic beverages, the liver experiences a colossal load. The result is an increase in size and pressure on the nerve endings. If the "athlete" sins with an addiction, the pain in the right hypochondrium becomes a regularity.
Anatomical features of the body
From the point of view of anatomy, the abdominal cavity is covered with a thin shell consisting of two parts. Motor activity, coupled with increased activity of the diaphragm, causes friction of these parts against each other.
This version explains why it hurts in the right side when running in a certain place - the point of contact of the shell parts determines the localization of pain.
Insufficient preparation of muscles
If before running it is not carried out a qualitative warm-up, the body will experience stress. In a calm state, blood circulation and oxygen saturation of all body systems are adjusted. Without preliminary preparation of the body for physical exertion, normal blood circulation and oxygen delivery are disrupted. This immediately responds to the spleen and liver - increased in size, they squeeze the nerve endings.
Deformation and any other pathological processes cause pain when running in the right hypochondrium. The diaphragm is closely related to the muscles of the lumbar region. Their stress is reflected in her work, and she, in turn, responds with pain. Among doctors, this is the most popular version as to why the right side hurts when running. The systematic appearance of pain sensations is the reason for examination of the spine.
Presence of serious pathologies
Pain in the right hypochondrium during running provokes the following pathologies:
- presence of stones in the right kidney;
- biliary dyskinesia, gallstones;
- diseases of the digestive tract( colitis, gastritis, etc.).
If the pain in the right side periodically occurs and at rest, you need to undergo a medical examination.
Before the exercise, juice or sweet soda
was drunk. There is a small amount of liquid in the human intestine( its scientific name is intraperitoneal).It is between the parts of the shell covering the abdominal cavity, this does not allow them to rub against each other. Juices, carbonated and energy drinks significantly change the composition of the liquid, reducing its amount. If after their use there is pain, this serves as an answer to the question of why the running hurts the right side.
It is recommended to drink only clean water without gas before physical exertion, and also during it, it does not affect the liquid in the intestine.
Why does the right side hurt after running? Methods of pain relief
The causes of pain in the right side after running are the same as during it. After a while after the stop, painful sensations should subside.
If this happens too slowly, you need to use one of the ways to speed up the process:
- Go for walking, breathing in full. It is necessary to try to make so that blow of a foot on the ground or a floor from the left side was simultaneously with an exhalation. It is not necessary to do it for each touch of the running surface of the left foot, you can do an exhalation in 1-2 steps. The pain sensation is removed due to the fact that the main load begins to take the left side, allowing the muscles of the right side to relax.
- To make inclined forward movements, thanks to them the tension of the abdominal area is removed.
- Do the stretching exercise: raise your left arm up and tilt to the right, then raise your right arm and lean to the left. Movements should be slow and smooth, at the maximum point of inclination it is recommended to stay for half a minute.
- Carry out trimming of the diaphragm.
- Perform respiratory gymnastics: take a deep breath, then, having curled your lips into a tube, exhale for a long time. Repeat several times. Thus, a strained diaphragm is massed from the inside.
- Bend forward, touching the palms of the toes.
- To massage the painful area with three fingers of the right hand, you can simply press it until pain is relieved.
- Pull in the belly as much as possible, making strong breaths and exhalations through the nose.
How to reduce the likelihood of pain when running
Running is one of the best ways to improve the body as a whole, it can easily lose weight and improve your health.
To ensure that the process does not cause discomfort and pain, it must be properly prepared, and also observe a number of rules during running:
- If you are determined to go jogging, you need to reconsider your way of life. It is not recommended to overstrain yourself greatly, rest should be full.
- You should go for a run in the hours of maximum relaxation. Psychological tension, fatigue, a desire to sleep, etc., after running will be even stronger.
- If the morning run, you need to give the body time to wake up( about half an hour).If you start running immediately after awakening, the body will experience stress, the metabolism will be broken. If the run is evening, the muscles should rest after a hard day for a couple of hours, this will help to avoid overwork.
- It is necessary to organize the correct diet. Any snack before the start of running increases the likelihood of pain in the right side almost to 100%.
- It is important to monitor the quality of food consumed. Even if the timeframe is observed, pain will arise due to harmful eating, fatty dishes simply will not have time to digest at the set time.
- If diseases of internal organs and systems are excluded, and pain in the right side is regular, it is recommended to wear an elastic waistband before jogging. When there is pain, it should be tightened as much as possible.
- Do not run to exhaustion, exhaustion of the body will not bring the desired result.
- At the beginning of the process, you must immediately determine the optimal pace of running. It is a mistake to believe that the sooner the better, the physical preparation of each individual. A poorly prepared person from too fast a rate will begin to suffocate already in the first minutes.
- It's important to learn how to breathe properly. Athletes engaged in swimming are a good example. They can breathe only at the moment when the person is above the surface of the water, their breathing is synchronized with the movements of the body. Synchronization of inhalations and exhalations with the impacts of the feet on the running surface will uniformly enrich the oxygen to all organs and muscles, which will significantly reduce the likelihood of pain in the right hypochondrium.
- Training should be regular. The better the stamina and physical form, the less worried pain in the right side.
- To curvature of the spine did not prevent a full training, you must always walk with a straight back and head held high.
- Warm-up is a mandatory item before running, the better the muscles prepare for further exercise, the lower the risk of injury and pain.
- The load must be strictly dosed and increase smoothly. Reassessment of their own sports opportunities will result in a stabbing pain in the right hypochondrium.
Running is one of the best sports to improve health and fitness. To sharp pain in the right side does not become an obstacle to regular training, it is important to revise your lifestyle, undergo a medical examination to exclude the presence of possible pathologies, and also observe certain rules in the running process.