Duplex scanning of the BCA - what is it?
In case of cardiovascular system disorders, frequent headaches, dizziness and many other diseases, the doctor appoints the patient a duplex scanning of the BCA for diagnosis of the condition. What it is? UZDS BSA - study of the main( brachiocephalic) arteries with the help of ultrasound.
Each person has brachiocephalic arteries( BCA) - carotid, subclavian, vertebral. The place of their connection is called the brachiocephalic trunk. Trunk vessels and some branches form a single Wellisian circle, the main task of which is the distribution of blood flow to all parts of the brain. The doctor needs to evaluate all the characteristics of the arteries and their functionality when setting the diagnosis. If at least one of them develops disorders or pathology, then this can lead to a failure of the entire vascular system and, as a consequence, to a stroke.
To check the brachiocephalic arteries, a non-invasive diagnostic method is used - duplex scanning of the vessels of the BCA.The ap
Informativeness of the
method Currently, there is an opportunity to conduct such diagnostics in almost every clinic. The method is popular because it gives a large and exhaustive array of information. The main task of the doctor is to give a correct interpretation of the received data.
Duplex scanning of brachiocephalic arteries( BCA) shows the following:
- Vascular transit.
- Determines the presence of pathologies( congenital, acquired).
- Visually demonstrates the condition of the walls of arteries and vessels( thickness, width of the artery lumen, uniformity of the epithelium, etc.).
- Reflects the intensity of blood flow, the nature of blood flow through the vessels.
- Detects arterial lesions, such as atherosclerosis and the degree of its severity.
- Shows the individual features of the location, development of the OCA.
The hardware study allows to examine the artery from all sides, to reveal the disease in the initial stage, when the symptoms have not yet manifested, to determine the presence of atherosclerotic plaques on the walls of the arteries and much more.
Qualitative tool for the doctor
With the help of the method of the OCA of the BCA, the specialist diagnoses a whole list of diseases without interfering with the functioning of the body:
- Stenosis - narrowing of the walls of the vessels / arteries. At the initial stage, the doctor and the patient have the opportunity to avoid ischemic stroke with the proper therapy strategy.
- Aneurysm - appears on the walls of the vessels of the brain, is a neoplasm. Aneurysm - a dangerous disease, in the absence of treatment leads to a hemorrhage in the tissues.
- Atherosclerosis is the leader among vascular diseases. The patient develops atherosclerotic plaques, as they thicken and grow, they block the blood vessels of the brain, provoking a stroke.
Advantages of diagnosis
The condition of the main arteries is one of the indicators of the health of each person, the ability to quickly diagnose often saves the life of many patients.
Duplex scanning of the head and neck vessels( BCA) has the following advantages:
- Non-invasiveness - complete absence of penetrating effects on the body.
- Safety - the radiation of the device does not cause any harm, the body does not have any radiation or radiation load. You can carry out the procedure for pregnant women and infants. The number of sessions is not limited by time or frequency of appointments.
- Informativeness - OCDC of the BCA allows diagnosing even those disorders that have no clinical manifestations, all slightest deviations will be visible during the study, which allows you to prescribe preventive procedures. In critical cases, an immediate course of therapy will protect the patient from stroke, heart attack and other deadly diseases.
- Availability - Duplex scanning of the OCA vessels of the neck, head lasts 30 to 60 minutes. During the procedure, the doctor can fully assess the condition, and the patient - to understand how his vessels work.
When the study is assigned to
Duplex scanning of the BSA is recommended for everyone. A healthy person is enough once a year during a preventive examination. Physicians identify several categories of the population at risk, for whom the scanning of blood vessels is vital. These include:
- People whose age has passed the 40-year mark.
- Elderly patients.
- People who have blood relatives with vascular disease.
- Smokers with experience more than 15 years of smoking.
- Patients with diabetes, obesity, autoimmune vascular pathology, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
- Patients with metabolic syndrome, impaired cerebral circulation.
The doctor can prescribe duplex scanning of the OCA in such cases:
- Deterioration of concentration of attention, memory. Vertigo of unknown origin.
- Visual disturbance( the appearance of shrouds, flies before the eyes).
- Frequent headaches
- Repeated cases of a pre-occult condition.
- Shaky gait, impaired coordination.
- Noises in the ears( pulsation in the temples).
- Blood pressure jumps( a sharp drop, a sharp rise).
- Lethargy, general weakness, blurring of visual perception, etc.
Indications for mandatory diagnosis of
Direct indications for duplex scanning of BCA are the following diseases and conditions:
- Vegeto-vascular dystonia.
- Vascular disorders.
- Neoplasms in the neck.
- Preparation for cardiac interventions.
- Postoperative diagnostics( cardiology, vessels of the head, neck).
- A number of blood diseases.
- Vasculitis, compression of arteries.
- Manifestations of oxygen starvation.
Preparation and implementation of the
The diagnosis does not require special preparation, but elementary rules must be observed in order not to distort the picture of the study:
- The patient is recommended to refuse sharp, fatty foods, energy and alcoholic beverages. Also excluded is coffee, strong tea, salty foods. The use of such products leads to an increased vascular tone, speeds up blood circulation, which will lead to an incorrect assessment of the condition.
- It is recommended that you take a leisurely walk in the fresh air before starting the study.
- If the patient is taking certain medications, the specialist may offer to temporarily refuse them( without prejudice to health).For everyone, it is obligatory to abandon vitamin complexes, drugs that improve memory and concentration, for several days before the diagnosis.
Duplex scanning of the OCA for the patient is a simple procedure, it can be performed in an outpatient setting. Implementation is provided by the same tool base as the ultrasound examination. The patient needs to take a comfortable position, free the necessary part of the body from the clothes, relax. The session takes from 20 to 60 minutes.
Duplex scanning of the BSA is the key to diagnosing a variety of abnormalities, diseases or congenital pathologies that have little or no manifestation at all. Nevertheless, any anomalies or prerequisites for the disease have their consequences and explain the general condition of the patient. For example, diagnosing thickening of the walls of blood vessels causes suspicion of Takayasu's syndrome. According to its manifestations and clinical picture, it is very similar to atherosclerosis. The study can demonstrate the difference in the upper values of blood pressure in the shoulders, such a symptom reflects the blockage of the vessels of the vertebral artery.
Reading and deciphering the results is the task of a neurologist or a vascular surgeon. A normal vessel has a uniform surface, a sufficient width of lumen and wall thickness, which ensures uninterrupted movement of blood flow. The doctor, describing the results of the diagnosis, indicates the characteristics of deformations, their location, qualitative indices, the type of vascular lesion.
To determine the degree of deviation, the research data are compared with the norm values. On the basis of the results obtained, the diagnosis of arterial, cardiac and brain diseases is carried out. Duplex scanning of BCA is an intermediate procedure, the final diagnosis requires additional measures and analyzes.
pays attention to When decoding the main ones are the blood flow indicators, which reflect the diastolic and systolic blood flow rate, the resistance and the diameter of the vessel under study. Any deviation from normal indicators in the direction of decrease or increase signals the presence of the disease.
Also in the transcript of the study, the features of the state of the vessels, existing changes, pathologies, etc. are indicated. In some cases, diagnostics is done with a horizontal and vertical position of the body for in-depth study of changes in the state.
Diagnostics in Omsk and St. Petersburg
Duplex scanning of OCA in Omsk is offered by more than 65 medical institutions, among them:
- Center "Artmed", the cost is from 990 rubles.
- Central Clinical Hospital, the price of the procedure starts from 600 rubles.
- Center FMBA, the cost of diagnosis of blood vessels - from 1100 rubles.
- The railway hospital has established the cost of the study from 785 rubles.
- MES №9 offers duplex scanning with a starting cost of 750 rubles.
Duplex scanning of the OCA in St. Petersburg provides more than 530 clinics of state and private forms of ownership. The price ranges from 480 to 6500 rubles. For example:
- Study for children in the center of ultrasound "Medica" - 1550 rubles.
- Center Pirogov on Fontanka performs the procedure at a price of 2200 rubles.
- Hospital №40 in Sestroretsk offers duplex scanning of the BCA at a cost of 900 rubles.
- Research Institute of Phthisiopulmonology evaluates the study of vessels with a starting price of 1500 rubles.
Each patient independently determines where to undergo the duplex scanning of the OCA, most often the direction of the study is given by the attending physician. In some clinics, this type of diagnostics is free of charge - according to the MHI policies.