Leukocytosis in children: causes and treatment
Scientists have long proven that the number of cells in a child's blood can constantly change, in children this process is much faster, so when the number of cells increases, it is called leukocytosis. Leukocytosis in children can be temporary, if you pass the tests after a while, then it can be said with certainty that everything has returned to normal, but there are cases when leukocytosis has to be treated, or rather, it is necessary to eliminate the cause that could cause it.
What causes leukocytosis?
As a rule, doctors claim that leukocytosis in the blood of children can manifest themselves on the basis of non-physiological reasons, but also not pathological. Parents in case the tests showed an increase in white blood cells in the child's blood, it is by no means to panic, it will be more correct to look for the reason why this could happen.
If you carefully study the individual characteristics of the body, then we can identify those moments that are capable of provoking an increase in leukocytes:
- First of all, physiological factors are taken into account. If the child is actively involved in sports and the body has a high physical load, if the child has overheated in the sun or took too hot a bath, the level of white cells can increase. Also sometimes the cause is hidden in a long medication intake.
- Often, the leukocytosis in children can manifest at the age of up to a year, this is due to the fact that it is during this period that the small man's immune system begins to form. When a child eats breast milk, he receives antibodies with breast milk, when lure begins, the immune system becomes weaker, which provokes leukocytosis.
- Children, like adults, can be subjected to stress, so any stressful situation or experiences can lead to leaps in the number of leukocytes in the body.
- Allergic reaction also becomes the main cause of leukocyte change.
- If leukocytosis is found in the blood of children, the cause should be looked for in infectious diseases, for example, it can be viral infections, as well as diseases of a fungal and bacterial nature.
- The level of white blood cells also increases when a child gets some kind of trauma, especially if it is associated with a burn to withstand this condition, the immune system triggers such a reaction as a defense.
- The most terrible cause can be cancer, in which case you should talk about leukemia and leukemia. The doctor can make an accurate diagnosis by taking the cells for cytology.
How can I recognize leukocytosis?
The child may not be present with any symptoms, sometimes it is possible to detect leukocytosis only by performing a diagnosis, that's why doctors recommend that at least once a half a year they take a blood test of the baby so that it can be timely responded to such a deviation in the body. Of course, sometimes you can recognize the increased leukocytosis of a child if you pay attention to such symptoms:
- A small child can quickly get tired, eyesight worsens, dizziness develops, a kid can complain about leg pain and often sleep.
- Sometimes subfebrile temperature is manifested.
- The baby sweats a lot, but his body remains cold.
- Rapidly losing weight and completely losing appetite.
- At night, the child restlessly asleep.
All these signs should be noted, since this can primarily indicate an inflammatory process in the child's body, and this is how a virus infection can begin. As you can see, if the diagnosis reveals leukocytosis in a child, the causes can be searched in absolutely different directions, so a qualified specialist should prescribe the treatment.
What are the age norms of leukocytes?
For each age there are norms of the maintenance of leucocytes in an organism. A child who has just been born faces a huge problem, after all, he finds himself in a world full of germs and bacteria, so the yet unformed immune system tries in every possible way to deal with the strain exerted on it. In newborn children, the level of leukocytes can reach up to 24.5 leukocytes per 109 / l, with time, of course, these indicators begin to decrease. Thus, at the age of six months this indicator is only 13.5 per 109 / l. By the year the level of leukocytes decreases to 12 per 109 / l. And by the age of 12 the level of leukocytes in the blood completely reaches the level of an adult and should not exceed 4 leukocytes per 109 / l.
It should be noted that the amount of white blood cells in the body of a child can vary continuously, it is also considered the norm.
Types of leukocytosis
In medicine, there are several forms of leukocytosis.
- Most often, a short-term view is determined when there is a sharp release of leukocytes into the blood due to stress, this condition quickly passes, but there are cases when leukocytosis occurs during infectious diseases, and the level of white blood cells comes back to normal with the recovery of a small patient.
- High leukocytosis in the blood of a child can be directly related to pathologies, they can be hereditary.
- The lymphocytic form often occurs when the level of white blood cells is much different in the blood from the norm, for example, this occurs when a child has a chronic illness for a long time.
- Basophilic form can occur with frequent colitis in a child.
- Monocyte species is characteristic of malignant formations in the body.
What if my leukocytosis was found in a newborn baby?
For a newborn baby, deviations in the level of leukocytes in the blood are often considered to be the norm, so parents should clearly understand that the immune system of an adult and a young child is very different. A kid can suffer from frequent infectious diseases, malnutrition, and also from heredity. Of course, if the increase in leukocytes in the blood is accompanied by any other disease, then first of all it is necessary to eliminate the disease, after which the white blood cells can come back to normal.
Pediatricians recommend giving blood for analysis at least once every six months, it helps to identify serious abnormalities in the body in the early stages, especially since in some cases, leukocytosis in children under one year is hidden.
What if the white blood cell count increased?
If the child has been found to have an increase in white blood cells in the blood, then immediately begin to treat the cause itself. Depending on what the child is sick, the doctor can prescribe antibiotics that help reduce the inflammatory process in the body. In more serious cases, when the disease occurs in severe form, leukopheresis is prescribed, in which blood cells are extracted from the child's body, and then poured again.
Diagnosis of leukocytosis
First of all, of course, it is necessary to make a detailed blood test, which will be able to show the level of leukocytes in the blood, different types of white blood cells are indicated in a percentage ratio, which is derived from a special formula called "leukogram".The leukogram is made taking into account the child's age, because for each age there is a different norm. If the body increases the number of eosinophils, it indicates that the child has an allergic reaction, neutrophils increase in inflammatory processes in the lungs. To give blood for analysis is best in the morning, while it is desirable that the child did not eat anything. Increased leukocytosis of a child's blood can not always indicate pathological processes in the body of a small man, therefore, after a while it is recommended to take repeated tests.
How to treat leukocytosis?
Treatment can be prescribed only after the exact cause of this phenomenon is established, for example, physiological leukocytosis is considered to be the norm. Once the causative agent of infection is detected, a small patient may be prescribed such drugs:
- Antiviral drugs that effectively fight viruses.
- In severe cases, antibiotics may be prescribed, but they are taken solely by the doctor's order.
- Chemotherapy drugs that are aimed at maintaining the immune system.
Sometimes, when leukocytosis is found in children and the blood has a viscous consistency, leukapheresis is prescribed, in which the blood is purified.
Folk methods of treatment of leukocytosis
All folk methods are aimed at increasing the immunity of the child, therefore it is recommended to eat a large number of vegetables and fruits in food. Before going to bed, it is recommended that the child give vegetable salads that help absorb a small man more nutrients into the intestine, and everything else is easily excreted from the body. Also, you should eat more foods that are full of proteins, including nuts, cheese, seeds, beans and soy.
As you can see, leukocytosis in children is not considered a big deviation in the body, but also not paying attention to it is also not recommended. As a preventive measure, it is necessary to teach the child to lead a correct lifestyle, provide him with proper nutrition, and, of course, give blood for analysis at least once every six months.