Astasia-abasia: causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of the syndrome
What is astasia-abasia? The answer to this difficult medical question will be presented below. We will also talk about how the disease manifests itself, what causes it to develop, how it is diagnosed and treated.
What is a disease like astasia-abasia? The name of this disease consists of two words. Let's consider the meaning of each right now.
The term "astasia" has a Greek origin and is translated as "standing" or "posture".In other words, it denotes the inability to stand, which is caused by a violation of the coordination of the body's muscular tissues in the lesions of the( extensive) corpus callosum and frontal lobes of the brain. It should also be noted that the disease in question often develops in hysterical syndrome and may be a sign of cortical ataxia.
What is abasia? This term also comes from the Greek word for "walking".In medical practice this word is used to refer to the loss of the ability to walk. As a rule, such a pathological condition occurs in diseases of the NA associated with motor disorders of the legs and disorders of the body's balance. In this case, the patient can exercise the movement of the lower limbs, but only in the supine position.
Most often, astasia-abasia develops in a complex. Separately, these diseases are not considered.
Forms of the disease
Astasia-abasia can occur in different forms. Specialists distinguish paralytic, tremor, trochaic and spastic forms. This disease is also subdivided into the following types:
- Frontal astasia-abasia usually develops in lesions of the frontal lobes of the brain. In this case, the patient is unable to walk, stand and even sit. This disease is often combined with other symptoms of brain damage, including inarticulate speech, oral automatisms, smacking lips, pulling the lips with a tube and so on.
- Subcortical disease develops in the defeat of the thalamus and subcortical ganglia. With this deviation a person is able to stand and walk, but only with support. In a standing position without support, it falls backwards or forwards, but with the support under the arms it can perform simple movements that mimic walking.
- The psychogenic appearance of the disease is associated with hysteria. All violations of muscle tone and coordination of a person are associated with a traumatic situation( illness of the native person, strong offense, etc.).This syndrome is stopped when resolving the problems that have arisen.
Causes of development of
Why does physiological astasia-abasia occur? The cause of the development of this condition can be a disease or a process that disrupts the structure of the cerebellum, the frontal cords, the corpus callosum, the subcortical ganglia, and the pathways connecting these areas to other brain departments.
Also, astasia-abasia syndrome often occurs due to:
- traumas of the cranium and brain, as well as their consequences;
- brain tumors, including cerebellum;
- hemorrhage in the brain;
- acute stroke or chronic impairment of cerebral circulation;
- demyelinating diseases, which are accompanied by the breakdown of myelin( that is, the protein, which ensures a rapid impulses along nerve fibers);
- abscess of the cerebellum or brain;
- neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Levy bodies, Pick's disease;
The main symptoms of the disease
The main sign of the development of the disease in question is the inability of a person to walk. Thus the patient constantly keeps a lying position. He can not get up on his own and go even a few meters( due to severe dizziness and disruption of coordination of movements).In this case, in the supine position, the patient is able to actively move the body and limbs.
When trying to put a patient on his feet, he starts actively grabbing for any support. Also, the patient spreads his legs widely in order to maintain his balance.
To diagnose this disease, you should consult a doctor. In this case, the doctor must first of all interview the patient. In the process, he finds out:
- how long the patient has developed inability to walk;
- whether he can move the lower limbs with support under the arm or not;
- how quickly the disease progressed.
It should also be noted that the diagnosis of astasia-abasia is based on the following actions of a specialist:
- A neurological examination that evaluates muscle strength and muscle tone in a sitting and lying position, checks the coordination of movements( lying down), and balances the balanceRomberg pose. In addition, reflexes on hands and feet are evaluated.
- CT and MRI of the head. Their conduct allows you to layer by layer to study the structure of the brain and to identify the true cause of the disease.
- Psychiatrist examination, during which a psychotraumatic situation is detected.
- Consultation of the physician.
Astasia-abasia: treatment of
Treatment of this condition should be aimed at eliminating the underlying disease. Usually, this disease is treated by:
- Surgical removal of the tumor.
- Surgical removal of the abscess from the cranial cavity.
- Antibacterial treatment for the purpose of prompt suppression of infection.
- Removal of hemorrhage if this pathology is available for surgery.
It should also be noted that in cases of cerebral circulation disorders, the patient is normalized by arterial pressure and given drugs that improve metabolism and cerebral blood flow.
In addition, for the treatment of astasia-abazii provided:
- Classes with a specialist LFK( training in maintaining coordination of movements, balance and training of muscle strength).
- Taking medications that improve the nutrition of the brain.
Prevention of astasia-abasia provides:
- Maintaining a healthy life style.
- Prompt treatment to the doctor in case of various symptoms of the disease.
- Balanced power.
- Refusal from drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Regular monitoring of blood pressure.