What should I do if I vomit before the doctor comes?
Quite often in adults and children there is such an unpleasant phenomenon as nausea and vomiting. Especially suffer from this kids - any change in diet, stress or trauma can cause regurgitation of everything eaten. In most cases, vomiting occurs after a while, while following a certain diet. But if it happens more often than every hour, lasts more than a day, or suffer from it children, then the doctor must be called necessarily. And since most often his visit may linger, then you need to provide first aid to the patient. Especially parents of young children should know what to do when vomiting before the arrival of a doctor. It is very important that the child does not suffer, and there are no complications.
Why vomiting occurs
The condition when there is a sudden emptying of the stomach through the mouth can occur for various reasons. Vomiting is a complex physiological process associated with the work of the stomach, liver, vestibular apparatus and brain. Therefore, various violations in the work of these organs can cause it:
- is the most common cause of vomiting - poisoning with poor-quality food, unusual products or medicines;
- infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract almost always cause gastric emptying through the mouth;
- ARVI, otitis media, pneumonia and even a simple cough can also cause vomiting;
- Gastric emptying through the mouth may occur with gastritis, ulceration or impaired liver or intestinal function;
- trauma and concussion of the brain are also often accompanied by vomiting;
- some very sensitive people and children in this way react to severe stress.
Than vomiting is dangerous
Do not always have to try to stop this condition. In most cases, vomiting is associated with ingestion of toxins, poisons, or infections in the gastrointestinal tract. In this way the body tries to get rid of them. If vomiting is stopped artificially with the help of any drugs, general intoxication may develop. But it is necessary to help the patient, since such a condition can cause severe dehydration of a person. With the vomit, the patient loses a lot of fluid, especially it is dangerous for children. Therefore it is important to know what to do when vomiting, to ease the patient's condition and prevent dehydration. It is dangerous such emptying of the stomach can also be in young children and patients without consciousness, since they can be drowned.
Vomiting without fever and temperature
What if the digestive upset is not accompanied by fever and dyspepsia? The most possible explanation for this condition is poisoning with poor-quality food, chemicals, overeating or reaction to medications. Most often in this case, vomiting occurs without temperature and diarrhea. What if this happened?
The main thing is to remove toxins and prevent dehydration. To do this, wash your stomach as soon as possible after drinking at least two liters of water. It should be boiled and a little warm. To prevent dehydration, you need to drink as much water as possible. This is especially important for children. To restore the water and mineral balance of the body you need to drink a solution of "Regidron".
And what to do when vomiting, when it is repeated often, causes noticeable inconvenience, but is not caused by poisoning? This can be understood by the absence of abdominal pain and symptoms of intoxication. Before the arrival of a doctor, you should drink a pill "Tserukala", which suppresses the gag reflex.
What to do when vomiting
If emptying the stomach occurs more often than every hour, it is advisable to call a doctor. Prior to his arrival, the patient must be given first aid. The easiest case is when there is vomiting without fever. What to do with this?
- put the patient in bed, better on his side;
- as often as possible to drink small portions of water, tea or unsweetened compote;
- to facilitate the patient's condition, powders containing salts of potassium and magnesium "Regidron" or "Oralin" will help;if you can not buy them, then you need to dissolve a teaspoon of salt and sugar in a liter of boiled water;
- it is recommended to drink activated charcoal - 1 tablet per 10 kilograms of weight;
- on the stomach can put ice;
- with nausea, if there is no strong urge to vomit, it is recommended to smell essential oil of mint or ammonia.
With intestinal infections, diarrhea, vomiting and fever are observed. What to do in this case? Before the doctor comes, you can drink enterosorbent - activated carbon or "Polysorb".It is acceptable to start taking antiseptics that do not irritate the gastrointestinal tract, for example, Enterol or Ersefuril.
What not to do
If vomiting is frequent, pain, diarrhea or fever is present, and if there is a suspicion of an infectious disease or head injury, you should always call a doctor. Prior to his arrival it is impossible:
- take antibiotics and other chemotherapeutic drugs;
- drink painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs;
- applying to the stomach a heating pad.
Vomiting in a child
If this happens once and is not accompanied by other symptoms, there is nothing to worry about. This can happen if the child's teeth are chopped, he tried unfamiliar food, tried to swallow a large piece, something greatly frightened or injured. But most often such emptying of the stomach occurs with acute intestinal infections and other diseases. In this case, the child develops vomiting and diarrhea. What if this happened?
- immediately need to call a doctor;
- the child needs to be put in bed, but immediately when vomiting should be put it or turn it on its side;
- not leaving the kid alone;
- after vomiting, wipe your lips and face, preferably rinse your mouth;
- is very important for a child to drink a lot: every 10 minutes give 2-3 sips;
- if the baby is breast-feeding, as often as possible, it should be applied to the breast;
- baby to drink better glucose-salt solutions, which can be purchased at a pharmacy or done by yourself.
Some surgical diseases, for example, appendicitis, lead to the fact that the child experiences vomiting and fever. What to do in this case? Immediately need to call an ambulance. Before her arrival, you should put the child in bed, give him a little drink, and on the stomach you can put a hot-water bottle with ice.
Diet for vomiting
Whatever the reasons for this condition, on the first day it is advisable to refuse to eat. This is especially important for poisoning. You just need to drink a lot: water, tea, broth of wild rose, compote from dried fruits or rice decoction. To restore the loss of minerals, prepare a glucose-saline solution.
What do you need?
- boil 100 grams of raisins in a liter of water for at least half an hour, rub through a sieve and drain;
- add to the broth a teaspoon of salt, half a spoonful of soda and 3-4 tablespoons of sugar;
- mixture boil for 2-3 minutes and cool.
When vomiting becomes less frequent, you can begin to eat a little. It is best to refresh yourself with mashed potatoes, dried bread, oatmeal or rice porridge on water or boiled lean meat. You can eat bananas and apple sauce. The food should be divided, that is, in small portions, but often. It is undesirable to eat if you do not want to.
What can I give drugs
- The most important thing is to prevent dehydration and loss of minerals. For this purpose it is necessary to drink water-salt solutions: "Regidron", "Citroglyukosolan" or "Oralin".
- To make it easier for the body to cope with possibly ingested toxins, enterosorbents are needed. For this purpose, activated carbon, Polysorb, Polyphepan, Filter Sti, Smecta or Lignosorb are used.
- When intestinal infections occur frequent diarrhea and vomiting. What to do in this case? Before the tests can begin to receive intestinal antiseptics or antimicrobial biopreparations. They are active against most bacteria and do not suppress immunity. It is best to use Ersefuril, Biosporin, Bactisubtil or Enterol.
- For infections and poisoning from vomiting probiotics are good. It is best to use Linex, Hilak Forte, Primadofilus or Bifidumbacterin.
- In case of indigestible vomiting due to stress, motion sickness or allergies, you can drink drugs that suppress the gag reflex - "Cerucal" or "Motilium".But they are contraindicated in intestinal infections and poisoning.