Treadmill test: what is it, indications and contraindications, procedure description and results
A treadmill test is a method of diagnosing ischemic disease. This study is used in cardiology.
Description of the study
Now we will talk about the treadmill test. What is it and what is it for? The advantage of this test is that it can help determine the presence of ischemic disease in the body at an early stage.
Doctors advise taking it once a year for preventive purposes. Men are recommended to do from the age of 45, and women from the age of 50.Do not wait for any malaise. After all, some diseases appear already at a later stage. Early diagnosis of ailments will help restore the human body to a healthy state much faster.
The test of the treadmill test is also prescribed by the doctor if the patient complains of chest pain. In order to make a diagnosis, a doctor should appoint a person to a survey, according to his results, it becomes possible to determine a particular disease. For example, pain in the chest can be associated with heart disease, changes in the spine, or disorders of the nervous system.
Treadmill test doctors appoint patients who have already been diagnosed with coronary artery disease. It is necessary in order to see how the body reacts to the prescribed treatment. Through the treadmill test, it is possible to determine the patency of arteries after stenting and bypass.
Additions and contraindications
What can be the obsessions of those who have passed the treadmill test? Contraindications to the procedure will be discussed below.
This test is safe. It practically does not cause complications after its carrying out. But they are possible mainly due to the fact that the patient had contraindications to his conduct or was incorrectly instructed. Contraindications include such diseases and pathologies as:
- unstable angina;
- marked circulatory failure;
- acute endocarditis;
- arterial hypertension;
- pulmonary hypertension;
- rhythm disturbance;
- postinfarction left ventricular aneurysm;
- marked aortic stenosis;
- blood clots in the ventricles of the heart and others.
How is it implemented?
We found out what kind of testimony that was assigned to the treadmill test, what it is, we have already figured out. Now let's talk about the procedure itself. In order to pass the test, the patient needs to walk on the treadmill. Special sensors are attached to the person. Also, you need to attach a special cuff for measuring blood pressure. The doctor must exercise control over the patient's condition.
At the beginning of the test, a person is asked to just walk along the path without any load. Then every three minutes, the load on the body of the subject is done. Namely, the speed of walking increases and the slope of the track is made.
Incomplete study of
Now we will talk about the unfinished treadmill test. What it is? The test can be stopped if the patient asks for it. Reasons for stopping walking may be the following reasons:
- The patient may begin to feel dizzy.
- Presence of pain in the head.
- Appearance of shortness of breath.
- Painful sensations in the thoracic region.
- Strong fatigue.
What does the doctor pay attention to after the study?
If the test is completed, the physician draws attention to the following indicators:
- Electrocardiogram. It shows ischemic heart rate.
- Arrhythmia or blockade of the heart.
- When increasing the load, the norm is the increase in the person's pulse. If the heart rate decreases and blood pressure drops, then this is an indication of any pathology.
- Also, too frequent pulse and high blood pressure indicate pathological changes in the body.
Treadmill test. Result and conclusions of Dr.
As a result of the passed test the doctor makes the conclusion, it can be of several kinds.
- Negative test result. This means that there were no abnormalities in the functioning of the human heart system and there is no ischemic disease. If a person has received such a doctor's conclusion after passing the test, then he has nothing to worry about. Now he can pass the test in a year for preventive purposes.
- Positive indicator. This result means that the blood supply to the heart has been disturbed. The reason for it, as a rule, is atherosclerosis. If the result of the test is positive and at the time of it the person felt not very comfortable, then he is assigned coronarography.
- Positive test score with a postscript "clinically".This conclusion means that there are no abnormalities, but the patient's complaints indicate an indirect presence in the body of coronary heart disease. In this case, atherosclerosis is possible, but also this disease may not be detected.
- Doubtful test result. This result indicates that the patient has any prerequisites for pathology in his body. For example, during testing a person can complain about chest pain. The indicator of this test is evaluated by a doctor as 50 to 50.
- Unfinished test score. This result is fixed when the patient refuses to conduct the research to the end. The test result can not be determined. Since the heart rate did not reach the desired level. Therefore, the doctor fixes this result.
A treadmill test is necessary for diagnosing coronary heart disease at an early stage. This is a very important point. Since the treatment of coronary heart disease at an early stage helps to avoid myocardial infarction.
Prevention of heart disease is necessary. Since the heart is one of the most important organs. Therefore, do not be lazy and go through all possible research to prevent any diseases associated with his work.
Bicycle ergometry, treadmill test. Differences
Two of these tests are similar in that they disperse the heart rate to a certain frequency. The difference is that when a person is examined through a treadmill test, he walks along the path. And with veloergometry, the patient uses a bicycle type simulator.
Someone prefers to follow the path, so he uses tests on the treadmill. Someone more like a bicycle, because of what he chooses bicycle ergometry. Also, a doctor can advise a patient to undergo a certain examination.
Now you know a lot about the study of the treadmill test, what it is, we have described in detail. They also indicated what indications and contraindications are for carrying out such a procedure.