Glycemic profile - what is it, norms and deviations
What is a glycemic profile? This is a dynamic observation of the level of sugar in the blood. Most often, this type of study is prescribed for people who have diabetes. A blood test will show how the body reacts to the treatment process. This check shows what level of sugar is present in the patient's blood during the day. This procedure can be carried out at home.
If a person has type 2 diabetes, then this means that he needs to go through this study. Also, the analysis is assigned to women who are in a state of pregnancy. Glucose and its importance. What is a glycemic profile? Blood analysis for sugar
Glucose is involved in the metabolic processes of the body. It is formed after the cells of the carbohydrate composition completely disintegrate. Glucose is the energy charge of the human body.
In the case when a person is suffering from diabetes mellitus, the blood sugar level is too high. This is due to the fact that the tissues of the body do not absorb glucose in the required volume. Such a state causes a person to feel unwell, processes that lead to a deterioration in the general state of the person begin.
What factors determine the level of glucose in the human body
There is a list of factors that can cause a malfunction. As a result, the level of glucose in the blood of a person increases.
- Saturation of the body with carbohydrates, supersaturation of the body.
- Functioning of the pancreas. If there is any failure in the work of this body, then this can cause the appearance of such an ailment as diabetes.
- The absence of any hormones in the human hormonal system. Namely, those whose activities are aimed at the production of insulin.
- Normal state of the physical and mental state of the human body.
The status of the glucose meter can be adjusted by special tests that show its significance. The effect of these tests is aimed at measuring the parameters of the profile of glycemic and glucosuric characters.
If a patient has a malaise such as diabetes mellitus, which is of the first or second type, then by obtaining these indicators you can see how the level of sugar in the blood of a person changes.
Glycemic profile in diabetes mellitus and in a healthy person. Norm
The glycemic profile of the patient can be performed independently at home. To do this, he should know the special rules for blood sampling. Determination of the glycemic profile is prescribed with:
- The diagnosis of such a diagnosis as diabetes. With this disease, glucose values in the blood exceed 7.8 mmol / l.
- Treatment of diabetes. To analyze how the body reacts to this or that system.
- Therapy by insulin: the patient needs indicators that are obtained through a glycemic profile.
- Pregnancy. Women in the period of bearing a child is assigned an analysis on the glycemic profile during pregnancy. The norm of glycemia for healthy people is 3.3-5.5 mmol / l. For pregnant women, the figure is exactly the same. Excess of the glycemic profile during pregnancy should not be. When diagnosing "diabetes mellitus" or refuting the girls who are in a state of pregnancy, this treatment is also prescribed.
- In the case where glucose is present in the blood or urine, the subject is also assigned a glycemic profile.
For a person who has elevated blood sugar, a proper treatment regimen should be prescribed. It is needed in order to determine whether the reception of these or other drugs the desired effect or need an adjustment. In addition to special medicines, the patient is prescribed a certain diet, which he must adhere to.
How to pass this study
To get the right results of a blood test for a glycemic profile, it is worth knowing how the examination is. The patient should comply with the following conditions for this study:
- Blood sampling is often necessary. Namely, six or eight times a day.
- Test results must be fixed in a certain order, sequentially.
- If the patient's treatment regimen does not contain drugs that contain hormones, then a blood test is recommended every month.
- Before making an analysis, a norm score must be established, which is determined by the endocrinologist. That is, the patient must visit this specialist without fail.
There is a special device, through which research is carried out. It's called a glucometer. For the reliability and informativeness of the data obtained, you should use a single meter.
Basic stages of testing
In order to avoid errors in the received data, special conditions must be observed.
- First of all, it is necessary to carry out the procedure for washing hands. Do not use detergent with perfume or fragrance. It will be better if the soap is neutral in nature without any additions.
- Do not use alcohol as a means to carry out the disinfection process. They can be used at the last stage of the procedure.
- Before taking the material for examination, several massage movements should be performed on the finger from which the blood will be taken. It is necessary to warm it up. Further, when blood is taken, no pressure should be applied. From the heated finger, it will flow independently, without pressure.
- In order for the blood to circulate better, place the puncture in a warm place. For example, in warm water or place a hand next to the radiator.
- In no case should you allow the cream or other cosmetic product to enter the place where the puncture will be performed. Since these substances can cause a distortion of the results obtained.
How the daily profile of glucose
is determined We have already found out what it is, the glycemic profile. Now let's talk about how he is defined.
The main advantage of the daily analysis is that it becomes possible to see how the sugar values change during the day. This allows patients to find out what kind of reaction the body is receiving. And also due to what factors or products there is an increase in glucose level.
In order to obtain the necessary data for the study, a certain algorithm should be observed:
- The first sampling of the material should be done in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Next, make fences after eating a meal with a time interval of 2 hours.
- Make screening just before bedtime.
- At night, also take material. Time intervals can reach a three-hour break.
For those patients who are diagnosed with diabetes mellitus and they take insulin, a short profile profile can be performed. It consists in the fact that the first blood sample is taken early in the morning before eating. Then 3 or 4 more after a meal. Such data will be sufficient to obtain the desired results.
Which group of patients is required to perform this examination
The frequency of the procedure for the study of such an indicator as the glycemic profile is determined individually and depends on the patient's condition.
- In the case when a person has a first type of disease, the frequency of the procedure is determined by the attending physician. Also, this indicator depends on its condition.
- If the patient suffers from an initial form of a condition such as hyperclycemia, then this test is recommended to be performed monthly. You can use his shortened version of the fence and study.
- A person who takes insulin should perform an analysis to determine the indicator, such as the glycemic profile, weekly. If the test is carried out every week, you can use its shortened version. However, once a month you need to complete the glycemic profile.
The received data allow to make an estimation of a condition of the patient with the minimum error and to appoint more effective treatment which will lead to stabilization of its condition.
Now you know what it is, the glycemic profile. We also indicated when and why this analysis is taken. We hope that this information was useful to you.