"Clonidine": instructions for use, analogs, form of release. Reviews about the drug
"Clonidine" is a potent antihypertensive drug. It is used to lower blood pressure and reduce heart rate. Many elderly people are familiar with the drug called "Clofelin".He is often prescribed to suffer from hypertension. In addition, ophthalmic practice also uses drops "Clonidine."Instruction for use recommends doing this only as directed by the doctor, since the drug has contraindications and many side effects. But he is used often, especially in a hospital for the treatment of hypertensive crises and in other emergency situations. If the doctor prescribes this medicine for out-patient treatment, then the instruction for use is required before studying the Clonidine drug.
Description of the preparation
It belongs to the group of imidazoline derivatives. This substance stimulates alpha-adrenoreceptors and has hypotensive and sedative effects. Its action is directed to the sympathetic department of the peripheral nervous system and the vasomotor center in the medulla oblongata. When it is taken, the production of hormones of norepinephrine and epinephrine decreases. The drug is rapidly absorbed, and the effect is observed after half an hour after ingestion. It is quite active even at the lowest dosages, it starts to work in half an hour, and the effect lasts up to 12 hours. It is excreted mainly by the kidneys and partly by the intestine.
How does Clonidine work?
- Reduces the heart rate.
- Increases the tone of the vessels of the brain.
- Increases renal and cerebral blood flow.
- Has a strong sedative, and in large doses - a hypnotic effect.
- Eliminates the feeling of fear.
- Reduces arterial and intraocular pressure.
When is the drug used?
Only according to the doctor's prescription, "Clonidine" can be used. Instructions for use recommend doing this in case of emergency to reduce pressure. At what diseases are prescribed this medicine?
- With arterial hypertension.
- Hypertensive crisis.
- Open angle glaucoma.
Sometimes the drug is prescribed for complex therapy in other conditions:
- headaches of a vascular nature;
- for the treatment of vasomotor symptoms in menopause;
- for relief of abstinence syndrome with alcoholism.
"Clonidine" in ophthalmology
After the administration of drops into the conjunctival sac, the formation of intraocular fluid decreases and its outflow improves. This helps to reduce intraocular pressure, which is necessary in the treatment of glaucoma. Begin therapy with 0.25% solution, drop by drop in each eye 2-4 times a day. But in the absence of effect, it is possible to use 0.5% "Clonidine". In case of instillation into the eye, there may be side effects: dryness, sensation of foreign body, burning, swelling, and even conjunctivitis. In this case either cancel the drug, or pass to a less concentrated solution. But in any case, the therapy is carried out under the supervision of a doctor. To prevent the system from causing systemic side effects, such as a severe drop in pressure, after digging in, it is necessary to press the area of the lacrimal sac with your fingers for a couple of minutes. It should also be known that in the treatment it is undesirable to use contact lenses, since the intraocular fluid at this time is produced less and the development of side effects is possible. Contraindicated instillation of the drug in the eyes also in the presence of infectious and inflammatory diseases.
"Clonidine": instruction for use
The form of release of the drug is a solution for injections and tablets. On the form in which it is used, the features of application depend. The dosage should be strictly adhered to individually.
1. In case of emergency, if necessary, quickly reduce the pressure, intramuscularly or intravenously, "Clonidine."Instructions for use in ampoules do not recommend using it more than 150 micrograms at a time.
2. In ophthalmology apply 0.25% solution of the drug. It is buried in the eyes with open-angle glaucoma up to 4 times a day.
3. For an outpatient treatment, use "Clonidine" orally. Instructions for use of the pill are recommended to drink three times a day, and gradually increase the dose. Maximum of a day can take no more than 2.4 mg of the drug. The course of treatment is usually 1-2 months.
Contraindications to its administration
There are many diseases in which you can not drink "Clonidine".Instruction for use prohibits its use in such cases:
- with hypotension;
- expressed atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- sinus bradycardia;
- pregnancy and lactation.
In some cases, therapy is only possible under medical supervision:
- with myocardial infarction;
- diabetes mellitus;
- chronic heart failure;
- severe impairment of liver and kidney function;
is an abstinence syndrome in addicts.
What causes side effects?
- Drowsiness, slowing of reaction, depression and weakness.
- Strong decrease in blood pressure.
- Hallucinations, anxiety and dizziness.
- Decreased appetite, nausea, constipation, dry mouth.
- Violation of the functions of the liver.
- Allergic reactions.
- Edema and stuffiness of the nose.
What do I need to know when I treat Clonidine?
- With a sharp drug cancellation, there may be increased pressure, heart palpitations, headache and anxiety. Therefore, the therapy should be discontinued gradually, reducing the dose within a week.
- Intravenous use of the drug is used rarely, because with rapid administration, a sudden increase in pressure is possible.
- If there is no effect after two days of admission, therapy should be discontinued.
- It is forbidden to take alcoholic beverages during treatment.
- With the joint administration of "clonidine" with calcium channel blockers or digitalis glycosides, it is necessary to control the heart rhythm.
- In the treatment it is not recommended to engage in activities related to increased concentration of attention, for example driving a car.
- With care, you need to approach the joint administration of several drugs."Clonidine" when combined with certain drugs can enhance or weaken their action and even cause undesirable side effects.
- With intravenous and intramuscular injection, care must be taken not to do this too quickly. In addition, it is necessary to lie down after the procedure for at least an hour.
Analogues of the drug
There are several drugs containing this active substance:
- "Clofelin" in solution and tablets;
Of these, the most popular is "Clofelin".Its price is low - about 80 rubles, so in hospitals it is most often used. After all, the effectiveness of this analogue is the same because of the presence of one active substance.
Feedback on the treatment of
This drug is only available on prescription. But the patients' reviews about him are mostly positive. It is especially effective in hypertensive crisis "Clonidine".The instructions for use recommend using it also for high blood pressure, headaches and other vascular disorders. Many patients like its pronounced soothing effect. Especially often, positive feedback is left by elderly patients. Those who have long used the drug, rarely there are any side effects, except dry mouth or nasal congestion. But many doctors do not always appoint "Clonidine."Instructions for use of its analogs in some cases, it is more appropriate.